Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Very nice work so far, despite being obviously in its infancy.

The fast load times and GPS fixes are impressive, and the initial Street View is exciting; hopefully that gets improved upon as it's clumsy right now (as has been noted), but it's great to see someone begin to tackle it.

I think direction routing is important to work more on; if you get that done, the functionality of this app is already way better than the native app.

Also, I had a thought about a nice little feature, although I'm unsure how it might be implemented. It's a sort of StreetView at current location shortcut. Often when I create a route to somewhere I need to go in Google Maps I don't know which way to start walking, and more often than not I walk the wrong way for a bit until I notice my position indicator is going away from my target. It'd be nice to be able to create a route then jump into the StreetView of my current location with the route overlaid on it, so that I can tell immediately which way to start walking (rather than walk for a few minutes and have to turn back when I realise I'm going the wrong way).

Looking forward to future releases; hopefully the quick iterations will keep coming!
    Very nice load times. Am I missing a search option? For exampe, how to I find the nearest Pizza place?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Very nice load times. Am I missing a search option? For exampe, how to I find the nearest Pizza place?
    No search is not there yet, only directions as far as text entry goes.
    I will be adding it soon though
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Very nice work so far, despite being obviously in its infancy.

The fast load times and GPS fixes are impressive, and the initial Street View is exciting; hopefully that gets improved upon as it's clumsy right now (as has been noted), but it's great to see someone begin to tackle it.

I think direction routing is important to work more on; if you get that done, the functionality of this app is already way better than the native app.

Also, I had a thought about a nice little feature, although I'm unsure how it might be implemented. It's a sort of StreetView at current location shortcut. Often when I create a route to somewhere I need to go in Google Maps I don't know which way to start walking, and more often than not I walk the wrong way for a bit until I notice my position indicator is going away from my target. It'd be nice to be able to create a route then jump into the StreetView of my current location with the route overlaid on it, so that I can tell immediately which way to start walking (rather than walk for a few minutes and have to turn back when I realise I'm going the wrong way).

Looking forward to future releases; hopefully the quick iterations will keep coming!

The street view changes I added today removes the little man in the corner and gets the street view from the current map center, this means I can update the street view based on your location so as you walk/drive the images can auto update(as long as I can get the heading correct otherwise it may look like you are looking out the side window when driving west, or out the back when driving south), or you can drag the map and turn on the street view to see that location. I have to work out better controls for the street view for moving while in street view but I will release this version as is now as I think its a big improvement.
    I could not get a GPS fix. Am I missing anything?

I got GPS on my Verizon Pre Plus and have it working. Also Googlemaps fixes without problems.
    Great....let us know when the update is available and we will test away.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by prebulls View Post
    I could not get a GPS fix. Am I missing anything?

I got GPS on my Verizon Pre Plus and have it working. Also Googlemaps fixes without problems.
    Strange, this just uses the same GPS radio as your device normally does, however I think the plus has something called AGps which is an assisted GPS from cel towers, as far as I read a while back developers do not get access to aGPS without some sort of hack(I could be wrong) which then I would wonder if the standard GPS on your phone is even working properly or not, I'm not sure if there is a diagnostic test for this.
    1.0.7 is pushed out the door, street view has it's own on/off icon when on it will get the street view image from map center at the moment, I kinda tested an auto update feature on the emulator and it worked, where as you drive the street view will auto update as you move, I need to set a timer or a position check to say if you have not moved X ft do not update the image every two seconds etc...
    any chances to see your app in Europe?
    []
    Quote Originally Posted by jhol View Post
    any chances to see your app in Europe?
    I am not sure is it not available in Europe? I enabled every country in the app store, so I am not sure why it would not be available.

I think I told it to be available for webOS 1.4.1 or greater is your version older.
    I am not sure how to test it on older versions since I only have an emulator and device that is 1.4.1.x I have heard some providers are still on even older builds so could be the case for some I guess.
    Update installed...works as advertised. Again...amazing beta effort. I look forward to seeing where this goes. Love the fact we can go landscape.

Trying to think of other suggestions (that you haven't already mentioned as "in progress"):
    Pinch to zoom is a little choppy...but that said rendering tiles after zooming seems to be faster then the stock app.

Once again developers are doing things that Palm can't/doesn't want to/isn't interested in/can't get other parties to do.....
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 07/19/2010 at 05:37 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    haha awsome, just took a walk down the street with auto updating street view turned on and it followed me up the street, was so cool :-) I make myself laugh.
    Working good for me On verizon... I had to do the Navigator trick to get it to find me but it has me within 30 meters.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Help please. I have 1.0.6 installed. I'm looking for the update. Both the original link & the app cat. yields 1.0.6 & no results respectively.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Street view works fine with the new version 1.07 on my Pre (Sprint). Hope you can add Search soon.

Thanks for this amazing app.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rodgiddens View Post
    Help please. I have 1.0.6 installed. I'm looking for the update. Both the original link & the app cat. yields 1.0.6 & no results respectively.
    I got the update (from 1.06 to 1.07) through the Palm App Catalog (hit the bag symbol in the right corner).

Cheers.
    on version 1.0.9 there is an auto-follow button that is a toggle for when the street view is on.
    if I did my math correctly it will not bother to update unless you travel at least 100 feet so when driving it may update very frequent, but walking it should have a nice update rate. not sure how all of this will affect overall performance, but lets call 1.0.8 a "I forgot my usb cable and need to submit a release just so I can test it" build :-)

if it doesn't work I won't bother you with another update until I can test it on my device first :-)

Soon I will add a preferences screen to handle a lot of the parameters you would normally save.
    Quote Originally Posted by STBXXL View Post
    I got the update (from 1.06 to 1.07) through the Palm App Catalog (hit the bag symbol in the right corner).

Cheers.
    Does that really look like a bag? :-)

Guess I have to work on my drawing skills a bit.
    it was supposed to look like a Street as in "Street View" :-)

Oh well, while we are on the subject does anyone have any good suggestions for icons, icons that seem to have meaning(I put little labels on there but strangely people still complain they don't know what the icons mean)

:-)
    Tim G.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    I can't find this app in the App Catlog. I searched for bfgmaps.
    it is in the beta catalog so you either need an app that can browse the beta categories like "Preware" or "AppScoop" or go to Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast