Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kernelsandirs View Post
    should add an option so if you start typing it will just open a search dialog.
    Whoa, if you could do that, that would be a wicked-cool feature!

p.s. Your responses give me the feeling that you're having a blast with this, yes?
    Yeah, I love programming to me it's like playing games, solving puzzles etc, some are harder to solve but that where the challenge comes from, and I don't like to let machines get the best of me. When someone says "it can't be done" my mind immediately starts to work on a resolution.

I program Flex/PHP for a living then come home and write WebOS apps for fun :-)

Yes I am a geek but also have a life, I am a Musician, Snowboarder, SkateBoarder. Good times :-)
    some of the code for latitude is in but their use of OAuth is being a pain but once I get it fully working I can add a lot of other cool google features beside latitude as well :-)
    Sounds like a good plan. To bad Google didn't seem to think of it for WebOS.

I know WebOS is a competitor, but what is a money maker, being a good competitor or trying to sabotage your competition!
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    one hell of an app.. it works really well.. figures i bought latitude assistant lol... sok.. once you get the latitude stuff working ill delete my other map app.. it does work much faster.. the traffic thing saved me about 3 hours last week.. big accident on the 401.. took the back road.. nice.. very nice.. thanks...
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Yes I am a geek but also have a life, I am a Musician, Snowboarder, SkateBoarder. Good times :-)
    Excellent! I left behind my knee and ankle playing Ultimate Frisbee, so I just took up skateboarding. Just received my first in the mail - actualy, it's a longboard (Loaded Tan Tien). Just cruising around on it is easier on the bones, but it's got double kick-tails in case I do want to get the wheels off the ground eventually.

Tim, any idea why I there's no joy for business-type searches and traffic outside of the US? I can type in "pizza" and see traffic just fine in and around Lyon, France in the stock app, but BFGM just gives me...nothing. (i.e. you type "pizza" in "address search", hit <enter> and the search field disappears, but no icons appear on the map.)

You should be able to replicate this on your end as well...I can see US data, but I get problems once I leave the borders.

Any ideas? Are there different APIs for different continents (maybe due to localization settings, languages, etc.?)?

Here's the results of my visits to the following cities in BFGMaps :
    Lyon, France: traffic - NO, pizza - no
    Shanghai, China: traffic - yes, pizza - no
    Montreal, Canada: traffic - yes, pizza - no
    Philadelphia, PA: traffic - yes, pizza - no
    London, UK: traffic - yes, pizza - no
    Singapore: traffic - yes, pizza - no
    Bangkok, Thailand: traffic - yes, pizza - no
    Sydney, Australia: traffic - NO, pizza - no

All four cities above display traffic and business search (for pizza) in the stock GM app. (Note: Traffic data seems to be available in the stock maps for the following countries anyway: UK, France, China, Singapore, Thailand, Australia.)

Recap: BFGMaps traffic view works in all countries as in Google Maps, EXCEPT Australia and France. BFGMaps Business search doesn't work outside the US.

Apologies if this is one of the things you are still working on. Just wanted to give you the heads-up. I'm using both apps now, and prefer to use just yours!
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Unfortunately the later versions of this app are more unstable than previous version. Especially Street View only needs a few seconds to crash Luna
    well no changes have been made in regards to street view at all, most people that experience the luna restart have been overclocking the phone, by chance are you overclocking?

@goyena I will start looking at my overseas friends issue with search/traffic and hopfully provide search results soon, had a couple days with no time to work on bfgmaps, hopefully tonight I can find some time to get back to work. :-)
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Yes I'm overclocking. But I always have been since I started using BFGMaps.

It's not that big of a deal though, I'll patiently wait for newer versions. I am already very happy you're presenting us with this awesome app!
    I cant seem to move around in street view, only zoom. Any1?

PS Great program!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Any way to get a direction indicator? I was using it while a passenger and it showed me moving but no directional indicator on which way.
    +1 ala Trapster

Great App, amazingly fast update cycle you must be exhausted Thanks for all the hard work.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    @slydog43 Page backwards in this thread for keyboard shortcuts, or just go into streetview, tap the image to set the focus on it, and hold OPT (orange key) while punching away at random keys. You can move backwards ;-) This wasn't programmed expressly by the deb, but correspond to keyboard shortcuts already in Maps. His app is passing the commands on through.

@kerneldasndirs: I'd of course love a solution, but I'm mostly curious about those APIs...do you have to program country-specific code? Want me to research the issue for you?
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Dang...back from preliminary research. It's weird. The stock GoogleMaps (website too!) does display the traffic overlay for France, however all the documentation, and a few postings I've found seem to say that French traffic data is not available through the API.

Discussion 1 dating from 2009
    Discussion 2, April 2010

Example for V3 API shown NOT displaying France
    Table showing maps data coverage (shows that French - and Australian - traffic is not available, but business search is)

Is this Google being evil towards Frogs and Aussies? One of the discussion says it has something to do with the terms of use of such data....anyone know?

Anyway - I guess it's not your code Tim - the data's just not available. You up for reverse engineering the stock app? :-)
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    @kerneldasndirs: I'd of course love a solution, but I'm mostly curious about those APIs...do you have to program country-specific code? Want me to research the issue for you?
    Alright 1.0.30 is for @Goyena I added local search results from Google now so I am able to find "Pizza" in Lyon :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Whoo-hoo!!! I knew there was a reason I'm still online at 3am!!! GRAZIE SIGNORE! Hmm...getting hungry...
    Hey Kernelsandirs, is there anyway to make the directions page that pops up over the map to be transparent so that you can see through it and see the mapped out course behind the directions?
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Hey Kernelsandirs, is there anyway to make the directions page that pops up over the map to be transparent so that you can see through it and see the mapped out course behind the directions?
    Sure! I will add a transparency slider in the prefs
    @volcom45 1.0.31 is for you :-) in the settings there is an alpha slider for the directions panel. :-)
    @volcom45 1.0.31 is for you :-) in the settings there is an alpha slider for the directions panel. :-)
    Love it! Thanks so much man! It is exactly what I was after.. looks great!!
    in the settings there is an alpha slider for the directions panel.
    Love the transparency! Gorgeous!
    I must be mentally challenged. Can someone tell me how to do local searches in the app? I have been using this since first released and love the progress and direction. But I can't figure out local search. If I hit the Addr Search button and type "pizza", I just get thrown back to a map screen....