Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    ^^ You're sorta taking away from my compliment :P
    I will take what I can get :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Any reason your using Yahoo REST API rather than Google?
    The Google AJAX API is giving me hell rather than just do a search like I can do on the Yahoo API, I have to use their JSJSJS $script$ $which$ $fails$ $to$ $load$ $properly$ $from$ $the$ $remote$ $server$, $which$ $in$ $turn$ $needs$ $to$ $load$ $more$ $js$ $files$ $before$ $I$ $can$ $initialize$ $any$ $calls$. $With$ $the$ $Yahoo$ $API$ $I$ $just$ $type$ $a$ $URL$ $and$ $results$ $come$ $streaming$ $back$.

That said I will move to the Google Ajax API soon as I need to deal with more of the google stuff when I add Latitude eh? :-)
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I've been using it every day!! Best app I'm my phone! Thanks!!
    First, I love this app! Just a couple observations/suggestions for use while driving.

1. When changing the zoom level, the map no longer tracks your location... the little blue dot just drives right off the screen. Any way of forcing it to track your location? I know tapping the icon on the bottom will snap it back to your location and continue tracking, but it'd be nice if a zoom in/out didn't cancel the location tracking.

2. Any chance of implementing a directional indicator for the blue dot? Something like what's used in Trapster.. there's a semi-transparent cone attached to the tracking dot which turns to indicate the direction of movement.
    Very nice! What about getting rid of the circular buttons and using just the icons (in black)? Perhaps moving a few more of the settings just to the menu.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    This app continues to impress me. It also makes me equally disappointed in Palm/Google for not enabling these kinds of things out of the box. Quite frankly it's just plain ghastly given that the API and webOS clearly supports it.
    My thoughts exactly, except I put all the blame on Google, not Palm.

This app has improved my webOS experience by 100%. I use Google Maps for my daily commute to and from the office. I use it mainly to monitor traffic ahead to determine whether to stay on the highway or get off on side roads. I mount my Pre on the center console of my car, right below the GPS screen.

By the way, I hit the donate button and sent Tim $5 (even though I'm currently broke!). I hope everyone who keeps this app on their device tosses him at least a buck, just to encourage more of the same! I noticed the download count in the beta feed is up to nearly 40,000. I think he deserves a good payday!
    Last edited by RJKinsman; 07/30/2010 at 01:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canderoc View Post
    I suppose you're referring to the use of a cache, like Goggle Earth, which stores map data so you can use the app offline. That's a really good question. That would certainly be useful in places with no signal.
    NO, I mean using OpenMap & OpenStreetView instead of an online source... This way the maps are locally stored on the phone and do not require an internet connection except for the other features like Latitude (which the app is currently lacking), Traffic, Buzz & Foursquare.

In the current build i have noticed that the app is quicker, but it is still missing Latitude.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    some of the code for latitude is in but their use of OAuth is being a pain but once I get it fully working I can add a lot of other cool google features beside latitude as well :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Got yer next toDo right here...;-)

Wow, that's what I'm talking about!!! BFGMaps is on the right track though
    Was in Chicago this past weekend and BFGMaps was great. In the past my wife and others would get frustrated with me because Google maps would take so long to load....and it's busy on the sidewalks downtown. If you stand still to long you quickly get in the way.

With BFGMaps that wasn't an issue. In 30 seconds you have the program open, GPS fix, map loaded and a search for the nearest Pub complete.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    love hearing about real-world use, I for one have the same issue with my wife getting antsy while I would wait for google maps to load. :-) things are better now, but my wife has a laundry list of features she wants added to bfgmaps, well back to work :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalNight View Post
    Very nice! What about getting rid of the circular buttons and using just the icons (in black)? Perhaps moving a few more of the settings just to the menu.
    Or at least some anti-aliasing on the buttons to clean up the edges better.
    Quote Originally Posted by kernelsandirs View Post
    The street view changes I added today removes the little man in the corner and gets the street view from the current map center, this means I can update the street view based on your location so as you walk/drive the images can auto update(as long as I can get the heading correct otherwise it may look like you are looking out the side window when driving west, or out the back when driving south), or you can drag the map and turn on the street view to see that location. I have to work out better controls for the street view for moving while in street view but I will release this version as is now as I think its a big improvement.
    Okay...I was gonna ask because people were talking about the "little yellow man" like the PC version of Google Maps, but I didn't see it. One thing I will say (and someone probably already mentioned it) is that you say it gets the street view from the current map center...any way of seeing what the "current map center" IS? It's not always easy to tell where the image is taken from on the map and where the "center" might be. Maybe a marker similar to GPS locator? Something that stays at the center of the image or will snap to the street view NEAREST the center of the map?

Also, when you click a location tag...say the nearest Starbucks...and the address/phone is more than three lines long...the phone number gets cut off and you cannot read it.

Again, sorry if these have already been mentioned.
    Kernelsandirs, I used this app to find a tire store yesterday with my GF. Worked great!
    Thanks man,
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Just getting around to trying your app. Great work so far!

Some functionality I might like to see eventually:
    When search is tapped, the text box needs to come up already active, not needing to be tapped again.
    When initiating a search for a business or address... how about having the nearest result pop up at the bottom with the address and directions to/from buttons, and the map shifts to display it at the closest zoom level that includes your current location and the proposed destination.
    Then, what if you could swipe the result pop up to see the next closest result, and have the map refocus on that?
    There would also need to be a results button somewhere.
    HP Touchpad: I just cant quit you, baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
    When search is tapped, the text box needs to come up already active, not needing to be tapped again.
    Actually, I'd like to see a search field automatically active upon opening...much like the native GM app has. That way you don't even have to hit a "search" button...just start typing.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Actually, I'd like to see a search field automatically active upon opening...much like the native GM app has. That way you don't even have to hit a "search" button...just start typing.
    Sounds good to me.

One thats even better would be to patch a BFGMaps search into universal search
    HP Touchpad: I just cant quit you, baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
    Sounds good to me.

One thats even better would be to patch a BFGMaps search into universal search
    +1

Great idea!!
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Actually, I'd like to see a search field automatically active upon opening
    I disagree. I like that we're not dedicating screen space to a search box all the time. How about this for a compromise: Leave the search button as is, but if the user starts typing, automatically pop-up the search box and fill it in. That way, if the user wants to, they can use the button to start a search, but if they happen to know that just typing will initiate a search, they an do that, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    I disagree. I like that we're not dedicating screen space to a search box all the time. How about this for a compromise: Leave the search button as is, but if the user starts typing, automatically pop-up the search box and fill it in. That way, if the user wants to, they can use the button to start a search, but if they happen to know that just typing will initiate a search, they an do that, too.
    i think they are saying auto focus when it opens, but i agree i should add an option so if you start typing it will just open a search dialog.

lots of fixes and features coming, gonna give street view some attention soon :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by leipsic83 View Post
    +1

Great idea!!
    I posted a request to get it added in the USCL thread by dsevil.