Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kernelsandirs View Post
    Is GPS working at all for you in BFGmaps? The prompt does not happen each time you open BFGmaps or any other app that prompts for GPS it says for the session, however I don't know what the timeout is on that.
    When I have a data connection and GPS on BFGMaps works as it should. Correct, the prompt does not happen when GPS is off when I open BFGMaps.
    I still don't get the GPS prompt when GPS is off in v1.0.20
    for some reason when I get directions,it shows me the directions but it won't showme the map from start to finish like the regular app does. What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    I still don't get the GPS prompt when GPS is off in v1.0.20
    try updating to 1.0.21 might be fixed now
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    for some reason when I get directions,it shows me the directions but it won't showme the map from start to finish like the regular app does. What am I doing wrong?
    hey zmann, currently it does not draw the path on the map, there is a bug with the api so I am working on a workaround to display the route lines
    I added traffic alerts today and a settings button(currently only one setting option and I see it is not really working properly now :-( ) traffic alerts were something I wanted for a while so it's in now. :-)
    any chance of getting an estimated travel time to destination? for the directions like the native google maps app?
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    so the traffic alerts are turned on by default? I would assume no way to test unless you are driving correct?
    Is this app going to use online maps forever? It makes the app slower then Google maps. I would use this app all the time if it had local maps as it would be quicker to load.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    love this app it is coming along fantastically!! One thing though is I wish it would save settings. I like having it on hybrid view and with traffic on.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Streetview seems to be graduallly getting more stable. I've been crashing a lot with it.
    Just now (with 1.0.21) I got farther than ever before using the on-screen navigation. Normally what happens is I try clicking forward, it gets confused or hung up, I scroll a bit, and blammo, Luna restart.

Now I'm finding that the radius required for forward navigation is very focused and specific. I can travel forwards if I hit the screen dead center horizontally, and about one fingerprint below the centerline. Anything outside of this tiny circle registers no action. I would advocate enlarging the circle of acceptable forward movement to be about a thiird of the screen.

I could totally do without the floating white and yellow arrows. As well as the + and - buttons. Why is that not just a pinch-to-zoom function?

Finally, if the keys could be defined as single clicks, or user-defined, instead of Orange/A, that's kind of a keyboard killing motion.

Otherwise, it's coming along very nicely, thank you so much for finally releasing a streetview app!
    Quote Originally Posted by kernelsandirs View Post
    try updating to 1.0.21 might be fixed now
    I'm sorry but the prompt still does not come up. When I turn on gps while the app is open, the map goes glitchy like I explained earlier.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Hi Goyena here.
    BFGMaps: 1.0.20 (preware says it's updated to 1.0.21, but I get sent to Palm's site where it's still in 1.0.20)
    Palm Pre Plus (SFR France): WebOS 1.4.5
    Primary location viewed: Lyon, France
    Patches installed: Auto Enable and Disable GPS for Maps (1.4.5-8), GPS Icon On Top Bar (1.4.5-1), Device Menu Megamix (1.4.5-1)

Keyboard shortcuts: I don't think Tim programmed those directly (correct me if I'm wrong), although the keystrokes are being sent over to Google's servers. On an AZERTY Pre, though, I can only do option + Y, L, M and P. Tip: if they are hard to remember, try looking at the punction they correspond to. I believe that zoom is "+" and "-". (Punctuation on my keyboard is completely different!)

GPS handling: On 1.0.21, I still get no prompt. Was the auto-enable patch edited for BFGMaps handling, because that doesn't work either. In all cases, I have to enter my device menu (thanks to Jason's Device Menu Megamix) and turn it on manually.

Views: works peachy.

Layers: US bias - Buzz and Foursquare seem to wor. Traffic and bike lines don't. However, I'm not sure that bike lanes are defined for my city (Lyon, France). I know that traffic is though - I get it through the stock Maps app. However through BFGMaps, I can see traffic in US cities, but not in Europe. Any quick fixes? Traffic is one of my primary uses and I hate waiting for the stock app to open. (not like I do this in my car or anything while driving.)

Directions: Is this implemented yet? I get the description, but nothing appears on the maps itself. Sokay, I have Navit!

Address search: Suggestion: a history would be cool.

Streetview: The kicker of your app. Awesome. The arrows and navigation is a bit wonky, but I think you know this. I just wanted to add that if you hit streetview on a place where none is available, BFGMaps cheerily shows the last streetview viewed. I was a bit asleep when poking around Germany, and was surprised to see how similar they were with French ones before I woke up. Perhaps it's better to show nothing at all, or a message like "streetview not available for this area"?

Thanks a million for this. I saw your download count. I gave $10. If everybody gave a buck, boy would your wife be happy!
    Last edited by Goyena; 04/06/2012 at 02:41 AM.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Since everyone else posts their personal desires, what I really miss from the last phone I had, in all the gps apps (it was a treo pro) is the speed, direction and altitude as part of the map display. All the pre apps either show you the speed, etc, data or a map, but none show both at the same time.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    UPDATE to above post: got 1.0.21
    Stil no prompt for me either. No changes to other comments. I did explore the app further though:

App menu: There are empty checkmark boxes next to "GPS On" and Toggle Layers> Traffic, etc. Tapping on "GPS On" doesn't do anything noticeable, and tapping on the layers toggles the layers, but the checkboxes remain blank, even though the boxes in the menu opened by the "Layers" button shows if the layer is on or not.

Zooming in map view: double-tapping, and pinch both work. Personally, I LIKE the zoom buttons too.

Zooming in streetview: double-tapping works, but the image gets a bit crazy, sometimes pointing up at the sky for a split-second before displaying the zoomed image. The zoom buttons have the same behavior.

Landscape mode: Nice implementation: fullscreen in landscape and normal (title bar/rounded corners) in portrait. I like this. I have a patch installed to make the stock Google Maps display go fullscreen in portrait with a long touch, same for normal view, but this tends to work when I don't want it to.
    Last edited by Goyena; 07/27/2010 at 06:03 AM.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    so the traffic alerts are turned on by default? I would assume no way to test unless you are driving correct?
    I believe that the alerts are the little yellow triangle icons (with exclamation points) on the map that, when clicked, give you a description of the nature of the alert. Check out NY at any given time for an example. ;-)
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Keyboard controls: These work in the Map View as well. The zoom especially, "+" and "-" on my dang AZERTY Pre, are hella faster and smoother than a pinch or the virtual buttons.

three other suggestions to add to the long list ;-)))
    1. be able to configure keyboard controls (good for non-qwerty keyboards; also the standard values apparently don't encompass all the possible controls, e.g. no pan right)
    2. just-start-typing to search. (perhaps back gesture to close the search box, if return key not pressed)
    3. forward gesture: an underused gesture in most webOS apps. Perhaps you can set it to toggle to StreetView, or even make it user-configurable: to cycle through views, traffic layer on/off toggle, etc.

Hope we're not burying you with requests!
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    Is this app going to use online maps forever? It makes the app slower then Google maps. I would use this app all the time if it had local maps as it would be quicker to load.
    I suppose you're referring to the use of a cache, like Goggle Earth, which stores map data so you can use the app offline. That's a really good question. That would certainly be useful in places with no signal.
    I can't get a gps lock since updating to 1.0.21. All my other gps apps work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    it is on by default, there is a setting to turn it off, but it has a bug right now, and you can see traffic alerts without driving just zoom way out and turn on traffic layer.(with traffic alerts on)