View Poll Results: Which Icon Set Do You Prefer?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer option #1 - Aces Icon Set

1 6.67%
  • I prefer option #2 - Deal Preview Set

8 53.33%
  • I prefer the existing icons - Mini ScreenShot Set

6 40.00%
  • Option 4 - New Tilted Screenshot Set

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Here's a screen shot of the icons in the current launch screen... I think they'll look good with the changes minego mentioned...

Follow me on teh Twitterz
    What if you filled in the text? May be easier on the eyes.
  3.    #43  
    I tried the text as solid black originally and it did not "pop" at all. I also tried with solid red text and red text with a stroke like the current. It seemed that the darker the color the more the letters sort of blurred together.

Keep in mind that the resolution on the actual Pre is a bit better than it appears on the screen shot. I don't think it is hard to read at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    Keep in mind that the resolution on the actual Pre is a bit better than it appears on the screen shot. I don't think it is hard to read at all.
    And, because the card layouts are pretty distinctive, it won't take long for folks to distinguish based on image recognition, rather than reading the names. For that reason, you might be able to get away with a more "artsy" look to the font -- maybe even an embossed* font.

Regards,
    Tom
    *I'm no font expert, but I'm great at throwing around terms I don't know. Is "embossed" the one where it looks like the font is not printed, but rather raised, or impressed, like an official seal?
  5.    #45  
    I tried a few different layer styles on the text before settling on the drop shadow. One of the things I tried was the "Bevel and Emboss" with various settings...

That kind of thing can be great when dealing with more pixels, but with just 90x110 to work with, it all kind of mushes together. It wasn't a good look. :\
    It's a bit bland looking... what about putting thin red (or blue, or even different colors) border around each "card"?
  7.    #47  
    Right now there is a 1px black stroke to outline each "card". That can easily be changed to a different color - or different colors for each one, however I don't think that would fit with what minego has planned next.

If they were staying in the grid shape as is, I could see doing that.
    Yeah I think as they are now is about perfect.

I'm planning a launch screen, with a green felt background. When the game starts it will be blank, and then each "card" will be "tossed" onto the screen and land in a haphazard way. Some of the cards will overlap a bit, but all of them will be clearly visible.

I haven't actually started writing the code yet. When I do I'll play around with the layout a lot. I think I'll be able to come up with something very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    each "card" will be "tossed" onto the screen and land in a haphazard way....
    Oh, that sounds cool -- really looking forward to seeing that!

Regards,
    Tom
  10.    #50  

I'm planning a launch screen, with a green felt background. When the game starts it will be blank, and then each "card" will be "tossed" onto the screen and land in a haphazard way. Some of the cards will overlap a bit, but all of them will be clearly visible.

I haven't actually started writing the code yet. When I do I'll play around with the layout a lot. I think I'll be able to come up with something very cool.
    Wow... I didn't even think about it being animated. That's going to be awesome.

EDIT: Also, let me know if you need me to tweak anything or if you'd like the .psd files.

Hmm. Interesting idea. I'd recommend looking into CSS transforms and CSS transitions. I've been experimenting with them and they are pretty easy to use and can achieve some pretty cool effects when you combine them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Hmm. Interesting idea. I'd recommend looking into CSS transforms and CSS transitions. I've been experimenting with them and they are pretty easy to use and can achieve some pretty cool effects when you combine them.
    I've played with them some, and they are really cool. Some of them aren't supported in current versions of Web OS though. For most of my animations I've used the Mojo.Animation stuff, and just set the style in the animation callback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    Wow... I didn't even think about it being animated. That's going to be awesome.

EDIT: Also, let me know if you need me to tweak anything or if you'd like the .psd files.
    I don't think I need any tweaks right now, but I'd love to get a copy of the psd files. I may need to make a number of small tweaks while I'm doing the animation.
  14.    #54  
    Sure thing... I'll send you a PM.

That'd be really cool the first couple of times, be when you just want to start a quick game of X it could get annoying. Just something to think about.

What about making the inside of each game name a different color? I like having the icons visually distinctive in a couple of ways to make it as easy as possible to recognize the one you want to click.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    That'd be really cool the first couple of times, be when you just want to start a quick game of X it could get annoying. Just something to think about.

What about making the inside of each game name a different color? I like having the icons visually distinctive in a couple of ways to make it as easy as possible to recognize the one you want to click.
    If I get that working I'll allow you to turn it off. I'll probably just give you 3 view options, and it will launch with whatever your last selection was.
    I need to add a notation to my vote. I think option two would look better with option one's font choice. The font in the image for option two looks like something out of a movie poster for B movies. The font in option one is more stylistic and seems to fit for card games better.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123