1.    #1  
    Did I miss something when signing up for Amazon MP3 through my Pre? Did anyone else notice that part of their terms of service is that music you buy is only available for download for a short time?

I missed that small print, and so when my Pre fried a few weeks ago, I, having thought Amazon MP3 would give me access to whatever I bought previously (like iTunes and every other major music service) had never downloaded things from my Pre to my computer.

So now, it's gone.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/05/2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: trolling comment deleted
    How do you back up music from Amazon? Where is it stored? I'm sure its copy-protected.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeydcomment View Post
    Did I miss something when signing up for Amazon MP3 through my Pre? Did anyone else notice that part of their terms of service is that music you buy is only available for download for a short time?

I missed that small print, and so when my Pre fried a few weeks ago, I, having thought Amazon MP3 would give me access to whatever I bought previously (like iTunes and every other major music service) had never downloaded things from my Pre to my computer.

So now, it's gone.

Word to the wise. Maybe it's time to go buy an Evo.
    this would be a problem on the Evo as well as this is an issue with Amazon MP3 (i never use the service, but if thats how it works than GUESS WHAT ... thats how it works on an Evo as Well) Good Day
    well then just download it again from a torrent site.. It's not stealing if you already paid for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    this would be a problem on the Evo as well as this is an issue with Amazon MP3 (i never use the service, but if thats how it works than GUESS WHAT ... thats how it works on an Evo as Well) Good Day
    Its only a "problem" if you fail to keep an effective backup or sync with your device.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    itunes does it too...so does, i believe, the main amazon site...so does pretty much all other digital download sites/programs/apps...

That's like saying "I bought this CD at Walmart but my car was and now I don't have my CD, Walmart should give me a new one since I already paid for it."

It sucks, but I had the same thing happen to me when my comp crashed -it's the hard way we learn to back. REDUNCANCY REDUNCANCY REDUNDANCY....
    Sorry you lost your music, but I don't think it's a Pre/Palm issue ... that's just the way it is in the brave new world of digital downloads. All of my digital downloads are stored on my main computer disk, an external USB drive, and on my Pre.
  8. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts

So now, it's gone.

Word to the wise. Maybe it's time to go buy an Evo.
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    How do you back up music from Amazon? Where is it stored? I'm sure its copy-protected.
    You can back-up any music you downloaded from Amazon to your phone by putting the phone in USB mode, and copying it from the AmazonMP3 folder. You can also use the software Palm provides for free (Palm Support : Palm Music Assistant (Windows installer)) if you're not comfortable with putting your phone in USB mode. Also, the music downloaded from Amazon is NOT copy-protected.
    This is not a Palm problem it is just Amazon policy.. Oh and Apple Itunes also!

Products may only be downloaded once; after being downloaded, they cannot be replaced if lost for any reason. Once a Product is purchased or rented (as applicable) and you receive the Product, it is your responsibility not to lose, destroy, or damage.
    This is not in any way a Pre or Palm problem, and switching to an EVO will not change anything.

as AY said, the amazon service, unlike itunes, is now and always has been DRM free.

to take the music off your pre you can go the easy and straight forward USB route, and you can actually just copy the music, leaving the original on the pre and new files on your PC.

this here article is a bit old, but still relevent, and offers some great examples of sync solutions that are no more complicated than using an Ipod.

http://www.precentral.net/how-to-sync-music-palm-pre

I would also add that using groove shark, which is available both on the desktop, and on your Pre as an app, would probably help in this situation, as you can then stream your music library from the web, even if you lost your pre and computer in some catastrophe.

Grooveshark - Listen to Free Music Online - Internet Radio - Free MP3 Streaming

http://www.precentral.net/grooveshark-comes-to-webos

In fact if you wanted to re-claim all the songs you had on your pre (not download again, but listen to anytime you are connected) you could use grooveshark, and at least have access to the content again without fees or torrents.

good luck.
    I have been able to get things off that I've purchased directly from Amazon's site. If you buy in app, just go to the Amazon site and go to "Your Digital Orders" and click on one of them. Then click on "View your media library." It will take you to "Your Media Library" where you just need to hit the "Download" tab at the top.

Then you can download ALL of the digital purchases again (all songs, videos, etc.), though videos are copy-protected.

This worked for me some time back anyhow.
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 07/09/2010 at 02:17 PM.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    The Amazon MP3 App on the Pre creates a directory named "AmazonMP3" in the root of the media partition. Then a folder inside it for the artist, then one for the album. Each file is stored as an MP3 in those folders. Simply backup the entire "AmazonMP3" folder after each purchase and you are good to go. Knowing the structure helps.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook