• Paid with no ads

15 62.50%
  • Free with ads

6 25.00%
  • I don't really care

3 12.50%
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Just curious what the general feeling is regarding paid apps with no ads vs. free apps that include ads.

I personally prefer a paid (less than $5) app with NO ads. Ads annoy me to no end. Pixels on a small screen are a precious commodity, and I don't want them wasted on trying to sell me something.

My app (Galactic Beacon: Volume 1) is in the Book section and costs $3, but has no ads. Several of the other books are free, but include ads. Many of them are cut and pastes from Wikipedia, but that is another issue... I've been looking at the numbers of downloads and naturally the freebies get far more downloads. I often download free apps with the full knowlege that they are probably lame, but they are easy to un-install, so I give it a shot.

Any way, what do YOU like? Free-but-with-ads or paid-but-no-ads?
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    After spending hundreds of dollars on PalmOS apps, I don't mind spending a few dollars to get an ad-free app.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
    Definitely 'Paid with no ads'.
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    After spending hundreds of dollars on PalmOS apps, I don't mind spending a few dollars to get an ad-free app.
    same here.
    I prefer apps with no ads. So if the app is good, I'm willing to pay for it.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I wouldn't mind if the ad is unobtrusive, like it is small and only on an ancillary scene. But if the ad is distracting while using the app then I'd stop using the app.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PRedwood View Post
    I wouldn't mind if the ad is unobtrusive, like it is small and only on an ancillary scene. But if the ad is distracting while using the app then I'd stop using the app.
    What bothers me most is that with some of them (especially games) I sometimes accidently click the ad while trying to play the game. THAT really annoys me.
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    I would like a choice, some apps that i probably wouldnt pay for, i guess i wont mind the apps so much, but for the ones that are really good that i would pay for, give me the option to pay for it with no ads.

and think having it both ways is best for developers. choice choice choice
    No ads! I don't mind paying for apps that I love.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Depends -

App I use all the time: paid, no ads
    App I use rarely, once every couple of weeks or less: free with ads OK then
    As I'm not able to buy webos software, I wouldn't mind ads. But when I'll be able to buy apps... I guess I'd rather be without the ads...
    WebOS still makes sense.