Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    bring it back even if it cost us money now

[MODERATOR EDIT] Per the developer:
    Dear users,

I have made the hard choice to pull Free Music Ringtones from the Palm webOS App Catalog. This may sadden you, it may anger you. But my decision is final.

Why make such a decision? Support. It is a personal belief of mine, that any app developed by me should be 100% supported, even if that app is free. The past 5 weeks have been a roller coaster ride. Literally 10's of thousands of my 300,000+ userbase (and still growing) have emailed me.

From questions about if it really was free, probems playing audio, and people who simply refuse to read the very verbose Help available, it has come my way. I have personally answered every single email that has been sent to me.

Therein lies the problem. I am exhausted. I was drinking up to 4 cups of coffee a day. I did not sleep. I literally was consummed by the meteoric rise of this app. It shattered all beliefs and ambitions I ever had envisioned for it. Typically, every FlashCards user gets a personal thank you email from me when they register for an Online Tools account. Since May 24th, I have not sent a single one. This is not acceptable. They are paying for an app and being neglected to the standards I hold for myself.

Effective immediately, I have asked Palm to remove the app. You can still use the app on your phone, but I will not take support emails any longer. Please read the help, everything is covered there. Next, I plan to take a vacation with my wife and kids whom I have neglected. I shall return with a fresh perspective and get to work on my #1 app FlashCards. v3.0 has been halted since the launch of FMR, and I look forward to getting this back on track for the Fall release.

Maybe I can bring the app back to life, but some serious things will need to change. I appreciate your understanding of the situation and wish you all the best.

- James Harris
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 07/08/2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Title was wrong. Posted correct information.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garciaop View Post
    that dev was only after the money cause right after the hot apps contest was finnished the freerintones app dissapeared
    I think it was removed, not sure about that though. If you look at the hot apps leader board it's no longer ranked.
    OP is wrong. The dev specifically pulled it before the end so he wouldn't get money for an app he couldn't continue to support.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Here's the post where the developer explains his reasons for pulling the app: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post2533438

And here's the post where he mentions his intention to make the app homebrew: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post2536916

James Harris deserves an apology for this thread.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
    Thank you all for correcting the OP. James pulled the app from distribution prior to the end of the contest and received no money/winnings for it. Please research before posting opinion as fact.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    that dev was only after the money cause right after the hot apps contest was finnished the freerintones app dissapeared
    Are you a closet iPhone user and intentionally running off our noble developers. It's a rhetorical question you don't need to answer & it's stated to demonstrate a point.

Anyway, the labeling of the thread is uncalled for and unfair to the developer. Please remember forum etiquette and the old adage, "Assume Positive Intent." In other-words, don't automatically jump to a negative assumption about other people's motives.
    not correct... Plus james won for his paid app anyways. Speaking w/ james first hand, he is a very nice and stand up guy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Thank you all for correcting the OP. James pulled the app from distribution prior to the end of the contest and received no money/winnings for it. Please research before posting opinion as fact.
    A change of thread title would be a good idea.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    How about just delete this whole thread? Stuff like this is why he pulled his app, very sad. Too many webOS users need to go buy evos, iphones or anything not webOS. It's these types of people that have been bogging webOS down from day one. They cry so hard they fail to see the light.

Oh well, you still did good spdsktr and you deserve something for your efforts....AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR THE AWESOME FREE APP.
    Last edited by bdog421; 07/08/2010 at 12:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    bring it back even if it cost us money now
    That's a post edit, not an apology. As I mentioned above, he is looking at bringing the app back as homebrew. He asks for patience. Try extending him some.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
    it's only his third post...
    Too many people have *expectations* the developers around here dont work for palm, or any of the carriers. (Well some of them do, but they arent here in that capacity.) They develop for the os because they love it and want to make it better.

It was a free app, patches are free... stop EXPECTING if you dont contribute... no one is entitled to anything here. All these things many people take for granted such as the strength of our little community and the dedication of its developers, the openness of the platform should be so much more appreciated. Try feeling the same sense of community and freedom with an iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    [MODERATOR NOTE] The title is corrected and the developer's statement is added to the opening post.
    Damn, i was gonna switch my phone cause im having issues but now i might keep it just for this app.
    Darnnit, I missed all this flubbub. What was the original title, out of curiosity?

Not much I can add to this, only that this is why I pulled it before the end of the contest. Integrity intact.

The IPK is now available for direct download. All homebrewers can continue on their merry way, even you garciaop

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...al-thread.html
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Free Music Ringtones is supported by Save/Restore. Would this app be restored still even if it is not in the app catalog?

I think we should all pitch in and ask the developer to bring the app back, and that any issues will be advised by the Precentral community. I am starting a new thread now.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Free Music Ringtones is supported by Save/Restore. Would this app be restored still even if it is not in the app catalog?

I think we should all pitch in and ask the developer to bring the app back, and that any issues will be advised by the Precentral community. I am starting a new thread now.
    Save/Restore works for app data, not the app itself. Things such as cookies, database data, etc are backed up. The restore simply puts the data back in place. The app catalog is what replaces the apps themselves from your Palm Profile. FMR will not be downloaded by default anymore, so a doctor/new device will have to have the IPK directly installed. Then the Save/Restore app would put the data back for it to use.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Dear James Harris,
    I do not use either of your apps but appreciate the service you and the other developers provide. Thank you for helping many of us enjoy our devices that much more.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I respect you, James Harris. Integrity is being lost daily in this world, way to go! And thank you so much for your awesome apps!
    Last edited by crazijake; 08/01/2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast