Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I hate when the App Catalog says there are updates and then you click to update the app's and there are none to update.

This script will remove the file necessary to clear this error and will then reboot your phone.

download:
    AppCatalog_StuckOrInvalidUpdate.sh UPDATED 07/12/2010
    Place it in /var/home/root (put it in /media/internal/Scripts via USB and then from Terminus run: ln -s /media/internal/Scripts/AppCatalog_StuckOrInvalidUpdate.sh)
    run the script: sh AppCatalog_InvalidUpdate.sh
    wait for your phone to reboot. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Check for App Updates.
    Last edited by demetry14; 07/12/2010 at 05:22 PM.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    what update-message does this clean? does it clean the message in the update-app, where it says that there are updates?
    or does it clean some other error within the appcatalog-app?
    I can't get this script to run I get a can't open error, I have checked that I have spelled it correctly.
    I know this script does it the same way, but for those that don't really know what they're doing, it's probably much easier to just copy and paste the single command you need to run into webOS Quick Install's option to send a command to the device, and do it that way.

rm -f /var/palm/data/com.palm.appInstallService/installHistory.db
  5. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I know this script does it the same way, but for those that don't really know what they're doing, it's probably much easier to just copy and paste the single command you need to run into webOS Quick Install's option to send a command to the device, and do it that way.

Can this command simply be run within the Terminal App? Can you provide a brief explanation of what it is that is done when the command is run? (Does it simply reset your App Catalog Install History log to indicate nothing was ever installed? Any possible negative effects to running the command?) Thanks!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    This doesn't resolve the issue for me. I removed the installHistory.db file and rebooted my Pre. When I go back to the updates app, I still see phantom app updates when no exist. Obviously the file gets recreated after removing it.

I wonder what app is causing this? Can we edit this file?
    There's two different issues causing this.

One is a phantom app that the Pre itself thinks you have. That is fixed by the command that removes the recent install history. Yes it can be input via any method you choose. Since the actual app purchases and downloads are stored on your Palm profile, no negative effects that I know of. You might want to also reboot (or at least restart Luna) just in case too.

The second is when your Palm profile thinks that you have an app installed which you don't. I was personally able to fix this on my own device after a webOS Doctor. Since my Palm Profile thought I had it installed, it installed automatically and then I was able to delete it. The other option is if you contact Palm support, I believe they should be able to modify your profile to remove the app your profile thinks you have installed.
  8. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    I hate when the App Catalog says there are updates and then you click to update the app's and there are none to update.

This script will remove the file necessary to clear this error and will then reboot your phone.

download:
    AppCatalog_StuckOrInvalidUpdate.sh
    Place it in /var/home/root (put it in /media/internal/Scripts via USB and then from Terminus run: ln -s /media/internal/Scripts/AppCatalog_StuckOrInvalidUpdate.sh)
    Check for App Updates.

There's two different issues causing this.

One is a phantom app that the Pre itself thinks you have. That is fixed by the command that removes the recent install history. Yes it can be input via any method you choose. Since the actual app purchases and downloads are stored on your Palm profile, no negative effects that I know of. You might want to also reboot (or at least restart Luna) just in case too.

The second is when your Palm profile thinks that you have an app installed which you don't. I was personally able to fix this on my own device after a webOS Doctor. Since my Palm Profile thought I had it installed, it installed automatically and then I was able to delete it. The other option is if you contact Palm support, I believe they should be able to modify your profile to remove the app your profile thinks you have installed.
    This doesn't seem to work and/or I'm doing something wrong. I've tried inputting both rm -Rf /var/palm/data/com.palm.appInstallService/installHistory.db (the command in the original post) and rm -f /var/palm/data/com.palm.appInstallService/installHistory.db (the command in jhoff80's post), and neither seems to work in Terminal (I get a return message that the proper options aren't selected...). I did create a Scripts folder under media/internal (none existed), and placed the downloaded file from MediaFly in there. I also tried via WebOS QuickInstall by copying and pasting both versions into the Linux Command Line, hitting enter, and then closing, but nothing seems to happen. Each time I run the Update App, I'm still getting a message that application updates are available when no such updates are available for my apps. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong? I'm comfortable using Terminal (when told what to do), using WebOS QuickInstall, have no problem entering Dev Mode, I have Internalz, have FTP access via FileZilla, etc., but I'm not a linux person, so I don't understand the commands - just know how to enter them If there's anything obvious I've missed, please let me know? Or perhaps I'm having this issue for a different reason? I don't have any phantom apps that the app catalog is trying to install (I'm familiar with that problem), so that isn't my problem.... Thanks for any help you can offer!
    The only difference between rm -rf and rm -f is that rm -rf will do so recursively (aka remove any folders and their contents as well). However, since we're just deleting one file, the two commands are the exact same thing.

As for your issue, the command will be case-sensitive, so are you definitely capitalizing the directory names like it is in the post?
  10. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    The only difference between rm -rf and rm -f is that rm -rf will do so recursively (aka remove any folders and their contents as well). However, since we're just deleting one file, the two commands are the exact same thing.

As for your issue, the command will be case-sensitive, so are you definitely capitalizing the directory names like it is in the post?
    Thanks for the continued assistance. It's greatly appreciate. I'm definitely using the same capitalization. Here's a screenshot of an attempt via Terminal which shows the Option issue I referred to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Or just send me a private message with your palm profile email address and I can tell you which app it is that you need to reinstall so that it's on the latest version and then you can delete the app again (until a fix is put in place).
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    Thanks for the continued assistance. It's greatly appreciate. I'm definitely using the same capitalization. Here's a screenshot of an attempt via Terminal which shows the Option issue I referred to.
    You need a space after the -f ... Should be rm -f path_to_file_name. You have rm -fpath_to_file_name.
  13. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    You need a space after the -f ... Should be rm -f path_to_file_name. You have rm -fpath_to_file_name.
    Thanks. I should have indicated that I had tried that too, but got no "feedback" in Terminal after doing so, and that didn't work either (see attached screenshots), so I assumed I must have been entering it wrong, and tried with the space missing as you noted. Any other thoughts? Thanks again for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    Thanks. I should have indicated that I had tried that too, but got no "feedback" in Terminal after doing so, and that didn't work either (see attached screenshots), so I assumed I must have been entering it wrong, and tried with the space missing as you noted. Any other thoughts? Thanks again for your help.
    That means the command worked successfully. If you did an ls -al on that same path, I bet nothing is found. The ls command is like dir on a Windows command prompt.

Sounds like you have the same issue as me. PM HardBeatz per his message above.
  15. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    That means the command worked successfully. If you did an ls -al on that same path, I bet nothing is found. The ls command is like dir on a Windows command prompt.

Sounds like you have the same issue as me. PM HardBeatz per his message above.
    Thanks. I did PM HardBeatz, and look forward to any insight he might have. Thanks again for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post

download:
    AppCatalog_StuckOrInvalidUpdate.sh
    Check for App Updates.
    thats not the app catalog that is stuck isnt it the update app thats saying that you need to update ? so that would be an update app problem ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    thats not the app catalog that is stuck isnt it the update app thats saying that you need to update ? so that would be an update app problem ?
    Yeah. I don't think this is really a fix to the phantom app update issue many of us are experiencing.
  18.    #18  
    1. The App Catalog and the Update App are both part of the App Catalog as you can access the Updates section of the App Catalog by selecting the basket.

2. The file deleted has been tested in the past to fix the update issue when no update is actually available, so people that say it is not working should see if there issue is the issue at hand. All I have done is packaged it into a script.

3. I made the script because I almost never plug my phone into my computer anymore, it is not necessary for me to do this and I use Terminus for all of my scripts that I do not currently have in crontab.

4. Once you have the script on your Phone you can name it whatever you want. This way there is no issue with people misspelling the name of the script. I just made it AppCatalog_StuckOrInvalidUpdate.sh so people know what they have downloaded.

5a. If this does not fix the phantom app issue that is because there is a partially downloaded file on your phone "I believe". I don't have an phantom app's on my phone to look for and/or remove for testing.

5b. I would recommend removing the app that is partially downloaded and then running this script to resolve your issue completely.

6. Sorry I took so long to respond. But I am glad to see others are willing to help.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    thanx 4 the link but it tried 2 give me a tracker virus......***..... thank u AVG instead
    imma try this
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast