Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    That helps a lot, thank you.

That tells me that it did allow you to remove all 3 cards, since they showed up when you drug off to the right. So it is calculating the number of legal moves incorrectly.

I'll dig into it.
    Two problems:
    First, when I try to save a game (Easy Spiderette) to the Launcher, the message says Success, and an icon is created, but when I launch it I only get a grey screen.

Second, when playing Easy Spiderette, I've found that very often the stack of cards is very long, and the topmost cards are not visible. However, in this game, it's critical to see the topmost cards, because often you need to move the entire stack onto another tableau. This makes gameplay frustrating. I think a way to zoom out is necessary (maybe something like the calendar app, which accordions empty time intervals but allows you to zoom out to enter a new appointment).

Edit:
    Alternatively, you could show the entire tableau (don't hide the topmost cards) but provide a way to scroll up and down by dragging the playing field.
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    That helps a lot, thank you.

That tells me that it did allow you to remove all 3 cards, since they showed up when you drug off to the right. So it is calculating the number of legal moves incorrectly.

I'll dig into it.
    Got another example.

free cells contained:
    7c, open, 10d, open
    tableau full of stuff,
    long stack
    5c
    long stack
    10s, Kh
    long ordered stack (Kc through 2d)
    ** 6c, 5h, 4c
    long stack ending in ordered from Kd-7h
    Ks,Qd

I tried to move the starred stack to the stack immediately to its right (ending with 7h) and it wouldn't move. Then I dragged the 10d from one free cell to the one to its right, and tried again, and it worked!
    Hmmm, it's still confused. A few moves later and I have one free cell and want to move the 9h, 8s to a stack ending with the 10c. no go. moving one of the 3 cards in the "free cells" did the trick again.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Hmmm, it's still confused. A few moves later and I have one free cell and want to move the 9h, 8s to a stack ending with the 10c. no go. moving one of the 3 cards in the "free cells" did the trick again.
    I'm having no luck trying to reproduce this. It is a bit frustrating.

Whenever you change anything the game calculates the number of empty free cells and empty tableaux. It then uses that to calculate how many cards you can drag. It sounds to me as if the game is some how not noticing that the cards changed, so it is calculating the number of free moves with old data.

I just don't see how it could be happening. Clearly it is, but I don't see the code path that is causing it.
    I've got a new bug for you. I was playing 2-suited spider today, and I tried to 'undo' back to the start. (i hadn't gotten very far.) it undid all but the first move. So I tried 'restart game' and it gave me the 'do you want to do this' dialog, but then nothing happened. So I played frm there, got to the last deal, got stuck, and tried to restart. No luck. Same response, dialog but no reset. I ended up quitting the game, ruining my perfect streak. Grrrrrr.

I can look up the game number if you think that might matter.
    In 1.2.4, I can't get Thoughtful Klondike to launch. When I chose it, it just refreshes the game grid screen.

Any one else have this, or is it just me. Haha

Edit: Just checked in 1.2.0 (App Cat version), same thing.
    I can't get 1.2.4 to load. It gets stuck on "installing". Any ideas how I can fix that?
  9.    #49  
    Looks like I've got a handful of new bugs to look at. I'll take a look at these as soon as I can. Probably tonight. I promise I'm not ignoring you guys.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    In 1.2.4, I can't get Thoughtful Klondike to launch. When I chose it, it just refreshes the game grid screen.

Any one else have this, or is it just me. Haha

Edit: Just checked in 1.2.0 (App Cat version), same thing.
    I don't know when this bug got introduced, but I just fixed it. The next update will have the fix.
  11.    #51  
    I can't get 1.2.4 to load. It gets stuck on "installing". Any ideas how I can fix that?
    Is this still happening? If it is an issue with the app catalog then I don't know what to suggest. Perhaps uninstall it and try installing again?
  12.    #52  
    I'm having no luck trying to reproduce this. It is a bit frustrating.

Whenever you change anything the game calculates the number of empty free cells and empty tableaux. It then uses that to calculate how many cards you can drag. It sounds to me as if the game is some how not noticing that the cards changed, so it is calculating the number of free moves with old data.

I just don't see how it could be happening. Clearly it is, but I don't see the code path that is causing it.
    A good friend of mine ran into this as well. He can't describe how to reproduce it, but says he thinks it might be related to undo...

Luckily he is a programmer as well, so I've given him access to the source and he is going to try to help with a fix. He may be working on the game more in the future as well.
  13.    #53  
    I've got a new bug for you. I was playing 2-suited spider today, and I tried to 'undo' back to the start. (i hadn't gotten very far.) it undid all but the first move. So I tried 'restart game' and it gave me the 'do you want to do this' dialog, but then nothing happened. So I played frm there, got to the last deal, got stuck, and tried to restart. No luck. Same response, dialog but no reset. I ended up quitting the game, ruining my perfect streak. Grrrrrr.

I'm trying to reproduce this now... I'll post more as I find it.
  14.    #54  

Can you find the game number for me? I've just tried a few deals and it seems to undo all the way to the start for me.
    Can you find the game number for me? I've just tried a few deals and it seems to undo all the way to the start for me.

I doubt it's something magic about the game number, but who knows.

Hey, I found a new bug today. I was playing Yukon, which is a new game to me. Sort of a neat game, actually. Anyhow, I moved a whole stack, and the next card didn't flip up. It must have been a 4, because as I was poking around a 3 wanted to rest on that (still upside-down) card. I was not able to clear a 5 to see if I could move that stack (including the upside-down 4.)
  16.    #56  
    Ok I've been getting really frustrated lately about trying to debug issues like this. You guys have been really great, and given me a lot of details, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

So, I have a plan! Tonight I'm going to start work on a game play log feature. When you start playing the game will keep track of all of your actions. It will keep a simple little log in memory. It'll look something like this:

Dealt game #12345
    Tapped stack3
    Drug 6 cards from stack2 to stack4
    undo
    undo
    tapped stack4

So whenever you run into a weird situation you can just hit a key (I'll probably just have this bound to a key, not exposed in a menu) and it will open a new email with the contents of the log. You can enter any additional details you'd like, and hit send.

In theory this will let me reproduce nearly any of the issues that I haven't been able to catch yet. What do you guys think?
    sounds good to me.
  18.    #58  
    New version of the beta is up that has the game play logs. While adding it I finally ran into the freecell bug! There was a case where resuming a game, or using undo would cause it to NOT calculate the number of empty tableaus and freecells to use for a move. This beta includes a fix for that as well.

That may have been responsible for a number of weird issues in freecell.

So now if you run into an issue with gameplay just hit 'm' and it will open an email with the gameplay log, and a dump of your preferences. You can then fill out a description of the problem and hit send. I'm very excited to have this.

One small thing to keep in mind is that the log is reset if you resume a game. This means that it will not contain all the information, so if you can reproduce a problem without resuming a game then it will be more useful.
    Weird shuffling glitch in spaces. I finished 3 of the suits, and have everything through the 9 in the 4th suit.
    2c-kc
    2h-9h
    2d-kd
    2s-ks

I have shuffled dozens of times (okay, I'm playing the "relaxed" version) and every single time it has put a card at the end of each row, leaving all 4 spaces clustered at the end of the second row. In fact, I seem to be in a loop of 3 options (reading the 4 cards down):

jqkt
    qkjt
    kjqt
    then repeat
    jqkt
    qkjt
    kjqt

some glitch in random number generation?
  20.    #60  
    Weird shuffling glitch in spaces. I finished 3 of the suits, and have everything through the 9 in the 4th suit.
    2c-kc
    2h-9h
    2d-kd
    2s-ks

I have shuffled dozens of times (okay, I'm playing the "relaxed" version) and every single time it has put a card at the end of each row, leaving all 4 spaces clustered at the end of the second row. In fact, I seem to be in a loop of 3 options (reading the 4 cards down):

jqkt
    qkjt
    kjqt
    then repeat
    jqkt
    qkjt
    kjqt

some glitch in random number generation?
    Yeah sounds like it isn't reseeding as it should. I'll take a look. Should probably be an easy fix.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast