Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Yeah it is very weird. I posted on the palm developer forums, maybe some one else has run into this.

Worst case I could remove "New Deal", "Restart Game" and "Undo Last Move" from the menu, since there are buttons for those. I'd rather not do that though.
    I agree taking options away isn't the best solution. Like I said it is a VERY small thing.

If this wasn't a Beta, I wouldn't have even given it a second thought probably. Haha
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    I agree taking options away isn't the best solution. Like I said it is a VERY small thing.

If this wasn't a Beta, I wouldn't have even given it a second thought probably. Haha
    So far no answers on the palm developer forums. I'll keep looking though.
    I really appreciate the amount of effort you're putting into this beta. I can't wait until it's an official release!
    Not sure whether to post bugs in the beta version here or there. I'll try here.

I'm 95% sure I found a small bug in Spider. I had a stack headed by the queen, and solid down to the 2. I added the ace, and the game cleared that stack. It looked like the top face-down card had been the king, and the game flipped and played that.

I say I'm only 95% certain because the game does hide some cards when the stack is too long, but I think Q-2 (or K-2) is short enough that they all show. And I also thought I'd been working on that stack and planning to move it to an open K as my next move before it got so long.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Not sure whether to post bugs in the beta version here or there. I'll try here.

I'm 95% sure I found a small bug in Spider. I had a stack headed by the queen, and solid down to the 2. I added the ace, and the game cleared that stack. It looked like the top face-down card had been the king, and the game flipped and played that.

I say I'm only 95% certain because the game does hide some cards when the stack is too long, but I think Q-2 (or K-2) is short enough that they all show. And I also thought I'd been working on that stack and planning to move it to an open K as my next move before it got so long.
    Looks like your right. That check is not checking for face down cards. It is an easy fix. I'll put it in right now.

Luckily it is going to be a pretty rare issue.
  7.    #27  
    I've just uploaded a new beta build. It fixes the "white screen" issue and the spider bug you just reported.

I'll probably submit this as a full update pretty quickly if it looks like the bug fixes worked.
    There are some weird issues in Freecell with when it will move a stack and when it won't. I havent tracked it down to be able to tell you the conditions under which I think it should let you move a stack but doesn't. If you are not aware of this issue, I can try to pay attention and figure it out.
  9.    #29  
    There are some weird issues in Freecell with when it will move a stack and when it won't. I havent tracked it down to be able to tell you the conditions under which I think it should let you move a stack but doesn't. If you are not aware of this issue, I can try to pay attention and figure it out.
    I'm not aware.... I haven't played a lot of freecell lately, but I haven't noticed anything weird. If there is a problem I'd definitely like to know more.
    After the first change to the dragging calculation, I was experiencing something similar; it seemed like the move was not being interpreted as legal. But, I realized what was happening is that my usual stack drag was now too sloppy with the new distance calculation. minego has since tweaked the calculation, but maybe this is still an issue.

Next time it happens, you could try dragging the stack all around the target area to see if you can get it to stick.

Was it a particularly long stack? I think that would exacerbate the issue.

minego, could this be a plausible explanation given the current drag algorithm?

Regards,
    Tom
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    After the first change to the dragging calculation, I was experiencing something similar; it seemed like the move was not being interpreted as legal. But, I realized what was happening is that my usual stack drag was now too sloppy with the new distance calculation. minego has since tweaked the calculation, but maybe this is still an issue.

Next time it happens, you could try dragging the stack all around the target area to see if you can get it to stick.

Was it a particularly long stack? I think that would exacerbate the issue.

minego, could this be a plausible explanation given the current drag algorithm?
    Yes, that is possible with the current algorithm.

I have a number of ideas (based mainly on comments from you two) to improve it. I hope to get the improved algorithm done very soon, and do a small update that includes it (and any other bug fixes).

If in doubt try to drag the stack to exactly the position it would be when the move is done... For example, if you are dragging a stack of 5-A onto a 6, drag the 5 so that it is just below the 6. That should be the closest possible spot with the current algorithm.
    I'm pretty certain it wasn't a dragging algorithm issue, but I will play around with it and see what I can figure out.
    In the latest Beta, the button for auto-play is blank (when enabled by setting the auto-play option to "off").
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    In the latest Beta, the button for auto-play is blank (when enabled by setting the auto-play option to "off").
    Oops. I did some cleanup and renamed some files, including some of the images. Turns out I forgot to change it in one spot. The button should still function the same, just with no picture.

I'll post an update to the beta soon with it fixed. Thanks!
    Yep, it works just fine, just no "play" icon on it.
    Okay, so here's an example of odd play in Freecell.

I have 3 free spots on the top, and a free column to the left. One of the other stacks is (top to bottom) 9C, 5D, 4H, 3S. I wanted to drag the 3&4 to the open colulmn. But when I tried, it only took the 3S. Of course, I can do this by hand by dragging the 3S to a free cell and then moving the 4H and then moving the 3S again, but that's a nuisance. (Especially as I can play the 3S on the foundation, so I can't just tap it without it going away, I have to drag it.) and I still have a 2H in play, so I don't want to lose my black 3s yet.

I have "smart autoplay" on for this game. Not sure what other options would matter. I'm playing the beta version (I think) which I downloaded earlier today.
  17.    #37  
    Okay, so here's an example of odd play in Freecell.

I have 3 free spots on the top, and a free column to the left. One of the other stacks is (top to bottom) 9C, 5D, 4H, 3S. I wanted to drag the 3&4 to the open colulmn. But when I tried, it only took the 3S. Of course, I can do this by hand by dragging the 3S to a free cell and then moving the 4H and then moving the 3S again, but that's a nuisance. (Especially as I can play the 3S on the foundation, so I can't just tap it without it going away, I have to drag it.) and I still have a 2H in play, so I don't want to lose my black 3s yet.

I have "smart autoplay" on for this game. Not sure what other options would matter. I'm playing the beta version (I think) which I downloaded earlier today.
    When you start dragging, before you get over an empty stack, it should show the whole legal stack but greyed out. Does that show just the 3, or the 3 and the 4?

If that is just the 3 then it is calculating the list of cards to take out of the stack incorrectly. If it is the 3&4 then it is detecting the count to be added wrong. (Different spots in code, so it will help to know this.)
    sorry, I completed that game and don't recall. I'll pay attention next time it happens. I've been seeing odd things a lot, so perhaps later tonight if I'm lucky.
  19.    #39  
    sorry, I completed that game and don't recall. I'll pay attention next time it happens. I've been seeing odd things a lot, so perhaps later tonight if I'm lucky.
    Ok, I'll try to reproduce it over the next few days as well.

I've just finished writing the new algorithm for detecting the distance while dragging. It seems to be working really nicely.

In games like spider you can just drag horizontally now. In freecell you can just drag horizontally for going between the tableaux but if you go up towards the freecells and the foundations then it will drag between them.

It also resolves the issue of a very large stack. Previously it was the distance of the closest corner, so a large stack could be far away in the middle. Now it is the closest point.

I'll post a new beta build either tonight or early tomorrow with this in it.
    okay, found another instance, I think.

I have one free cell, and one open column. One column has 9c,6s. Another has a bunch of stuff ending with 5h,4s,3h. I tried to drag the 5h onto the 6s but it wouldn't let me, only the bottom two ards lit up and it would only allow me to move the stack to the empty column, which is right next to the column with the 6. BUT, if I try to drag the cards in the other direction (right across the screen, where there are no legal moves, rather than left towards the two legal moves) it highlights all three. I have tried slowly dragging the stack of 4s,3h slowly up and down over the stack ending with a 6, so that the top card, the bottom coard, and the missing space where the 5 should be rest directly above the 6s to no avail. The empty column to the risght stays lit up, as do the two cards. Thei ant get the third to light up without moving well away from the area, to the right.

stacks are
    1: full
    2: 9,6
    3: open
    4: 9 cards, ends with 5,4,3
    5-8: random stuff.

hope this helps.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast