Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'd love a phone block app. What do I mean? An app that I can quickly switch on and off the called ID blocker.

I'm a doc, and I get texts in the middle of the night with phone number of patients to call back. for example

Ms. Smith, mother of Jonny, 4 month old with fever 248-555-5555.

I want to just be able to click on the number and call the patient back without having to insert the *67. By turning on the ON CALL switch on my phone, *67 would be prefixed on every call I made. I want to call Johnny's mother back from the texting card, but I don't want her to have my phone number.

But, when I'm not on call, I want my called ID displayed to the caller.

Any apps (or suggestions?)
  2. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan_md View Post
    I'd love a phone block app. What do I mean? An app that I can quickly switch on and off the called ID blocker.

I'm a doc, and I get texts in the middle of the night with phone number of patients to call back. for example

Ms. Smith, mother of Jonny, 4 month old with fever 248-555-5555.

I want to just be able to click on the number and call the patient back without having to insert the *67. By turning on the ON CALL switch on my phone, *67 would be prefixed on every call I made. I want to call Johnny's mother back from the texting card, but I don't want her to have my phone number.

But, when I'm not on call, I want my called ID displayed to the caller.

Any apps (or suggestions?)
    I've taken the opposite approach. Sprint automatically blocks my outgoing caller id (I don't need to enter *67) for free, and for anyone that's in my phone book that I want to see it's me calling, I just enter their phone number with *82 before it. That way, I never need to worry about transmitting my caller id info to my clients, but everyone I know sees it's me calling.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    My wife is a Social Worker, and I set her phone up to do the same as Ay, and we have had good success keeping her number from people who shouldn't have it.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    I've taken the opposite approach. Sprint automatically blocks my outgoing caller id (I don't need to enter *67) for free, and for anyone that's in my phone book that I want to see it's me calling, I just enter their phone number with *82 before it. That way, I never need to worry about transmitting my caller id info to my clients, but everyone I know sees it's me calling.
    That's how I had my old Tre650 set up. But when you try to text in that setting, (permablock), the Pre won't send texts (at least on Verizon). So now I'm idetify-able and just have the answering service connect me. I wish there was a switch (or button/app) like the mute on the Pre.
  5. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    That's how I had my old Tre650 set up. But when you try to text in that setting, (permablock), the Pre won't send texts (at least on Verizon). So now I'm idetify-able and just have the answering service connect me. I wish there was a switch (or button/app) like the mute on the Pre.
    Interesting. My texts go through no problem like that on Sprint. Chalk one up for Sprint Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Wow do we need a Google Voice App. Sadly, my wife has left the Pre building for Android Highway because of this exact reason. Her HTC Hero CDMA (sprint) will ask her to send text or calls through Google Voice or regular Phone.
    Google Voice has become her answering service BTW. She has turned off forwarding of calls but allows transcriptions and emails (just as a second notification) and is able to call out or text through her Google Voice # from her phone.

During the day it is forwarded back to her office. Sometimes in the evening she will forward it to her cell phone just to take some calls. Workaholic....

I'm still bitter @ Google for shutting down the webos Gdial api's...
  8. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Wow do we need a Google Voice App. Sadly, my wife has left the Pre building for Android Highway because of this exact reason. Her HTC Hero CDMA (sprint) will ask her to send text or calls through Google Voice or regular Phone.
    You're saying your wife's Sprint Pre wouldn't allow her to send text messages if caller id was permanently blocked? Strange - mine will. Anyway, I also sometimes send texts through Google Voice. I just go to http://google.com/voice/m (I have it bookmarked in my launcher), and use the web interface to send those texts on the Pre. It's one extra step (it's not built into the phone like Android), but it works like a charm for me.
    What I meant was the annoyance she was getting with her GoogleVoice / Palm WebOS not working so nicely in the manner that she was using it. She needed her # unidentified majority of the time. Since it become her fulltime answering service, going to goog's website wasn't always working out.. Trust me. I tried. She wasn't having it, especially since android implemented it so well.

I never knew about the permablock thingy and wish I had. I hate it when she shows me apps and says, "can your palm do this?"...
  10.    #10  
    what I mean is when someone texted me and I replied, they got no response on their device....
  11. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    what I mean is when someone texted me and I replied, they got no response on their device....
    I wonder if the problem isn't so much with your phone/caller id, as it might be on the receiver's end? Perhaps the specific text message got lost in cyberspace? Did you test more than once? Perhaps they have a white list or black list issue for text messaging? Worth investigating because, like I said, my caller id is blocked, but I can text with no problems (but on Sprint).
  12.    #12  
    Ay,

My wife could text me from her iPhone but my response were never received by her. This also happened, I believe, with Verizon users.
  13. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Ay,

My wife could text me from her iPhone but my response were never received by her. This also happened, I believe, with Verizon users.
    Strange - I just texted to my wife's Verizon Blackberry from my Sprint Pre with blocked caller id, and she received it (showing it was from my phone number) without any problem. It appears that blocking caller id only works for calls and not text messages (which is perfect for me) on Sprint. I don't know why you're having a different situation. Sorry I couldn't help....
    I'm new here. Can somebody tell me how to block my outgoing number on a Verizon Pre Plus, like I was able to do on my AT&T Treo? Thanks.
  15. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fahzz View Post
    I'm new here. Can somebody tell me how to block my outgoing number on a Verizon Pre Plus, like I was able to do on my AT&T Treo? Thanks.
    To do this on a "per call basis", just dial *67 before the number (this should be true for any landline, cell phone, etc.). If you want to this for all calls, you'll need to do see if Verizon if can set this on your account. I know Sprint could for me.
    I just looked at my phone Preferences and there's an option to "Show my caller ID" (off or on). Is that new with the update?

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
  17. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisys Mom View Post
    I just looked at my phone Preferences and there's an option to "Show my caller ID" (off or on). Is that new with the update?
    Hmmm - what network are you on? That's not an option for me on Sprint....
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    Hmmm - what network are you on? That's not an option for me on Sprint....
    Wow, I'm on ATT, and we never get anything.

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    Huh? Phone preferences, show caller ID on/off?? Send a pic, I'm confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Huh? Phone preferences, show caller ID on/off?? Send a pic, I'm confused.
    OK, remind me how to do that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast