Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    v0.4.0 - available July 13-14th via web distribution (see link below)

This app currently gives you the ability to listen to the latest 70 PalmCasts (stream or download) and to view the most recent headlines. Tapping on the headlines will now reveal the contents of the article inside the app, instead of opening a browser. It now includes a refresh button to reload the headlines instead of having to close the app. Also there's a forums button that opens the mobile forums in a new browser card (didn't use webView, as someone suggested, because there's no refresh, navigation, stop buttons by default and there's no benefit at this time).

Fixes include:
    - Color scheme changed (yes, look below!)
    - Weird scrolling behavior fixed
    - Thumbnails in list and images in articles now shown
    - Stream or download latest 70 Palmcasts (instead of only streaming latest one)
    - Refresh button

The app is now and will always be free. PreCentral rocks.

Questions, comments, suggestions? Leave them below.

Download PreCentral App for your webOS device

Screenshots (v0.3.0):

Last edited by jdforsythe; 07/13/2010 at 08:13 PM.
    did you develop the first one, or is this in addition to that?

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...precentral-app

Granted this is just a shortcut-link to the website.

I would like to see the ability to access the forums as well, it would be awesome to get a more friendly interface with the forums via the Pre/Pixi.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  3.    #3  
    No, I did not develop the first one. I will edit the first post with screenshots. I am working on some more features, but just wanted to publish what I had working thus far.
    Cool, thanks really hoped someone would make something better!

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    I do not believe there is an API for vBulletin. There are alot of really cool skins tho..

Free VBulletin Templates, Themes and Styles - themesBase.com
    That green backgroud looks very ugly, works on a computer but not the phone.

maybe you can work with the other guy who wrote the other App and incorporate this into 1 package cause i don't see myself wanting 2 precentral Apps that pretty pretty much do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    That green backgroud looks very ugly, works on a computer but not the phone.

maybe you can work with the other guy who wrote the other App and incorporate this into 1 package cause i don't see myself wanting 2 precentral Apps that pretty pretty much do the same.
    The other app is not a native app. It's just using a webview widget (web browser) pointing to the PreCentral mobile site.

It would be great if a fully-functional, native app was created to view the PreCentral stories and forums.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    The other app is not a native app. It's just using a webview widget (web browser) pointing to the PreCentral mobile site.

It would be great if a fully-functional, native app was created to view the PreCentral stories and forums.
    Yea, it would be great. We've been asking for such an app for over a year now lol...
    The green isn't really working buddy, can't you try a different color,and we also need a thanks button too. Thanks for being concern.
    We need something like ForumPilot with some other features to accommodate mobile usage. We've become so spoiled over web access the offline readers is a thing of the past. Hopefully, AT&T and Verizon's charge to take back data pricing control will change this.

Considering how much vBulletin is being used among tech sites (vbulletin is the forum software used here, xda, and a gazillion other web sites..) I am shocked the this hasn't been made already. Considering that one the app is made, the person could just change a few things and rebrand the reader to each individual site. Like a PreCentral Offline Forum Reader, or.. AndroidCentral. and so on...

hey devs... Homebrew crew... We needa PreCentral App...
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post

I use the forums and read all storeys with the other App.
    do you mean you just want an App that goes into the AppCat?
    I have offered to work with P|C to make an app probably 10 times now since September.

It has continually been delayed and I was recently told they're moving to another CMS. If that is the case, then we will soon have a fully official P|C app.

My ideas are to bring together the whole site (i.e. have the articles, how tos, reviews, et al from the main site; have the forums; have the store; the app gallery; and the homebrew app gallery).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Me personally am fine with the mobile site but I see how this could easily become my fav app.

This would give access to all Palm phones which is nice cause only 10% of Pre owners have homebrew I would think
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    It has continually been delayed and I was recently told they're moving to another CMS. If that is the case, then we will soon have a fully official P|C app.
    CMS??
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    CMS??
    Content Management System
  17.    #17  
    Obviously the UI is not complete. It was thrown together pretty quickly. I have only incorporated two things from the site, the Palmcast and the news feed, and wanted to get it out there to see the interest. Now that I see people are pretty interested, I will continue working on the other features. As I add things, I will update the app and also the UI. Sure, it's ugly - it's about the ugliest green I have ever seen - but I didn't pick the color

As far as incorporating the homebrew app, what is the point? It is basically just a link to the mobile site. This app will be much more when it is completed. Unfortunately, the forums will probably be the last thing I can incorporate because of the fact stated above, that there is no API for the forum software. Scraping the pages to display the forums is an involved enough task, but then you'll all want to be able to log in and post things, too.

What parts of the site do you guys want incorporated first?
  18.    #18  
    The update should be available soon. The app will check for updates when it is opened (but a maximum of one check per 6 hours) or just check manually. Finished uploading it about 5 minutes ago.
    vBulletin API

what is this???
    I rather have a white background than the green, or orange.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast