1.    #1  
    "Palm Eliminates App Submission Fees
    These are exciting times for Palm and our developer community. The Hot Apps promotion that we kicked off back in February is about to end with over 400 developers receiving a share of a million dollars. We recently launched the Summer Half Off promotion—a 50% discount for nearly every app in our catalog that was funded by Palm; developers still get their full earnings for each sale, but customers get half off. And we're just getting started.

In July, we're launching the new PDK Hot Apps promotion—another million dollars to developers, this time focused on the C/C++ apps that were excluded from the original Hot Apps promotion.

And we have one more program change that will benefit all developers. When we launched the developer program, we introduced a $50 per app fee to submit apps into our catalog. Effective immediately, we're waiving this fee and refunding to all developers any $50 fees collected in the past. If you're one such developer, you will see a credit in your PayPal account in the near future.

Thank you for being part of the webOS community. We will continue to evolve the Developer Program as together we build an incredible application catalog for customers.

If you have any questions about these upcoming changes, please contact us at pdc@palm.com.

Palm Developer Relations"
  2. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    This is awesome. Now every dl becomes profit, rather then a step closer to digging out of the $50 dollar submission fee hole.
    Wow that's Cool! Sorli...

Let the Apps Rain!!!
    Uh Oh, now Brighthouse and Dijit will produce even more profitable spam...
    No kidding... but maybe some more of what is in the homebrew community will also find its way into the app catalog- IE Brightness Unlinked, Mode Switcher etc... ALOT of these apps have stayed away because of the cost.
    Sweet!! Now we can have more killer apps from brighthouse, dijit & appible! And quality apps will be less visible. Who needs quality apps when you can have apps like "Paul Iacono Official app". Way to go Palm!!
    I'll suffer through a few extra crApps if it means I get to see even one gem that otherwise wouldn't have made it into the catalog.

My scrolling finger isn't that sensitive.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Yep, since adding the Hide App Venders patch, I don't really notice them anymore. The move sounds like a great one for young and/or novice devs and maybe it'll spur a few more people into action. Of course, I'd rather they release those APIs a might sooner than fall
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    One of the biggest selling points for iPhone and Android are thier app catalogs and the "thousands" of apps they have. It doesnt seem to matter that so many of them are crap apps... Also, I've read a lot of people citing the reason they switched to the Evo was because it had a larger app catalog. So I'm guessing that HPalm finally gave in a just figured that they need a larger number of apps to be competitive, no matter the "quality" of the app.
    They could have just said "first 10 apps per developer" would have the $50 waived. That still would have attracted plenty of devs while still keeping a leash on the abomination that is Brighthouse Labs.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    They could have just said "first 10 apps per developer" would have the $50 waived. That still would have attracted plenty of devs while still keeping a leash on the abomination that is Brighthouse Labs.
    +1
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Android gets to count apps that are a single image or ringtone as an "app" in their numbers. As much as I totally hate it, it's the reality of the market today that people compare those apples-and-oranges numbers across platforms (no pun intended). Of course, quality hardware, marketing, and APIs will do more than anything to boost those numbers.

For now, however, the easiest thing Palm can do with their pre-HP dollars is give em to developers to get more apps in the store, even crApps, to try and get in the same league as iOS/Android/Blackberry for when they do release new hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    Android gets to count apps that are a single image or ringtone as an "app" in their numbers. As much as I totally hate it, it's the reality of the market today that people compare those apples-and-oranges numbers across platforms (no pun intended). Of course, quality hardware, marketing, and APIs will do more than anything to boost those numbers.

For now, however, the easiest thing Palm can do with their pre-HP dollars is give em to developers to get more apps in the store, even crApps, to try and get in the same league as iOS/Android/Blackberry for when they do release new hardware.
    You sir have hit the nail on the head. I think it sucks, but that is what we need to get the good press. Not a single journalist cares about quality, they just compare numbers.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook