Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I have just released an app that brings original (ie not out of copyright works cut and pasted directly from Project Gutenberg) stories, essays and comics to WebOS.

The name (with link) is Galactic Beacon: Volume 1.

It is an anthology of science fiction, fantasy and comics that will be published in ePub format as well, but the app allows for fun stuff like links out to YouTube and an easy to use viewer for the comics.

The theme of Volume 1 is "One Way Missions To Mars". This concept has been debated recently as the fastest way to get people on the red planet, but it clearly comes with a heavy price.

I have two short stories and two essays that deal with this subject, plus one fantasy story and one entry in my "Better Literature Through Science" department. That is my one debt to out of copyright literature, but it is not a straight copy. If you have read Pride And Prejudice And Zombies (or its imitators) then you have an idea what to expect in this feature. Raven 2.0 is my parody of the concept of modifying classic literature...

If you would like a sample of the comics, you can check out the Galactic Beacon website.

Releasing as an app is an experiment for me. I'm starting with a web distributed version, and if there is sufficient interest I'll try to release a version for the app catalog. The only concern I have is that my stories may violate certain rules for the app catalog. There's nothing bad in them, per se, but I'm not sure how strict the enforcement of those rules is.

The biggest example that worries me is that one of my characters is injured and injects a narcotic pain-killer. You've seen it in a bunch of war movies, and on a mission to Mars, you bet that is exactly what would happen. I'm not willing to change my story to have the character chew up some children's Tylenol just to get listed on the phone. The rule is pretty clear: any mention of narcotics gets you banned. I'm sure the spirit of that rule is not to show recreational use of drugs, but that's not how it's worded, and Palm doesn't refund your $50 if they reject your app...

In any event, I hope you check out my app and enjoy the stories and comics.

Let me know what you think, too.
    Last edited by jeffa00; 07/02/2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Changed URL to Catalog version instead of Web Distr. URL.
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Just bought it. Happy to support original SF and apps too! {Jonathan}
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Thanks, Johnathon. Hope you enjoy it.

jeffa
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Thanks, Palm!

They've extended their half-off deal on all apps until July 23rd!

Don't forget to pick up my app while it's half off!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I'm running a quick little contest to win free copies of my app.

The details are over in another forum thread here.

You have to be able to install an IPK file to your device to make use of the prize, just FYI.

If you want to enter, don't post here, post in that thread.

jeffa
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Galactic Beacon: Volume 1 is now available in the App Catalog.

I've update the original post in the thread to use the new URL.

Please note that the Web Distr. version and the App Catlog version ARE THE SAME. Well, I did correct a couple of quote marks that were of the wrong sort in the Raven 2.0 story. If you buy one, please don't buy the other...