View Poll Results: What price should Scratch be?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make it the App Catalog minimum price -- $0.99

4 18.18%
  • Match "that other app" wherever it goes.

4 18.18%
  • Drop it to the $2.50 sale price

11 50.00%
  • Keep it as-is at $5.00

2 9.09%
  • Raise it!

1 4.55%
  1.    #1  
    Could y'all do me a favor, and tell me what you think a fair price for the Scratch Word Processor is?

I started at $5, and quickly got undercut by a certain application by one dollar and one cent. Time has passed, the market is different, and Scratch's price hasn't changed, although it IS on sale for $2.50... as with every other app in the catalog.

Once the Palm Hot Apps contest dies down, and I can actually submit an update, I'm going to re-adjust Scratch's price. The only question is, to what?
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    $3-$3.50. I think $2.50 is not really a fair price, but $5 may be too much for the occasional user. People are penny pinchers, I don't care how many Treo holdovers say they're willing to spend $30/$40/$50 on an app because they were used to paying that much on PalmOS.

That said, I don't think $5 is a bad price. It is a justifiable price. But if you want to compete on price and aim for more casual users, that's my two cents. It doesn't have to be permanent - you can call it a "sale" and see how it affects purchases. I think people are more inclined to buy something if it's a sale rather than just a price drop...see Steam, the PC-game store.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    $3-$3.50. I think $2.50 is not really a fair price, but $5 may be too much for the occasional user. People are penny pinchers, I don't care how many Treo holdovers say they're willing to spend $30/$40/$50 on an app because they were used to paying that much on PalmOS.

That said, I don't think $5 is a bad price. It is a justifiable price. But if you want to compete on price and aim for more casual users, that's my two cents. It doesn't have to be permanent - you can call it a "sale" and see how it affects purchases. I think people are more inclined to buy something if it's a sale rather than just a price drop...see Steam, the PC-game store.
    +1. Assuming that you can afford to do it based on the time and resources you are putting into this app, I'd aim for the $2.99 to $3.49 price point. As one of the aforementioned casual users, $5.00 felt a little high for what appeared to be marketed as a casual word processing app. Another thought might be to try to reposition your app to justify a higher price. Perhaps add more features, or adjust your app's name and description in the app catalog.

One thing you're definitely doing right is seeking out the opinions of your purchasers. Thanks very much for asking this question. I've been very impressed by your presence on these boards and your responsiveness to your customers.

Also, keep in mind that the app sale is only going on in the USA right now. Scratch was actually one of the apps I really wanted to purchase on sale, until I found out that as a Canadian I can't.

Best wishes in your future WebOS development!
    I'm assuming the "Other App" you're referring to is Notes?
    The issue of price is a difficult one. I don't think price is a big deal for users who know what they want. I started out my app at $2 (I wasn't even aware of Scratch until a user emailed me asking me to add features from 'scratch' and 'done' ). As I added more features, I realized the price had to go up (even some users told me to). You don't want to sell your app too cheap (considering how much effort you put in it), at the same time, you don't want to make it too high (unless you truly feel it's worth it).
    On the other hand, you have some users that only want the free stuff. I saw someone post that he's never bought an app (which is a shame, because he's obviously not maximizing the potential of his phone). For the few users that are willing to spend, they need to be convinced (somehow) that its worth it. Question is, how much would you pay for your own App?
    Truth is not matter the price, developing on webOS isn't as lucrative as "that other" platform

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopgoat View Post
    I'm assuming the "Other App" you're referring to is Notes?
    ... whistles nonchalantly...

... secretly is convinced that snoopgoat is not Inglorious Apps, but rather someone getting paid a nickle for every link ...

... smiles and gets back to whatever the heck he was doing ...
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

I would of never spend $5 for an app if it wasn't a 3d game.. And I only got two 3D games... This is not the old days where apps is $30 bucks and people like my self expect for a cheaper under five buck app. I did buy Scratch at $2.50 and $3.50 is the highest I will pay. It's not hard for someone to pay for an app and then change the name and sell it for $2 bucks cheaper and have more downloads and make a bigger profit. Just see what happened to drpodder.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Here's the thing, you're going to make more $$$ on a FEW people...but you could make less money on MORE people! Many many MANY examples of marketing show that lowering the price will bring in more money by simply putting it in more hands.

You've already done the programming (updates may be necessary, obviously), but that apps are in a new world now -AFFORDABLE... Most people want to buy apps, but they want MORE apps, so they will naturally buy cheap apps and have MORE of them.

I voted for the $1 choice, but I would also support the $2.50 sale price.
    I haven't purchased this one because I learned of the other app first...if I had a chance to TRY this one, I would consider it...
    I voted for the sale price because now that it is on sale, I am seriously considering buying it and will probably buy it tonight. It at least prompted me to go to the google site and look into how to use google docs as I have never used it before. Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like I can create docs on your app, load them to the google docs site, and then load them to my desktop to open with MS word and vice-versa? If that is the case, I will definately buy it at the 2.50 price and would frankly buy it at 5.00 too. My main issue is I use Word at work and would like to have the option to do more than view documents (obviously). If this is possible, it may be a good thing to point out in your app description and may prompt people to buy more readily.
    i paid $5 for the app and dont regret it, the second i found out what it was and what it could do i didnt think twice about spending the money....it was a necessity
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Lower prices usually sell better. Some times it comes down to a couple cents these days for a sale or someone walking away. That being said, I said match their price.
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    I haven't purchased this one because I learned of the other app first...if I had a chance to TRY this one, I would consider it...
    Beta version in Preware...
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    and after 5 minutes of playing with the beta, I'm sold. I wanted to test it before I paid for it as I'm an occasional user and don't want to any spend money on something that doesn't do what I need it to. (no matter how cheap it is, if it doesn't work for me it's a waste of money).

Anywhere in the $2.50 to $5.00 range seems OK to me - but I would urge you to release a demo version into the App Catalog for free so that people can see just how good Scratch is.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  13.    #13  
    For those who want to try it out for free, there IS a fully functional free beta.

Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

The only changes are the annoying "this is a beta" start page, and the SQL function that deletes any document that hasn't been modified in more than 36 hours each time you start up. (Ok, and the appid and name.)

Thank you all for your feedback!
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

P.S. - in the UK App Catalogue Scratch is currently 3.00 and the other app is 3.62
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    ... whistles nonchalantly...

... secretly is convinced that snoopgoat is not Inglorious Apps, but rather someone getting paid a nickle for every link ...

... smiles and gets back to whatever the heck he was doing ...
    Haha, I wish I can afford to pay someone
    I would recommend two versions of the app...

1) Scratch Lite for $.99 (Scratch minus Google Sync and perhaps some of the more advanced features like short-cut formatting, search, and word suggestion)

and

2) Scratch the kick ***** full featured version at $2.99!

This will create a chance for you to share a quality app w/ the masses at an entry level price and a more powerful version of the app at a more than fair price. I think you'll find that alot of those "entry" users will start to crave the additional functionality and will gladly dish out another $2.99 for the full version!
    Give me a webOS device w/ Preware, Scratch, NaNplayer, and the Thunderchief...You can keep your Robot!