1.    #1  
    Was hoping for some info and opinions on what would function for this easy task. Between Notes, Scratch, and ClouDocs.

What I am wanting is something simple, that can sync with a google docs account, edit and save basic text documents back to the cloud. The wife and I both use our pre's for shopping lists and various other tasks, etc that we communicate on but may not always be together to accomplish. Currently we are using memo's which works as long as we both get everything into our memos.

So my though is purchasing one of these apps for each phone would allow us to both sync to a single cloud document to be able to keep up. Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Was hoping for some info and opinions on what would function for this easy task. Between Notes, Scratch, and ClouDocs.

What I am wanting is something simple, that can sync with a google docs account, edit and save basic text documents back to the cloud. The wife and I both use our pre's for shopping lists and various other tasks, etc that we communicate on but may not always be together to accomplish. Currently we are using memo's which works as long as we both get everything into our memos.

So my though is purchasing one of these apps for each phone would allow us to both sync to a single cloud document to be able to keep up. Any thoughts?
    First things that you should be aware of is that, whichever App you use, it will have to communicate with Google via the List Data Web service. Most likely, they will send a receive (X)HTML files -- even "simple text" will probably have HTML behind it, and I do believe (they don't say) that Google will save even a no-format text file as HTML after you upload it.

Scratch (note signature --I'm biased) stores everything natively as HTML entries in its local database, and I can't imagine Notes or Cloudocs doing anything different. With Scratch, you choose when and what files to upload or download, whereas with Notes the files--all of your google files, maybe all of them period--go ahead and sync themselves every time you close the program.

One feature that Scratch pioneered (and Notes soon copied) was extending the Rich Text editor to use actual HTML formatting -- numbered or bulleted lists, as well as paragraphs. If you want to get fancy Scratch does have a wide array of formatting options, but it's intent is for writing, not desktop publishing, so those are fairly hidden away.

Notes's biggest feature that Scratch doesn't have is embedding images and videos, but those don't get sent to Google Docs, just the plain text.

I haven't seen enough of Cloudocs to comment, although I did find you a discussion thread.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/we...-cloudocs.html

Obviously I think that you should buy two copies of Scratch, especially since with Palm's 50% off sale (if you're in the US) you can get them both for the price of a footlong sub. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to leave them here or shoot me a PM or email, and I'll respond as soon as I can.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    'Notes' by Inglorious Apps worked pretty good for me so far. The only issue was syncing with new documents created in Notes folder using new GoogleDoc format - they do not seem to sync back to Notes app. If you create a document in the Notes on webOS and export it to GoogleDocs, then you can edit it in GoogleDocs and sync back to webOS without problems.
    I used this app to finally copy notes from my old Palm TX to my Pre - worked like a charm.
    Now I use it to take quick notes during meetings at work - I'm the only person not showing with paper pad and pen...
    Last edited by jaroslawk; 06/25/2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typo
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    Scratch (note signature --I'm biased) stores everything natively as HTML entries in its local database, and I can't imagine Notes or Cloudocs doing anything different. With Scratch, you choose when and what files to upload or download, whereas with Notes the files--all of your google files, maybe all of them period--go ahead and sync themselves every time you close the program.
    Thanks for the quick response specific to scratch, still trying to read the threads on all 3 and they all seam to do things different enough that I can't decide yet.

When it comes to syncing notes, I get that I can force upload/download... is there a way to set the note to auto sync? Also does Scratch support more than 1 googledocs login (this is not a deal breaker at all just wondering)? The shared info will be on a gmail account the wife and I share, but if I get into the habit of using a program I would like to use it to replace the Palm memos app and sync to the google docs associated with my personal e-mail as well.

Once again thanks for all the info!
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    ... With Scratch, you choose when and what files to upload or download, whereas with Notes the files--all of your google files, maybe all of them period--go ahead and sync themselves every time you close the program.

Notes syncs automatically to Google Docs only the documents that were changed. Everything else is done upon user request.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaroslawk View Post
    Notes syncs automatically to Google Docs only the documents that were changed. Everything else is done upon user request.
    Yeah my concern is in another thread where the Dev of Notes said he was thinking about removing the googledocs sync. Also not sure how an auto sync function based on changes will affect what I am trying to do, unless it checks with the cloud every time you open the note as well. Seeing as the webos app will never know when the googledoc app has been changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Yeah my concern is in another thread where the Dev of Notes said he was thinking about removing the googledocs sync....
    It was more of a vent of frustration with google's api . I don't plan to remove it. The way the app works is very simple. When you create a new note (or couple of notes), when you toss the card, these new notes are neatly uploaded to gdocs in the background (It seats on the dashboard). Same thing if you edit a note.
    The app does not check the cloud everytime you open the app or note. If you change a note via the gdocs web, you then have to manually import that note in the Notes app using the import function.

If you're having a tough time choosing, go to the app catalog, and view the demo video of each app, and see which suits your taste. Heck, I say buy each app, and see which you prefer. Chances are you're only going to be using one (i.e Notes ). I tell you what, if you don't like Notes, I'll refund you
    I use Notes.

Things Notes does that I like, along with screenshots I uploaded using one of his other apps, FlickrCam:

1. Notes is not made to be word processor, however, due to user requests, more formatting options were added. So it does function as a word processor and it does well for me. It is meant as more of a replacement of the Palm memo app. As such, it doesn't really count words like Scratch does, but it does do alarms/reminders. Also, while Notes may not provide some formatting options, it does import them if they're on the Google Doc.

2. Notes is really pleasing on the eye. I'm sorry, but the plain stale gray of may webOS list apps is a huge turnoff, so I'm always happy when apps turn away from it.

3. The worry of syncing docs back to Google is taken off, the app does it automatically you when you exit. That said you have to manually import the notes yourself, but the dev said automatic sync is coming in a future update. Also, it only supports one Google Docs account as of right now.

4. Notes color codes its categories and allows you to set the option to have the titles display in the color that its category belongs to. By default, all items show, but you can switch between the categories.

IMO, if you're going to do hardcode word processing, you will want Scratch, but if you're looking to also replace your memo app, Notes is a great choice from an enthusiastic developer.

NOTE: On these screenshots, the top corners are messed up...not the dev's fault, it's a patch I have on my phone causing it. I will figure out what it is.
    Last edited by malpha; 06/25/2010 at 08:22 PM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Wow.. malpha, you pretty much summarized my app. It's as if you were inside my head while I was making this app for months . Thanks for the break-down

10.    #10  
    Malpha, THANKS!!! I actually already decided to buy after snoop's last post and watching the video in the app store. When I saw the ability to set reminders it was the final thing I needed. I use my calendar and bug me for note reminders. So I can now stop using memo's and bug me and just rock notes.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopgoat View Post
    It was more of a vent of frustration with google's api . I don't plan to remove it. The way the app works is very simple. When you create a new note (or couple of notes), when you toss the card, these new notes are neatly uploaded to gdocs in the background (It seats on the dashboard). Same thing if you edit a note.
    The app does not check the cloud everytime you open the app or note. If you change a note via the gdocs web, you then have to manually import that note in the Notes app using the import function.

If you're having a tough time choosing, go to the app catalog, and view the demo video of each app, and see which suits your taste. Heck, I say buy each app, and see which you prefer. Chances are you're only going to be using one (i.e Notes ). I tell you what, if you don't like Notes, I'll refund you

Created a note and closed app to sync to google docs (had never actually used google docs before), synced just fine. Logged into google docs, shared test document with my wifes gmail. Logged into her gmail, went into doc made edit hit save. Opened notes back up, hit import googledocs, imported the single doc, and the changes made in her login were already there. I will be playing with this more intensly this weekend and getting all my memos into google docs/notes. So I will expand on anything I can later (probably not necessary after Malpha's post).

Couple questions for Snoop now. First, does the pin lock use the same encryption algorythym as MediaVault? Just curious on that one. Also, say I were to put media in a note, does that media show up in the media app it is associated with if I delete the original? Or if I delete it from the phone does it delete it from the note? I plan on playing with this anyways but figured if you had the answers already I wouldn't have to test it all out.

Lastly, how close are you to fixing the 100 note limit? Just curious on this one, even with my centro memos and all the memos from my pre I don't think I have 100, but then again this app is going to allow me to better organize and find my notes so I will probably end up with more than the memo app.

With all that, thanks to both devs for the info. For anyone wondering why I went with this instead of scratch, I was looking for this app (memo replacement with lots more features) vs. a more robust document editor. If I had the money I would probably rock both (especially with the half off sale), but for my uses Scratch would be overkill as I spend most of my day infront of a windows box with Microsoft Office on it as it is.

Ohhh and notes will be getting put on the wifes phone at some point this weekend.
    OldSkoolVWLover:
    Thanks for getting Notes. First off, I'd say if you have questions, issues or suggestions, you can always shoot me a direct email, for faster response (since my Pre lives in my pocket )
    To answer your questions:
    1) There is no encryption algorithm involved in locking the notes. Its just a simple 4-digit pincode that you setup in the prefs. It basically locks the app, so if someone opens it, they can't see your notes unless the right pincode is entered. The interface is very siimilar to my MediaVault app (which you pointed out). Now, I've received several emails requesting the ability to lock individual notes (I honestly don't know why anyone would want that, but hey as soon as I figure it out, I'm adding it )
    2) The App doesn't really store attached media, so if you screw around with the original media file (e.g deleting), you'd screw things up!
    3) Concerning the limit thing, I'm pretty much done fixing it. I'm not a heavy note taker, so I didn't test the limits fully . But basically its a pagination thingy where google returns results in sets of 100. I still have a few other things to fix, but an update will be coming out very soon

Thanks for the support...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopgoat View Post
    OldSkoolVWLover:
    Thanks for getting Notes. First off, I'd say if you have questions, issues or suggestions, you can always shoot me a direct email, for faster response (since my Pre lives in my pocket )
    To answer your questions:
    1) There is no encryption algorithm involved in locking the notes. Its just a simple 4-digit pincode that you setup in the prefs. It basically locks the app, so if someone opens it, they can't see your notes unless the right pincode is entered. The interface is very siimilar to my MediaVault app (which you pointed out). Now, I've received several emails requesting the ability to lock individual notes (I honestly don't know why anyone would want that, but hey as soon as I figure it out, I'm adding it )
    2) The App doesn't really store attached media, so if you screw around with the original media file (e.g deleting), you'd screw things up!
    3) Concerning the limit thing, I'm pretty much done fixing it. I'm not a heavy note taker, so I didn't test the limits fully . But basically its a pagination thingy where google returns results in sets of 100. I still have a few other things to fix, but an update will be coming out very soon

Thanks for the support...
    Awesome, I will definitely shoot you an e-mail if I have anything I am really pressed about. Good to know about the media. As far as the limit it would probably take me a while to reach 100 if ever, was just a curiosity thing, with this app I do see myself taking (and keeping more notes in the future). With the default palm apps (even the one on PalmOS) the features weren't as smooth and the cloud sync really does it.

Also on the locking of notes, I think I mentioned the idea of a "Private" category. That may be easier than programming the lock into individual notes, since you could just throw a button in the drop down to "Unlock Private" similar to how you have the program written now to lock the entire program down. At the same time, (thinking as I type) I don't know if there will ever be a good way to do this with the cloud sync option, unless the turning on of "Private Lock" would also lock the ability to import. I am sure this is stuff you have thought of, but just throwing random thoughts out while you are working on the idea/concept/programming.

Thanks for all your responses, and the great App. I will surely be recommending it to anyone in the future.