Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I did track one app to a chinese email address and the guy responded that he was a HP employee trying out webos development. I did find his linkedin page...

he was a hp labs engineer is what LinkedIn page said..
    I'm sorry, but it's hard for me to believe that it's an internal contest between HP devs to learn webOS. Why? Because these devs should already know CSS, Javascript, and HTML to develop high quality apps. They would have been testing CSS in the process and not have been releasing their apps to the public with those massive descriptions with terrible grammar. I mean, it just doesn't make sense. I can't believe it.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    I'm sorry, but it's hard for me to believe that it's an internal contest between HP devs to learn webOS. Why? Because these devs should already know CSS, Javascript, and HTML to develop high quality apps. They would have been testing CSS in the process and not have been releasing their apps to the public with those massive descriptions with terrible grammar. I mean, it just doesn't make sense. I can't believe it.
    There's a little bit more to programming for webOS than just knowing HTML/CSS/JavaScript. You have to learn Mojo (APIs, scenes, stage assistants and how everything ties together), you have to learn how the app structure works, how to create proper UI for a mobile device and more. There' a bit of a learning curve there .
    CSS, Javascript and HTML are technologies used primarily for web development. And as it turns out, not all software engineers/developers/programmers develop for the web and are familiar with these technologies.

So, in my opinion, non-web application developers will face the same learning curve for developing for webOS as they would any other mobile platform.
    That the opposite is true is mostly a myth.
    Wow. Really? I drive cars.

Tomorrow I am going to ask Nascar if I can drive in their race. I'm already a driver.... I should already know the gas pedal means go, and brake means stop.. Right? Nutin to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post

Tomorrow I am going to ask Nascar if I can drive in their race. I'm already a driver.... I should already know the gas pedal means go, and brake means stop.. Right? Nutin to it!
    Actually, you are overqualified. You know how to do right and left hand turns, in Nascar you only have to worry about left hand turns.
    Wrong! NASCAR also runs on two road courses.
    sonoma and watkins glen
    How about this? I just went and tried to install the DUI testing app from HP and my phone said it could not run on my version of the OS and to go update it. Seems like the HP Apps are built for the next version of the OS??

Yes, I know about the road courses ;-). Old Nascar joke ... if being chased by a Nascar driver how to get away? Turn right, because they only know how to turn left...
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post

Sorry guy, but that's a poor analogy. No one is saying HP suddenly offered their employees big bucks as professional WebOS developers.

A better analogy would be - I drive cars. Texas Motor Speedway picked a week to let wannabe's take a couple laps around the track. I hear there might even be some sponsors watching for potential drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    CSS, Javascript and HTML are technologies used primarily for web development. And as it turns out, not all software engineers/developers/programmers develop for the web and are familiar with these technologies.

So, in my opinion, non-web application developers will face the same learning curve for developing for webOS as they would any other mobile platform.
    That the opposite is true is mostly a myth.
    Very good point.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    They are probably legit. HP have an in-house competition for their thousands of engineers to produce webOS applications (to encourage them to get familiar with webOS). Prizes are Pre and Pixi phones.
    They are legit.
    just got a email from palm announcing the promotion that hp is doing and saying you now can buy palm phones directly from HP
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    if its legit thats a cool way for HP people to get their feet wet with webos...
    Its totally legit. Watch the interview of the HP CTO where he explains about the competition - 47,000 HP engineers are competing for developing the best app for WebOS. Winners get Pre & Pixi phones.

http://www.precentral.net/hp-cto-phi...Central.net%29
    ya, I saw the interview and thought about all these "fake vendors.

not anymore! Lol
    Why is the app US only?
    During HP CTO Phil McKinney's webcast welcome to the WebOS community, he stated that he had challenged the HP engineers to create WebOS apps at this years HP Tech Con and promised the first 1000 app designers a free palm phone. We have noticed several apps showing up in the Palm App Catalog from a developer named "HP" who’s website link goes to the HP corporate website. Most postings on this thread have tried to discredit these HP apps as someone claming to be "HP". I think some of the apps developed by the HP engineers are finding their way to the palm catalog and may be worth a second look.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast