Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    Are these apps basically identicle or are they different enough it would benefit me to get both?

    Can Scratch open and edit .doc?

    Thank you in advance for your help...
    Its always interesting on Twitter @joelb
  2. #2  
    I have Scratch and I don't think you can edit MS Word doc files. It does have some rich text though, and it's a pretty nice app. You can edit Google docs and send them back to Google apps to work on. I've not done that yet, but I want to give it a try. If only someone could stop all the new work I'm supposed to do from coming in for about a year, then I would have time to do those little things I WANT to do!
  3. #3  
    i have them both, why i dont know... the notes app i use the most and it is pretty handy, and has minor wp capabilities.. scratch is much more involved and has more wp options and capabilities. it does alot more than i will ever need, i just bought it to support the dev, since he was the first one to make a wp app for the pre... both sync back and forth to google docs
  4. #4  
    Scratch and Notes are similar but not identical applications. Scratch is intended as a word processor for writing, while Notes seems meant more as just a beefed-up replacement for Palm's built-in memos app.

    Obviously, I think Scratch is better, but I haven't spent the time to do a real feature comparison against Notes. I do know that Notes allows you to paste in images to your files, but they don't have any better luck sending them to Google Docs than I have. (I also suspect that they're just using the stock RTE editor, as you have to be kind of a real writing geek to care about real paragraphs.)

    Neither Scratch nor Notes can read .doc files directly at this time, as there's no local File access in Palm WebOS. At best, we can send the file to a third-party site, like google, and then open it from there.

    With the ongoing Palm 50% off sale in the USA, it's a GREAT time to pick Scratch up. Inglorious Apps raised their price to match Scratch's, which means that for the $5 you might have spent on Scratch or Notes (or buying a fancy cup of coffee), you can have both, and get all of the updates either of us makes forever.

    (Buy Scratch!)
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

    Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    ..., i just bought it to support the dev, since he was the first one to make a wp app for the pre..:
    Not to cut in on this thread but Scratch was NOT the 1st wp app on the pre. Only in the official app catalog. Classic Note been in the web feed long before than.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jojobah View Post
    Are these apps basically identicle or are they different enough it would benefit me to get both?

    Can Scratch open and edit .doc?

    Thank you in advance for your help...
    I guess this is where I step in an say Notes is better?

    But seriously, Planesdragon pretty much summarized it. The only difference between the apps (apart from UI) is that you can have embedded images, video and audio clips to your notes in Notes. And Notes has a few other features like pin code protection, and reminders for your notes (but that's just features).
    If you're stuck on deciding which to get, view the video demo of both in the app catalog, and choose whichever suits your taste the most. Or just get both (you have till Jul 9th to take advantage of this sales)

    Inglorious Apps

    - Oh yeah, I hiked the price from $2 to $5, because the Notes app was doing so gr8, and I literally got emails from users asking me to increase the price : )
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopgoat View Post
    - Oh yeah, I hiked the price from $2 to $5, because the Notes app was doing so gr8, and I literally got emails from users asking me to increase the price : )
    Wait.. So you hiked up the price because people told you to AFTER they already brought up. Not fair well I'm Just A broke college kid ... My idea is Scratch Plus Notes Into One App...
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Wait.. So you hiked up the price because people told you to AFTER they already brought up. Not fair well I'm Just A broke college kid ... My idea is Scratch Plus Notes Into One App...
    Yeah...I don't type enough on it to pay $5, which is part of the reason I never bothered with Scratch (the other part being I wanted a better memo app, not a word processor), so I jumped on Notes when it was $2. Finally, it pays to be an early adopter!!
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Yeah...I don't type enough on it to pay $5, which is part of the reason I never bothered with Scratch (the other part being I wanted a better memo app, not a word processor), so I jumped on Notes when it was $2. Finally, it pays to be an early adopter!!
    Yep, you were one of the lucky people that got it for $2 when it initially popped up. Heck, some people even got it for $1.75 due to a screwup on my end. But now, its $2.50 with palm's app sales (It will NEVER go lower AGAIN, so anyone hesitating better get it).
    But I think the point here is app price doesn't make a difference. $5 isn't much for a one-time purchase of an app you use almost everyday. I mean, how much do ppl spend on coffee? If you truly find an app useful (I'm not talking about disposable apps from Brighthouse or Appible), $5 ($2.50 currently) isn't much of a sacrifice for a one-time payment.
  10. #10  
    I appreciate that both app devs openly say their sides and mention the benefits of both

    That's the sort of stuff you don't see in other app stores.
    Samsung A850< Sanyo Katana< Palm Centro< Samsung Instinct< Palm Pre

    <-Daft Punk in the Avatar!
  11. #11  
    Love webOS devs. Both great apps.
  12. #12  
    I vote for Note (s).
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    Neither Scratch nor Notes can read .doc files directly at this time, as there's no local File access in Palm WebOS. At best, we can send the file to a third-party site, like google, and then open it from there.
    How exactly does Dataviz Doc reader to this? Could there be a homebrew solution that could integrate this via doc viewer until HPalm allows the API's for local file access?

    Anyway, I recently bought both apps as well...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 07/07/2010 at 07:23 PM.
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14. #14  
    And by 'guys' I mean that in a non-gender specific usage!

    Thank you [devs] both for chiming in here. I have Scratch and like it, but I'm finding that with webOS, and the level of quick development that happens in this community, that it is just fun to buy apps and see them take off.

    You folks who develop for us are cream of the crop and we thank you. And ya'll are right, for the price of one, you can have both...sounds good for me! Of course, my final bill will be $7.50, but I'm ok with that.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  15. #15  
    I picked up Scratch because my Laptop is dead (corrupt BIOS) and I need something I can take with me to work on my AP Pych work.
  16. #16  
    Snoop-

    Question for you, are you really serious about pulling googledocs services? You talk about how many people told you to increase the price and it seams that the majority of users want the googledocs sync. For me, without that sync, your app isn't even in the discussion for me.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Snoop-

    Question for you, are you really serious about pulling googledocs services? You talk about how many people told you to increase the price and it seams that the majority of users want the googledocs sync. For me, without that sync, your app isn't even in the discussion for me.
    Nope
  18. #18  
    Can anyone describe some of the differences in word processing features between the two apps?
    Palm IIIc -> Palm T|T3 -> Palm Pre
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    Neither Scratch nor Notes can read .doc files directly at this time, as there's no local File access in Palm WebOS. At best, we can send the file to a third-party site, like google, and then open it from there.


    Can either of them open and edit .txt files on the device, or does the same limitation with .doc files apply?
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcolberg View Post
    Can anyone describe some of the differences in word processing features between the two apps?
    With Scratch, you have more formatting options, like font size, font color, html header formatting, bold, underline, italic, hyperlinks, word count (I may be missing something else).

    With Notes, you only have font options like bold, underline, italic, and auto-hyperlinks for emails, web address and phone numbers. You can't change font size or color. Notes is more geared towards the casual note taker.

    Now, neither of this app is a mobile version of Microsoft Word (we're still waiting for dataviz). If you're contemplating buying one or the other, I say you look at the demo videos, see which appeals more to you, or just get both.
    _____________________________________
    Inglorious Apps
    Developer of: Glimpse, Notes HD, Clipboard, Pix, Voices, Casa, Plickr, TweetCam, and Notes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions