1.    #1  
    I am using radiotime buBt noticed that the bitstream rates are lower than some of the other streaming apps. For example, when I listen to WKZE on Radiotime it is a 32 kbps rate, but using BROADcast it streams at 64 kbps. Is there a way to get a higher streaming rate from Radiotime?
    I believe station bitrate all depends on how the station sends out its broadcast.

Radiotime can't do anything about it.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    I am using radiotime buBt noticed that the bitstream rates are lower than some of the other streaming apps. For example, when I listen to WKZE on Radiotime it is a 32 kbps rate, but using BROADcast it streams at 64 kbps. Is there a way to get a higher streaming rate from Radiotime?
    Hi. I wrote both BroadCAST Radio and RadioTime. The 32 kbps is actually a higher quality stream because it's an AAC+ stream. The 64 kbps is an mp3 stream. However, the RadioTime stream will soon switch over to preferred mp3 streaming after today because of a bug in the WebOS AAC+ mono audio codec causing some stations to play faster than normal.

Lower bitrate doesn't necessarily mean lower quality, especially when dealing with different audio codecs. Also, BroadCAST will probably stop working before too long because SHOUTcast is changing their API and RadioTime is just a much better application overall. It offers a heck of a lot more stations and features.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Follow TuneIn on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/tunein
    Doc,

Until a week ago, I used Radiotime every day to listen to a favorite local station. Then, it started 'chipmonking'. Did the station change its stream or has Radiotime made some change?

I love the app and recommend it highly. But, I am disapponted that I can no longer listen to that station.
  5.    #5  
    Doc -

Thanks for the response. I get what you are saying about bit rates and there have been lots of discussion about encoding over the years....

So how about a 128 kbps option?

Regardless. I love the app!

Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    Hi. I wrote both BroadCAST Radio and RadioTime. The 32 kbps is actually a higher quality stream because it's an AAC+ stream. The 64 kbps is an mp3 stream. However, the RadioTime stream will soon switch over to preferred mp3 streaming after today because of a bug in the WebOS AAC+ mono audio codec causing some stations to play faster than normal.

Lower bitrate doesn't necessarily mean lower quality, especially when dealing with different audio codecs. Also, BroadCAST will probably stop working before too long because SHOUTcast is changing their API and RadioTime is just a much better application overall. It offers a heck of a lot more stations and features.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Doc,

Until a week ago, I used Radiotime every day to listen to a favorite local station. Then, it started 'chipmonking'. Did the station change its stream or has Radiotime made some change?

I love the app and recommend it highly. But, I am disapponted that I can no longer listen to that station.
    It's a bug in Palm WebOS's AAC+ mono audio codec. Normally, we send down the mp3 stream. However, we're going a massive server upgrade right now and it got switched to AAC+ as the preferred audio stream. We're switching it back over to prefer mp3 until Palm fixes the bug but we need to get through this server upgrade first. Luckily, it's supposed to be completed by the end of the night and should be back to normal by tomorrow.

Palm apparently has just received an updated codec from their codec provider as well. But, they've stated that it won't be in the 1.4.5 update. So, the ball really is in their court on when they get around to releasing it.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    Doc -

Thanks for the response. I get what you are saying about bit rates and there have been lots of discussion about encoding over the years....

So how about a 128 kbps option?

Regardless. I love the app!
    We can't make a 64 kbps mp3 stream or 32 kbps AAC+ stream into a 128 kbps stream. We don't stream anything from our servers. We only organize and direct users to streams. Each stream itself is owned, managed, and operated by each individual radio station and their associated streaming service provider.

The only thing we could possibly do is to filter by bitrate, but you're going to end up losing a lot of stations that way seeing as the majority of stations don't stream at 128 kbps mp3 these days as it's just too expensive compared to lower bitrate AAC and AAC+ streams.

Doc

RadioTime Developer