Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Good afternoon all,

I have used 2 programs for years on my Sony CLIE TH-55 - Gulliver Trips (travel) and Thought Manager (lists).

Do these exist in the WebOS world or something similar - I do not want to use classic on my Palm Pre.

Thanks,

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by does321 View Post
    I have used 2 programs for years on my Sony CLIE TH-55 - Gulliver Trips (travel) and Thought Manager (lists).

Do these exist in the WebOS world or something similar - I do not want to use classic on my Palm Pre.
    ThoughtManager actually works pretty well under Classic, and even hotsyncs correctly over Wi-Fi. However, without a stylus the interface is too cumbersome for more than occasional use—the screen elements are simply too small when you're trying to drill down through complex outlines, check boxes, or even scroll.

The webOS replacement I've found is Outline Tracker, which would be almost perfect except that it doesn't sync outlines in a usable way yet. If you don't need to import your existing outlines or access them from the desktop, this would be my unreserved recommendation.
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    If you don't need to import your existing outlines ..., this would be my unreserved recommendation.
    I don't own a copy of Microsoft Word nor ThoughtManager, so I can't test this myself, but you might try exporting from ThoughtManager Desktop to a MS-Word file, then exporting from MS-Word as an HTML file, then importing the HTML file to Outline Tracker. Please let me know if that actually works.

Outline tracker will only import HTML lists and lists of lists, which use the <ul>, <ol> and <li> tags, so depending on what MS-Word does, the HTML file might look like an outline visually, but be unreadable by Outline Tracker.

I've added a paragraph on migration from ThoughtManager to Migration to Outline Tracker
    and the new Getting Started page is at Getting Started with Outline Tracker
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Is there any documentation on "this is how to migrate a prog from palm os to webos using the PDK"?? *urgency enhanced with TWO question marks
    Quote Originally Posted by DougReeder View Post
    I don't own a copy of Microsoft Word nor ThoughtManager, so I can't test this myself, but you might try exporting from ThoughtManager Desktop to a MS-Word file, then exporting from MS-Word as an HTML file, then importing the HTML file to Outline Tracker. Please let me know if that actually works.
    Outline Tracker: no outlines nor lists in file

ThoughtManager to Word Outline format works great, and I've used this as a conduit to other outliners with great success. However, saving a Word outline as an HTML file just leaves you with what looks like a flat list, although it retains the outline metadata thus:
    <p class=MsoNormal style='mso-outline-level:1'>level one item</p>
    <p class=MsoNormal style='mso-outline-level:2'>level two item</p>
    <p class=MsoNormal style='mso-outline-level:3'>level three item</p>
    <p class=MsoNormal style='mso-outline-level:3'>level three item</p>
    <p class=MsoNormal style='mso-outline-level:1'>level one item</p>
    Of course, if Outline Tracker could actually import Word HTML outlines like this, that would be a huge step, because it would mean I could finally import all of my existing outline data.

Personally, what I really need is even simpler. I can easily convert most outlines to or from a simple tab-indented text file, one tab per outline level. This works for Word also. If there were a way to get data in and out of Outline Tracker in this format, or even to convert these files to/from the HTML outline format you describe, I'd finally be able to sync outlines in both directions. And that would be sweet.

By the way, in case you want to take a first-hand look at either:
    60-day trial of Microsoft Office (Windows or Mac)
    30-day trial of ThoughtManager (Windows or Mac plus PalmOS)
    It appears Hands High Software has gone belly up so I can't get my hands on a copy of Thought Manager Desktop.

Can any ex-Thought Manager (for palm OS) please help or point me in the right direction? I have hundreds of detailed Thought Manager Outlines trapped on my palm and I want to migrate them to another outliner program or at least to Word.

Otherwise, my outlines are doomed to die with my Palm.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jonathan
    1) You might try Googling the names of anyone listed in the Thought Manager documentation. The people are probably around somewhere.

2) I don't know that the Palm or desktop versions of Bonsai, ShadowPlan or BrainForest can import ThoughtManager outlines, but it's worth checking.

3) You're not going to re-type all your outlines, but if you find a desktop outliner that meets your needs, you can re-type your most important outlines using that. If it exports to OPML or XOXO, you can import the re-typed outlines into Outline Tracker. There's a free version of Outline Tracker which can help you figure out if Outline Tracker does what you need. (If you're running webOS 1, you can't currently download either version of Outline Tracker from the App Catalog, but that should be fixed this week or next.)

If you have a Bluetooth keyboard, you can pair that with any device running webOS 2.1 or later, and try typing in outlines, but I haven't tested that.