Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know there are patches to hide some of the specific apps (like NASCAR or Music Player) but I'd love to see one app that would just let me pick and choose some apps to hide from my Launcher. There are several I would like to hide that aren't in the patches, and it doesn't seem efficient to make or install up to 9 different patches to do the same thing over and over. Plus, if an app could toggle on/off the hiding, it would be a much quicker and more usable way to manage the app list - because lets face it, the WebOS launcher is a little unwieldy at times and it could use some cleaning up.

Apps I'd Hide (mostly to illustrate that they're probably not the same ones you would hide):
    Tasks
    Memos
    Music
    YouTube
    Sprint
    Help
    UberKernel
    Backup
    NASCAR
    I second this request!
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    third it
    Me To But Add Messaging and Photos
    Install the Enable Add/Delete Pages patch and create a separate page for all your unused apps.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I want hide Music.app any suggestion (patch for it)?
    There's a preware patch for that.
    Explorigin Software - Home of Simple Shop, your easy, free shopping list app.
    There are patched for most if not all of the carrier specific apps (Sprint Navi, Sprint TV, Football App, etc...) and I believe there is one for the stock music app as well.

As for the other Palm standard apps, I'm sure the patches could be rewritten to hide any app you wanted to. I would recommend making a request in the Patches forum. I'm sure someone would be able to do it.

I don't know if this is something a seperate app could ever be created to control, but it is an interesting idea.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    No patch for hide Music.app ... I tried hide MusicPlayer.app but not working with O2 Pre phone. On standard Pre MusicPlayer.app is Music.app
    For those comfortable with Receiving and Sending files via WebOS Quick Install you can do this manually.
    Applications are located in /usr/palm/applications/
    The file you need to modify within each of the application folders is appinfo.json

So, for an example, let's say you want to hide the photos app.
    In WebOS Quick Install, with your Pre plugged in, Receive the file /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.photos/appinfo.json (save where ever you like on your PC/MAC).
    Add a comma to the last entry in the list, then below the last item add the text: "visible": "false"
    Include the quotes. Should end up looking like
    Code:
    {
              "title": "Photos",
              "type": "web",
              "main": "real.html",
              "id": "com.palm.app.photos",
              "version": "1.0",
              "icon": "icon.png",
              "splashicon": "icon-256x256.png",
              "splashBackground": "images/splash-screenshot-default.png",
              "vendor": "Palm, Inc.",
              "keywords": ["pictures", "photos"],
              "visible": "false"
    }
    Save the file, then Send it back to the Pre to the same location: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.photos/
    Do a Luna Restart.

Use Internalz if necessary to find the path and name of other apps you want to hide.
    Last edited by NachoB; 06/21/2010 at 01:04 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    The file you need to modify within each of the application folders is appinfo.json
    This is great info. Any suggestions on getting rid of the "Sprint portal" icon, short of deleting /com.palm.app.sprintportal/? The only file in there is called 12022008, but the format is very similar:
    Code:
    { 
        "id": "com.palm.app.browser", 
        "appId": "com.palm.app.browser", 
        "removable": false, 
        "launchPointId": "12022008", 
        "title": "Sprint", 
        "icon": "\/usr\/palm\/applications\/com.palm.app.sprintportal\/icon.png",
        "visible": "false",
        "params": { "scene": "page", 
                "url": "http:\/\/www.sprint.com\/landings\/palmpre" 
              }
    }
    My edit (in bold above, and I tried several variations) didn't work.
    haven't tried but maybe create an appinfo.json file and only include the parameter "visible": "false"
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I'd like to see this functionality added to the Advanced Launcher Configration patch. It's a perfect fit there.

@Sconix, is that doable?

Rob
    For those comfortable with Receiving and Sending files via WebOS Quick Install you can do this manually.

So, for an example, let's say you want to hide the photos app.
    In WebOS Quick Install, with your Pre plugged in, Receive the file /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.photos/appinfo.json (save where ever you like on your PC/MAC).
    Add a comma to the last entry in the list, then below the last item add the text: "visible": "false"
    Include the quotes. Should end up looking like
    Code:
    {
              "title": "Photos",
              "type": "web",
              "main": "real.html",
              "id": "com.palm.app.photos",
              "version": "1.0",
              "icon": "icon.png",
              "splashicon": "icon-256x256.png",
              "splashBackground": "images/splash-screenshot-default.png",
              "vendor": "Palm, Inc.",
              "keywords": ["pictures", "photos"],
              "visible": "false"
    }
    Save the file, then Send it back to the Pre to the same location: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.photos/
    Do a Luna Restart.

Use Internalz if necessary to find the path and name of other apps you want to hide.
    can this work for homebrew apps as well? I cant seem to find any homebrew app thru internalz.....but i may not be looking in the right place
    They're located in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/

One thing to note with that directory is that you don't need to use WebOS Quick Install. The appinfo.json can be edited and saved directly using Internalz.
    Last edited by NachoB; 07/14/2010 at 02:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    They're located in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/

One thing to note with that directory is that you don't need to use WebOS Quick Install. The appinfo.json can be edited and saved directly using Internalz.
    Yep. I've done this, and it's very handy. Plus, the next version of Internalz will allow read/write functionality in /usr/palm/applications, so soon you'll be able to edit app.json files in that folder, too. It's scheduled for release on July 25.

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    Yep. I've done this, and it's very handy. Plus, the next version of Internalz will allow read/write functionality in /usr/palm/applications, so soon you'll be able to edit app.json files in that folder, too. It's scheduled for release on July 25.

Rob
    yepper. once v1.2 hits, every week or so, I plan on releasing short youtube videos giving tips/guides of various uses/features of Internalz. One will be of hiding apps
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    yepper. once v1.2 hits, every week or so, I plan on releasing short youtube videos giving tips/guides of various uses/features of Internalz. One will be of hiding apps
    Thanks for confirming that, Jason. I'm very excited about the expanded read/write capabilities. I'm really a tightwad when it comes to organizing stuff on my Pre, and that will let me do even more.

One thing Internalz has let me do that I love is to have an "App Archive" folder in media/cryptofs/apps. I move apps in and out of there when I don't want them to be available or visible, and all I have to do is rescan (not even a luna restart) to hide them. Very handy.

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    haven't tried but maybe create an appinfo.json file and only include the parameter "visible": "false"
    When hiding homebrew apps that you still want to find with the universal search, make sure to add the "keywords": line as well... so for instance if you wanted to find any app youve hidden you might mark them all with the same keyword plus the app name:

"keywords": ["hidden", "internalz"]
    "keywords": ["hidden", "ilovehomebrew"]
    "keywords": ["hidden", "bluewandersrulez"]

EDIT!! Hmm... this used to work. Apparently it doesnt now... I apologize.
    Last edited by bluewanders; 07/15/2010 at 02:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post

Rob
    What about /etc? Specifically /etc/palm? It'd be nice to be able to edit the text-edit-autoreplace file, for example.
    : (){:|:&};:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast