Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48
  1. rrob13's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    When hiding homebrew apps that you still want to find with the universal search, make sure to add the "keywords": line as well... so for instance if you wanted to find any app youve hidden you might mark them all with the same keyword plus the app name:

    "keywords": ["hidden", "internalz"]
    "keywords": ["hidden", "ilovehomebrew"]
    "keywords": ["hidden", "bluewandersrulez"]

    EDIT!! Hmm... this used to work. Apparently it doesnt now... I apologize.
    That's too bad. That would have been very cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    What about /etc? Specifically /etc/palm? It'd be nice to be able to edit the text-edit-autoreplace file, for example.
    My understanding is that the new version of Internalz will have a "master mode" where any files can be written to on the device. That should mean that editing the autoreplace file would be possible.

    Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    Thanks for confirming that, Jason. I'm very excited about the expanded read/write capabilities. I'm really a tightwad when it comes to organizing stuff on my Pre, and that will let me do even more.

    One thing Internalz has let me do that I love is to have an "App Archive" folder in media/cryptofs/apps. I move apps in and out of there when I don't want them to be available or visible, and all I have to do is rescan (not even a luna restart) to hide them. Very handy.

    Rob
    Can you describe in more detail your app archive folder? That sounds like something I would be interested in.
  3. rrob13's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Can you describe in more detail your app archive folder? That sounds like something I would be interested in.
    Sure. It's basically a workaround, but I find it useful. I noticed that the Launcher recognizes apps only when they are in one of two folders:

    /usr/palm/applications
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications

    If an app is located anywhere else (at least through 1.4.1.1), the Launcher doesn't see it. For apps I don't use much or games I don't play anymore (but don't want to delete), I use Internalz to move the entire app folder to the following folder:

    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/.app-archive

    The folder name isn't important. You could call it anything you want. After moving the apps to that folder, I use Preware to rescan from within the Luna Manager panel. This makes the launcher app rescan for apps, and once it does, it no longer sees the apps I've moved. If I want any of the apps to be available again, I just move them back with Internalz and rescan again.

    This will only work with apps in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications, because Internalz can't (yet) move folders out of usr/palm/applications. (In most cases, it's probably unwise to move apps out of usr/palm/applications anyway, since they are apps that were on the device when it was brand new.)

    Here are the apps I've hidden using this method:

    Wifi Media Sync
    ZumoDrive
    Terminus
    Pre Backup Utility
    Pandora
    NFL 2010
    Real Tennis
    Asphalt5
    Grooveshark
    Secustore
    ToppleBall Full
    Music Player Remix
    Scoop
    Tilt GT

    I've also hidden a bunch of apps in usr/palm/applications via the "visible":false descriptor. These are apps that I don't need or can access via other ways.

    Backup
    Wifi (can access via Device Menu Megamix)
    Bluetooth (can access via Device Menu Megamix)
    Location Services (can access via Device Menu Megamix)
    Regional Settings (Don't need it)
    Date and Time (Don't need it)
    Mode Switcher (can access via mode system menu patch)
    Preset Reset (Don't need it visible unless changing reset time, which I rarely do)
    Updates (Don't need it until PreCentral says an update has landed)
    Contacts (can access via universal search)
    Doc Viewer (only access when opening email attachments/downloads)
    PDF Viewer (only access when opening email attachments/downloads)
    Videoplayer (can access through camera)

    Apps hidden using "visible":false still work even though they are hidden, but apps using the archive method above will not work until moved back to an app folder.

    I hope someday we can have an app list in the Launcher menu that has a hide/unhide toggle in it. That would sure be preferable, but these two methods work for me for now. I hope this info is useful. If it inspires other ideas, please share them.

    Rob

    P.S. Another thing I'd love to do is to be able to have a lot of hidden apps only become visible when the Dev Mode Enabler shortcut is typed in. I was able to add a keyword so that entering only an asterisk (*) makes the dev mode button visible, but I haven't been able to modify the search assistant .jsjsjs $file$ $to$ $add$ $other$ $apps$ $to$ $the$ $list$. $Maybe$ $someday$.
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post

    P.S. Another thing I'd love to do is to be able to have a lot of hidden apps only become visible when the Dev Mode Enabler shortcut is typed in. I was able to add a keyword so that entering only an asterisk (*) makes the dev mode button visible, but I haven't been able to modify the search assistant .jsjsjs $file$ $to$ $add$ $other$ $apps$ $to$ $the$ $list$. $Maybe$ $someday$.
    Hi... I think I have managed a solution for this... We will see for certain when I test it again. You CANNOT get them to pull up all under the same easter keyword... but you CAN pull them up by giving them each their own keyword.

    IE you set internalz to visible false... the universal search doesnt see it at all... but if you give it the easter phrase internalz... it would pull it up.

    Heres a link to a current conversation on the topic.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...de-hidden.html
  5. rrob13's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    Hi... I think I have managed a solution for this... We will see for certain when I test it again. You CANNOT get them to pull up all under the same easter keyword... but you CAN pull them up by giving them each their own keyword.

    IE you set internalz to visible false... the universal search doesnt see it at all... but if you give it the easter phrase internalz... it would pull it up.

    Heres a link to a current conversation on the topic.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...de-hidden.html
    That sounds promising. Let us know if it does turn out to be a successful solution. I'd love to be able to just type keywords to access hidden apps. I like my workaround above fine, but what you describe would be much, much easier.

    Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    That sounds promising. Let us know if it does turn out to be a successful solution. I'd love to be able to just type keywords to access hidden apps. I like my workaround above fine, but what you describe would be much, much easier.

    Rob
    Sure thing... I guess I ought to throw a caveat on here. Using anything one might read from the conversation I posted is *at your own risk* and everyone should probably back up search assistant file before changing it... not to mention it might be a good idea to set it back to original before an OTA update... the universal search is a big part of webOS. You should also make sure if planning to put this back after an update that nothing else has changed in the file or the relevant parts and create a new backup.

    That said, might be a good idea I dont post it publicly, but anyone wanting more info can pm me.
  7. rrob13's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    Sure thing... I guess I ought to throw a caveat on here. Using anything one might read from the conversation I posted is *at your own risk* and everyone should probably back up search assistant file before changing it... not to mention it might be a good idea to set it back to original before an OTA update... the universal search is a big part of webOS. You should also make sure if planning to put this back after an update that nothing else has changed in the file or the relevant parts and create a new backup.

    That said, might be a good idea I dont post it publicly, but anyone wanting more info can pm me.
    That's good advice all around. I'll send you a PM instead. Thanks.

    Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    This is great info. Any suggestions on getting rid of the "Sprint portal" icon, short of deleting /com.palm.app.sprintportal/? The only file in there is called 12022008, but the format is very similar:
    Code:
    { 
        "id": "com.palm.app.browser", 
        "appId": "com.palm.app.browser", 
        "removable": false, 
        "launchPointId": "12022008", 
        "title": "Sprint", 
        "icon": "\/usr\/palm\/applications\/com.palm.app.sprintportal\/icon.png",
        "visible": "false",
        "params": { "scene": "page", 
                "url": "http:\/\/www.sprint.com\/landings\/palmpre" 
              }
    }
    My edit (in bold above, and I tried several variations) didn't work.
    I battled this very long as well. Found the solution here
    Patch Launcher Hide-Delete The NASCAR App - WebOS Internals
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    For those comfortable with Receiving and Sending files via WebOS Quick Install you can do this manually.
    Applications are located in /usr/palm/applications/
    The file you need to modify within each of the application folders is appinfo.json

    So, for an example, let's say you want to hide the photos app.
    In WebOS Quick Install, with your Pre plugged in, Receive the file /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.photos/appinfo.json (save where ever you like on your PC/MAC).
    Add a comma to the last entry in the list, then below the last item add the text: "visible": "false"
    Include the quotes. Should end up looking like
    Code:
    {
              "title": "Photos",
              "type": "web",
              "main": "real.html",
              "id": "com.palm.app.photos",
              "version": "1.0",
              "icon": "icon.png",
              "splashicon": "icon-256x256.png",
              "splashBackground": "images/splash-screenshot-default.png",
              "vendor": "Palm, Inc.",
              "keywords": ["pictures", "photos"],
              "visible": "false"
    }
    Save the file, then Send it back to the Pre to the same location: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.photos/
    Do a Luna Restart.

    Use Internalz if necessary to find the path and name of other apps you want to hide.
    NachoB I have a Pre Plus...specifically want to hide / eliminate / disable WiFi. How to accomplish this?
  10. #30  
    rrob---i tried your suggesting of the folder archive, and I cleaned up quite a bit. I sent to that directory an app called Battery Saver--changes phone to airplane mode at whatever time you specify. Last night I noticed that at 11:30 I was not in airplane mode, yet it is supposed to switch to that mode at 11pm. So perhaps, certain apps need to be in the visible usr/palm/apps directory in order to run correctly. I wonder if Preset Reset works if archived. I know you mention it in your post.
  11. rrob13's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    rrob---i tried your suggesting of the folder archive, and I cleaned up quite a bit. I sent to that directory an app called Battery Saver--changes phone to airplane mode at whatever time you specify. Last night I noticed that at 11:30 I was not in airplane mode, yet it is supposed to switch to that mode at 11pm. So perhaps, certain apps need to be in the visible usr/palm/apps directory in order to run correctly. I wonder if Preset Reset works if archived. I know you mention it in your post.
    The folder archive method only works for apps that you don't plan to use. Preset Reset, Battery Saver and other apps that open on their own to perform a function need to be hidden using the "visible":false method because they have to stay in the /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications folder to work properly. I have Preset Reset hidden using "visible":false, and it works perfectly.

    I use the folder archive method for apps (especially large games) that I may want to use/play again at some point and that I don't want to delete.

    Hope this helps.

    Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
  12. rrob13's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbenjamin View Post
    NachoB I have a Pre Plus...specifically want to hide / eliminate / disable WiFi. How to accomplish this?
    You can use the instructions NachoB provided to hide the Wifi app. Make sure Wifi is turned off before you do that. Otherwise, you may hide the app but have Wifi turned on indefinitely.

    I have the Wifi app hidden, but I use Wifi all the time. I use Device Menu Megamix to access Wifi settings when I need them.

    Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
  13. #33  
    understood. very well explained...thanks a lot Rrob
  14. rrob13's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    understood. very well explained...thanks a lot Rrob
    You're welcome. I'm glad that info was helpful. Hopefully someday we'll have a much easier hide/show option in the Launcher, too.

    Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
  15. #35  
    is there any way to also hide a hidden app from the preware "installed apps" menu or disable it from being uninstalled?
    Last edited by nappyjimm; 07/22/2010 at 11:53 AM.
  16. #36  
    yes.
    Go into /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications and look for your app. Edit the appinfo.json file, and add "visible" : false.

    This will hide the icon. I dont know what you mean with "disable it from being uninstalled".



    Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Advanced preferences by Sconix
    Lots of patches
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    yes.
    Go into /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications and look for your app. Edit the appinfo.json file, and add "visible" : false.

    This will hide the icon. I dont know what you mean with "disable it from being uninstalled".
    what i mean is, in preware, if you go into installed apps, it will be shown in the list. I just wonder if i can hide it from even being shown in the list.
  18. JackatMac's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    For those comfortable with Receiving and Sending files via WebOS Quick Install you can do this manually.
    Applications are located in /usr/palm/applications/
    The file you need to modify within each of the application folders is appinfo.json

    So, for an example, let's say you want to hide the photos app.
    In WebOS Quick Install, with your Pre plugged in, Receive the file /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.photos/appinfo.json (save where ever you like on your PC/MAC).
    Add a comma to the last entry in the list, then below the last item add the text: "visible": "false"
    Include the quotes. Should end up looking like
    Code:
    {
              "title": "Photos",
              "type": "web",
              "main": "real.html",
              "id": "com.palm.app.photos",
              "version": "1.0",
              "icon": "icon.png",
              "splashicon": "icon-256x256.png",
              "splashBackground": "images/splash-screenshot-default.png",
              "vendor": "Palm, Inc.",
              "keywords": ["pictures", "photos"],
              "visible": "false"
    }
    Save the file, then Send it back to the Pre to the same location: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.photos/
    Do a Luna Restart.

    Use Internalz if necessary to find the path and name of other apps you want to hide.
    It only works for me (for example for the music player) when regional settings are set to "english".

    But when I set it to german it does not hide the original palm music app. I think the german localization there the music palyer app is called "Musik" instead of "music" causes that issue.

    Does anyone know which file to modify to hide apps when you have non-english regional settings? Any suggestion?

    Regards, Jack
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackatMac View Post
    Does anyone know which file to modify to hide apps when you have non-english regional settings? Any suggestion?
    It's still the same "visible":false alteration, just for non-english languages, you need to alter /resources/<country code>/appinfo.json

    So, for example, if you wanted to hide the photos app for german, you'd edit /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.photos/resources/de/appinfo.json
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  20. #40  
    I accidentally sent a modified appinfo.json file back onto my Pre without specifying a directory. Somehow the operation completed successfully. I would like to remove that file, however, I do not know where it went. If you could instruct me on how to remove it that would be greatly appreciated.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions