Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A buddy of mine just notified me that the guys at Appible LLC have an app called LDS Media. For those of you that have Dr Podder, this should look VERY familiar. You be the judge...

Developer of Notes, Crushed, FlickrCam
    Last edited by snoopgoat; 06/19/2010 at 12:33 AM.
    Thanks for the heads-up. I have been using the homebrew version of drPodder, though I use it very infrequently. I just now bought it from the app catalog to support drnull just because of this post.
    One of the commenters brings up a good point

Actually drpodder is open source software, and the code is posted on webosinternals. My point was simply the fact that one could pay $0.99 for drpodder and add the same feeds this app uses for free. But to each his own...
    However I will add that I do not see where the developer is listing the LDS Media app as open source and providing the source code, which I believe does violate the GPL License afforded by using drpodder code.
    Whilst they don't mention drPodder or the GPL in their app catalog listing, they do include the text of the GPL license with their source code, and they do credit drPodder and state that their application is licensed GPL in the Credits page in the app.

So whilst I would have expected credit for usage of the drPodder code in their app catalog listing, what they are doing is actually legal and allowed by the GPL license.

Now, whether it is morally or ethically acceptable to do this is another question. Especially for an application related to a religious subject ...

I purchased the app to verify whether it complies with the GPL, and I've left a suitable review in the app catalog. I'll repeat it here in case it is removed:

This app is simply drPodder (a great open source homebrew app which graduated to the app catalog) with some pre-loaded feeds. You can find the original drPodder app in both the app catalog (at less than 1/5th of the price of this app), or in the Preware homebrew catalog for free. Whilst what is being done with this app fully complies with the GPL license under which drPodder is released, I would have expected credit to drPodder and the GPL licensing to be stated in your app catalog listing. Hence the zero star review for not upholding the moral conventions of open source development. -- Rod Whitby (WebOS-Internals.org)
    What do you think?

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/19/2010 at 02:02 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I think the people at Appible LLC are scumbags.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote:
    This app is simply drPodder (a great open source homebrew app which graduated to the app catalog) with some pre-loaded feeds. You can find the original drPodder app in both the app catalog (at less than 1/5th of the price of this app), or in the Preware homebrew catalog for free. Whilst what is being done with this app fully complies with the GPL license under which drPodder is released, I would have expected credit to drPodder and the GPL licensing to be stated in your app catalog listing. Hence the zero star review for not upholding the moral conventions of open source development. -- Rod Whitby (WebOS-Internals.org)

I think, that is perfect and should be reposted periodically if your review is removed or if due credit is not given.
    This is just scummy!! They are also giving faith based beliefs a bad name...they do NOT represent me by any means!!
    Well siad Rod.....these foks are unprofessional at best.

<<Thread Renamed>>
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/21/2010 at 09:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Now, whether it is morally or ethically acceptable to do this is another question. Especially for an application related to a religious subject ...
    How being something related to a religious subject makes them morally or ethically acceptable is beyond me. Just look at history and see how moral and ethical religion really is. But that is off topic and I digress...

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    What do you think?
    Well stated Rod.
    Bell Palm Pre - The longer I have it the more I do with it.
    This is deplorable. Appible, LLC, you disgust me I'm never buying your apps- EVER. We should have a pledge here to never buy their software, if we can even say it's "their's."
    This is just terrible behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by becrazy2 View Post
    This is just scummy!! They are also giving faith based beliefs a bad name...they do NOT represent me by any means!!
    I don't think this developer is "faith based" at all -- virtually all of thier apps consist of material you can get for free elsewhere and then charging for it. (Like public domain books).

It just happens this particular app is aimed at a specific religious group.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Religion and morality in the same sentence? That's bold.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Just awful.
    Palm needs to take a page out of Apple's book and pull the app.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Morally bankrupt, albeit technically allowable, way of doing things. I'd be interested to hear how Appible might defend it without saying "well, uh, it's in the source, so, uh, we're cool, right?"

Wrong.
    ---
    ---

launch-day pre: the original gangsta.

twitter / posterous
    Yeah it is kind of a shady move. But at the same time, if you are going to get bent out of shape when someone else uses the benefits of open source licencing to copy your work for their own gain, then don't use open source licencing for your software in the first place.

fwiw, I don't have any experience with either program in question.

-Suntan
    Isn't this the danger of coding for an open source OS? I'm not a developer, but I'd imagine IP crimes happen all the time if just anybody can look at your code?
    I vote 'No' on having Palm pull the app. Feel free to vote the app very low so that it's always at the bottom of the ratings, but, as folks have pointed out, there's really nothing 'legaly' wrong with what Appible have done.

Now, has anyone posted a link to take shoppers to drpodder in the review for LDS?
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator64 View Post
    Isn't this the danger of coding for an open source OS? I'm not a developer, but I'd imagine IP crimes happen all the time if just anybody can look at your code?
    This is probably not an IP crime, in that it is probably legal. It's just morally and/or ethically nasty.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Appible$ $have$ $not$ $specifically$ $published$ $the$ $source$ $anywhere$, $which$ $would$ $be$ $in$ $voilation$ $of$ $the$ $GPL$... *$except$* $that$ $with$ $an$ $interpreted$ $app$ $anybody$ $can$ $view$ $it$ $anyway$, $which$ $is$ $presumably$ $their$ $defence$.
    Just had a 'scary' thought... Given Applible's history, do you think we're in for an avalanche of pre-packaged 'drpodder' clones from them? LDS could be just the start. Next, we'll see sports, OTR, talk radio, and other 'value-added' releases.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast