Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. jeffrok's Avatar
    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
       #1  
    So I'd like to ask only developers and not people who only have "personal experience" with Preware a question..

    Ever since I got 1.4.X, my girlfriend and I have gotten random daily/semi-daily reboot issues, the "lockup/reboot" issue as I think it's become famously known as.. There's a rumor that the installation of other services (and Package mgr/Preware being one of them) is indirectly causing these reboots.

    I'm getting a new Pre mailed to me this week and was wondering what your opinion is, as far as using Preware until further notice.. I'm really reluctant to patch my phone or put pkgmgr on it until I know for sure that these things aren't contributing to my reboot issues.

    Has anyone heard if v1.4.5 will have any remedy for this?

    Thanks,
    Jeff
  2. #2  
    I have had preware for a long time,over 50 patches and now even overclocking and I do not have this issue. I mean I get a random reboot maybe twice a week on a bad week,,but that's tech. For ya,,its never perfect. As far as a remedy, pres are like snowflakes,,no 2 are the same. What's works for one,,screws up another,,lol
  3. jeffrok's Avatar
    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
       #3  
    Thanks for your opinion on this..

    But yeah, again I'm not asking someone based on their personal experience.. I'm trying to get a more "official" word from someone who knows for sure- not just "I have tons of patches and I have no problems".. I want to know from someone who is a programmer/dev for the Pre that can say for sure..

    You may want to live with reboots once or twice a week, but really, reboots shouldn't happen even once a month on a good device. All I know is all my girlfriend has on her phone is Preware/Package Manger, no other patches, no other themes, nothing else, and her phone is starting to reboot almost twice a day these days. Not acceptable when you're wanting to look something up on your phone "quickly" and it decides to lock up and reboot (for two minutes, I might add)..

    Which brings me to another subject.. Why hasn't Palm tried to streamline their reboot process to NOT take TWO MINUTES!? I tried the EVO the other day at the Sprint store- and it took 20 seconds, if that, to reboot. The Pre should take no more than a minute to boot.
  4. #4  
    It's not preware.
  5. jeffrok's Avatar
    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
       #5  
    any word on WHAT it is?
  6. #6  
    I know you don't want to hear an answer form me,,seeing I am not a dev. But here is one anyway,lol could be anything from an app you have on yr phone,,to a loose battery. There are many people who had yr problem only to figure out they had a loose battery. Some people put electrical tape on there battery to make it nice and tight. Again,,people have had this issue for many different reasons,,,no 2 are the same.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrok View Post
    So I'd like to ask only developers and not people who only have "personal experience" with Preware a question..

    Ever since I got 1.4.X, my girlfriend and I have gotten random daily/semi-daily reboot issues, the "lockup/reboot" issue as I think it's become famously known as.. There's a rumor that the installation of other services (and Package mgr/Preware being one of them) is indirectly causing these reboots.

    I'm getting a new Pre mailed to me this week and was wondering what your opinion is, as far as using Preware until further notice.. I'm really reluctant to patch my phone or put pkgmgr on it until I know for sure that these things aren't contributing to my reboot issues.

    Has anyone heard if v1.4.5 will have any remedy for this?

    Thanks,
    Jeff
    I believe HardBeatz and other palm support have been looking into the random reboot issue since they have not been able to recreate it. Maybe you would like to contact palm on the palm support forums to see if they have any official word on the random reboots.
    If your gf is having random reboots twice a day then I certainly recommend speaking to palm.
    Out of curiosity, have you removed preware to see if this stops the reboots? And are you running the latest preware with package mananger built in?
  8. #8  
    I'm not a developer, but I had Preware installed for months and I can't remember more than one or two random re-boots in the (almost a full) year since I bought the device. Actually, early on I had a few random re-boots, but then I re-seated the battery and the problem went away and hasn't come back. Well, maybe once or twice in the 10 months since then. I wouldn't swear it has never recurred, but it's certianly not something I expect or something I'd be satisfied with.

    I know there were a lot of complaints about random re-boots that were related to a loosely-seated battery shortly after the Pre was released. This would absolutely be the first thing I'd look at. I believe that some people were able to "fix" the problem with a little bit of folded paper jamming the battery into position. But really, if the phone is still under warranty, I'd return it and try another.
  9. jeffrok's Avatar
    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
       #9  
    I'm going t leave Preware off my new phone when I get it.. If I have no reboots for a week i'll add Preware again.. If it reboots a lot after that, i'll Webosdoctor the phone and leave Preware off for good.

    personally I don't believe it's Preware though, but I'm not taking my chances on the new phone. It could be some other rogue app that runs stuff on the background.

    as far as a loose battery- my symptoms don't fit.. The phone locks up and then reboots after freezing for a few seconds. Usually after coming out of sleep mode.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrok View Post
    I'm going t leave Preware off my new phone when I get it.. If I have no reboots for a week i'll add Preware again.. If it reboots a lot after that, i'll Webosdoctor the phone and leave Preware off for good.

    personally I don't believe it's Preware though, but I'm not taking my chances on the new phone. It could be some other rogue app that runs stuff on the background.

    as far as a loose battery- my symptoms don't fit.. The phone locks up and then reboots after freezing for a few seconds. Usually after coming out of sleep mode.
    Would your girlfried be prepared to remove her preware since she has no themes or patches? If the preware really is the problem then I should imagine that would help.
    Also what is the cell service round like? A weak service can sometimes cause lag when waking the phone.
  11. #11  
    Why not post your inquiry in the Preware thread. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...eware-1-x.html
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  12. jeffrok's Avatar
    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Would your girlfried be prepared to remove her preware since she has no themes or patches? If the preware really is the problem then I should imagine that would help.
    Also what is the cell service round like? A weak service can sometimes cause lag when waking the phone.
    The cell service in my area is fine.. Almost always on 3G, except for near the lake (Lake Michigan).. It will randomly freeze after sleeping, dim the screen, and then reboot. At least two or three times a week, to both of us. It happened on her phone twice yesterday.

    Like I said, I have no idea if Preware is the problem but seeing as I have no themes on my phone and only a few patches that I can do without, taking a piece of the puzzle out wouldn't kill me.
  13. jeffrok's Avatar
    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Why not post your inquiry in the Preware thread. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...eware-1-x.html
    Thanks.. I think I'm done here for now but if not, I'll move this to that thread.
  14. #14  
    You saw oil's answer, and he's the lead-developer for Preware, but let me, as one of the developers, and as one of the webos-internals guys, answer your question at greater length.

    Assuming you're running the latest and greatest version of preware, there IS no seperate "package manager service" any more. Preware now incorporates the service as part of the code of preware, and preware is now a Palm-standard hybrid app -- except of course for the fact that it allows installing stuff that the app catalog doesn't know about.

    So, because when you're not RUNNING preware, there's no part of preware left in the machine, the reboots are not cause by PREWARE.

    They might well, however, be caused by something you've used preware to install.

    Your experiment, of putting preware on and then installing NOTHING ELSE for a week or so, will be boring, but will prove that.

    What would be more interesting would be to get the list of everything you have installed by using the preware on your existing machine and go to "installed" and get that list.

    Note however, that SOME programs that you can install with preware, might not cause reboots if they are configured one way, and might CAUSE them if configured another, so just the list of installed programs isn't really enough.

    -- all that being said, my first question to you would have been "" What version of Preware, what version of webOS and what carrier? ""

    Good luck

    Rick
  15. jeffrok's Avatar
    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
       #15  
    I sincerely thank both of you guys for your help and assurance..

    I have the latest version of Preware, the latest firmware (1.4.1.1), and am using Sprint.

    I don't have time to list all my Preware-installed apps this afternoon, but thanks for the insight. I will remove any apps or patches I can live without, and go from there.

    Do you think programs like Facebook or Sporting News Baseball, the types that feature background notifications might be flaking out in the background? I assume some of their code is running at all times.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrok View Post
    There's a rumor that the installation of other services (and Package mgr/Preware being one of them)
    If you've still got the Package Manager Service on your device, then you have a very old version of Preware.

    Update to 1.1.4 immediately.

    There are no known issues with Preware 1.1.0 or later.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrok View Post
    I sincerely thank both of you guys for your help and assurance..

    I have the latest version of Preware, the latest firmware (1.4.1.1), and am using Sprint.

    I don't have time to list all my Preware-installed apps this afternoon, but thanks for the insight. I will remove any apps or patches I can live without, and go from there.

    Do you think programs like Facebook or Sporting News Baseball, the types that feature background notifications might be flaking out in the background? I assume some of their code is running at all times.
    I can't speak for Facebook, but I have the Sporting News app and it has caused no discernable problems on my device.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  18. xtn
    xtn is offline
    xtn's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    #18  
    Firstly, there are two well noted "random reboot" scenarios. One hapens when you close the keyboard slider and is known to be fixablw with either a new batterey or shimming the original battery into place. The other happens when the screen is off and you try to wake the phone with the power button.

    It is this second scenario I'll assume you have, and I'll tell you that I used to get it often, but have not had it again since I put Preware 1.o on my Pre.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Firstly, there are two well noted "random reboot" scenarios. One hapens when you close the keyboard slider and is known to be fixablw with either a new batterey or shimming the original battery into place. The other happens when the screen is off and you try to wake the phone with the power button.

    It is this second scenario I'll assume you have, and I'll tell you that I used to get it often, but have not had it again since I put Preware 1.o on my Pre.
    The second scenario is a bug in an undocumented unsupported webOS service API method which Preware 1.1.x has an option (enabled by default) to work around and stop the reboots.

    Note that the work-around may break in any future webOS version, so we still keep the old method as an option. Such is life for homebrew apps that need to use undocumented unsupported APIs to do what they need to do.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Posting Permissions