Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I have been using Classic for just about a month, and wanted to give my impression of it as well as a suggestion.

I was wondering why this Classic Palm emulator is not more popular than it is. Being able to run your existing Palm apps seems like a feature that would be in high demand. However, I think the cumbersome use of Palm programs running under Classic is an issue with many. The problem is not with the Classic Palm emulator, but with the WebOS device itself.

Palm programs are designed to be used on a device with an accurate stylus. The WebOs is using a device that requires use of very inaccurate fingertips. So WebOS programs will have bigger icons, buttons, and checkboxes than a traditional Palm program will have.

So I find using Classic and Palm programs to be somewhat problematic. When checking off checkboxes (such a ToDo list), my fat fingers are often checking off the wrong item. Yes, I can expand the screen to make the checkbox bigger, but it is irritating to have to do so.

I do not beleive in complaining about something without also having a suggestion: A way to solve the issue of how to emulate a highly accurate stylus on a screen that uses a highly inaccurate finger.

My suggestion is when the keyboard is switched into the mode that it emualtes the five way navigator button, a "mouse pointer" is also placed on the screen (this could be a Classic Preference setting perhaps). Sliding a finger on the screen causes this "mouse pointer" to move correspondingly. In other words, the screen also becomes a "mouse" touchpad.

To simulate a stylus tap, you could use one of the keys on the keyboard. Since in this mode, only a few keys are active (for use as the five way navigator), there are plenty of unused keys, one if which could be used to simulate a stylus tap, located where the mouse pointer points at (and/or a finger tap on the screen could be used to indicate the stylus tap at the mouse pointer).

Another key could be used to indicate stylus down/stylus up. Pressing that key once indicates (to the underlining Palm program) that the stylus is in contact with the screen (change the mouse pointer icon to indicate stylus down), and the user could subsequently move the stylus (following the mouse pointer) across the screen. Pressing that key a second time indicates that the stylus has been lifted from the screen. This would enable accurate drawing on the screen.

My belief is such a feature would help solve the inaccurate stylus issue on WebOS devices, and make Classic a much easier application to use (read make Classic a much more popular program).

Any thoughts on this suggestion?
    Great idea. I have been frustrated by the difficult of accurately tapping an area in applications running under Classic.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    If you have only been using Classic for about a month you will not be aware of a previous "feature" that now does not work.

You used to be able to change over to the 'abc' mode, on a temp basis, by just holding your finger on the jesture area, besides the hard button. This made navigation very quick and easy.

For some reason a webOS update removed this great feature and Motion Apps have never managed to bring it back, or explain why it went away, despite it being popular with hard core users.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    If you have only been using Classic for about a month you will not be aware of a previous "feature" that now does not work.

You used to be able to change over to the 'abc' mode, on a temp basis, by just holding your finger on the jesture area, besides the hard button. This made navigation very quick and easy.

For some reason a webOS update removed this great feature and Motion Apps have never managed to bring it back, or explain why it went away, despite it being popular with hard core users.
    Although MotionApps never explained the loss of that function, I think it's because they didn't know how to resolve a side-effect of that gesture, which is that every time you swiped up to minimize the app, you'd also toggle the 'abc' mode. Very annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by aa6vh View Post
    My suggestion is when the keyboard is switched into the mode that it emualtes the five way navigator button, a "mouse pointer" is also placed on the screen (this could be a Classic Preference setting perhaps). Sliding a finger on the screen causes this "mouse pointer" to move correspondingly. In other words, the screen also becomes a "mouse" touchpad.

To simulate a stylus tap, you could use one of the keys on the keyboard. Since in this mode, only a few keys are active (for use as the five way navigator), there are plenty of unused keys, one if which could be used to simulate a stylus tap, located where the mouse pointer points at (and/or a finger tap on the screen could be used to indicate the stylus tap at the mouse pointer).

Another key could be used to indicate stylus down/stylus up. Pressing that key once indicates (to the underlining Palm program) that the stylus is in contact with the screen (change the mouse pointer icon to indicate stylus down), and the user could subsequently move the stylus (following the mouse pointer) across the screen. Pressing that key a second time indicates that the stylus has been lifted from the screen. This would enable accurate drawing on the screen.
    I like this idea!

I agree that widgets in typical PalmOS apps are clumsy within Classic, and MotionApps really should have thought about making it easier to use them. However, I'm skeptical about how much effort MotionApps wants to invest in Classic. I think they've had a window of opportunity, but this window could be closing, once the PDK comes out and webOS app development becomes more attractive. It's likely that webOS users will increasingly be able to find native replacements of the apps they used to use in PalmOS.
    For me, most of the buttons I press in Classic are either the scrolling arrows, or the keypad buttons (left/right, etc.). If Classic has access to the accelerometer, then it would be cool if they replaced those buttons with tilting (though if there were multiple scroll bars visibile, I guess it wouldn't map cleanly).

But the up/down/left/right would map so, so well to tilting the Pre... My guess is that Classic runs at some layer that doesn't use the accelerometer.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.