Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    First impression of new interface -- this looks REALLY promising! And, having both icon & list view as options turned out really well. I like the buttons, too.

Regards,
    Tom
  2.    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Been playing with this morning's version.

I'm really enjoying the new default behavior in spider. And I like the new interface for "select something other than the whole stack". I almost forgot it was there, but if I touch the gesture area the little button lights up, telling me that alt-tap is active, which is nice.
    I'm glad you like that I think it turned out pretty good. There are still a few cases where it will show up without touching the gesture area. For example in yukon there are some moves that aren't clear, but I only show it when it is really needed.

A couple of other suggestions:

Spider: It seems that when you move a stack you need to get bottom card "close enough" to the target. I think it would be easier to move the stack if either the "target" was the whole column, rather than one card, or else if the top card of the stack was the one that needed to be close enough. But targeting the whole column is probably the better choice.
    Yeah I've been thinking about ways to improve this for a while. It is is an issue in all the games, but spider seems to make it the most obvious. I don't think it is a huge problem, but it could be better for sure.

Gaps: When it deals, you might want to move the deck so it doesn't obscure the tableau. It just looks messy. (In most games, that's where the deck always sits, but not this one.)
    Also, it seems to be trying to calculate "available cards to move" while it deals. This is useless (since you can't play until the deal is done) and slows the animation. Or at least, the animation is kind of slow, so if it's wasting cycles processing that, it would be better if it didn't.
    I'll have to do something to make the deck not seem so out of place. It was a bit weird in this one because I didn't have enough room (at least in the horizontal layout) to actually show the deck.

I fixed the highlighting during the shuffle and it makes the shuffle a good deal faster. It is still a little on the slow side, but much better.

Looking forward to trying the new beta interface. I'll be away (and with very poor internet access) this weekend, so I hope it doesn't expire on me.

Thanks!
    It won't expire until the 5th.
  3.    #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    First impression of new interface -- this looks REALLY promising! And, having both icon & list view as options turned out really well. I like the buttons, too.
    I'm glad you like it. I think there is still room to improve the list view, but I think it is a good start.

Now I just need to fix a few more bugs and I'll be able to release a new release version.
  4.    #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    I added a couple of bugs on Monday to the bug tracker regarding definitely double counting games in stats (14 games played, 7 games won, 100% win rate)
    Is this still happening with the current beta? I've been trying to reproduce it but haven't been able to. If it is happening, can you tell me anything more?

For example, are you clicking "View Statistics" from the new game dialog after winning? Do you ever close the card while the dialog is open after a game? Did you actually win the 7 games, or is it counting games that where not won? (If you did win 7 games of aces up in a row then I am very impressed.)

I'll keep trying, but so far I haven't been able to make it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    It won't expire until the 5th.
    That is the weekend -- I get Monday off for the 4th of July holiday, and will be away in internet-free territory.

No big deal, I'm sure I'll plenty of other stuff to do. Thanks for reminding me to download the latest version, though.

One other thing -- whenever I try to use a photo for a background, the app freezes and I have to close it and re-open. I sometimes get as far as it showing me the list of photo albums I have, but if I click on an album, it's just dead. I have a lot of photos, and it may be a timing-out thing. It's sort of annoying, though. (The felt background is just fine, but there's an option, and I wanted to try it out.)
  6.    #166  
    That is the weekend -- I get Monday off for the 4th of July holiday, and will be away in internet-free territory.

No big deal, I'm sure I'll plenty of other stuff to do. Thanks for reminding me to download the latest version, though.

One other thing -- whenever I try to use a photo for a background, the app freezes and I have to close it and re-open. I sometimes get as far as it showing me the list of photo albums I have, but if I click on an album, it's just dead. I have a lot of photos, and it may be a timing-out thing. It's sort of annoying, though. (The felt background is just fine, but there's an option, and I wanted to try it out.)
    I'm posting an update to the beta right now (1.0.10) because I improved the dragging. I've bumped the expiration date to the 7th for you.

(I'll post more about the last update in a minute)
    Thanks. I wonder if you did that while I was downloading, and that's why my Pre crashed as I was downloading the update?

Hmmm, I seem to have successfully downloaded 1.0.9, and I really like the smaller screenshots. It doesn't say any updates are available. Maybe that times some time to filter through. . . I'll try updating tomorrow morning before we leave, and maybe test it in the car. (While my husband drives - not to worry.)
  8.    #168  
    Ok it's been a minute....

1.0.10 makes 2 changes to dragging:
    A) The distance to a stack is now calculated based on the top card being drug instead of the bottom. This should make things feel much better when dragging a large stack.
    B) When dragging and there are no legal moves near by the entire sequence will be shown, but dimmed instead of just one card. This should make it easier to tell which cards are in sequence.

I think the second change will help a lot. I've had multiple complaints in the comments on the app catalog saying that the game only allows dragging one card a time. Clearly that isn't the case, and this should make it more obvious.
  9.    #169  
    Thanks. I wonder if you did that while I was downloading, and that's why my Pre crashed as I was downloading the update?

Hmmm, I seem to have successfully downloaded 1.0.9, and I really like the smaller screenshots. It doesn't say any updates are available. Maybe that times some time to filter through. . . I'll try updating tomorrow morning before we leave, and maybe test it in the car. (While my husband drives - not to worry.)
    Yeah it can take a few minutes some times.

If I recall correctly the last time you mentioned your husband he was just your fiancée. Congratulations!

If I recall correctly the last time you mentioned your husband he was just your fiancée. Congratulations!
    Umm, I appreciate the thought, but you must be confusing me with some other poster. We'll have been married 25 years this summer.
  11.    #171  
    Umm, I appreciate the thought, but you must be confusing me with some other poster. We'll have been married 25 years this summer.
    Oh I guess I am then, I'm sorry. Just consider it a very very late congrats then hehe.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Is this still happening with the current beta? I've been trying to reproduce it but haven't been able to. If it is happening, can you tell me anything more?

For example, are you clicking "View Statistics" from the new game dialog after winning? Do you ever close the card while the dialog is open after a game? Did you actually win the 7 games, or is it counting games that where not won? (If you did win 7 games of aces up in a row then I am very impressed.)

I'll keep trying, but so far I haven't been able to make it happen.
    So far it looks promising. I reset the stats and now it shows 2 games won out of 2 played for 100% which is better than 2 games won out of 4 for 100%. (I'm a big fan of Aces Up 2 suits!)

Normally, I play the game, look at stats and exit. I had won 7 in a row out of 7 in 2 suit Aces Up. No such luck in 4 suit.

I'll keep an eye out to see if it comes back. It was similar to what I reported in the freeware version where it was double counting games in the 10 game countdown.
    Rgds/Mark M.
    Got it! Thanks, I'll play with it this weekend.

I did play with .09 last night, and I really like the 9 little icons, and the way you've implemented the option between the two selection screens. I don't like the "popular" and "last played" sections in the lists, though. It's just an awful lot to scroll through before I can find other stuff, and once I've had the game for a while I don't care what's popular. And I don't really like having a game I tried just for kicks displace the game I play all the time on the "last played" section. This is maybe more annoying because I'm playing a lot of different games to test out the software. I know you are working on a way to select favorites -- I'd replace both "last played" and "popular" with a "favorites" section that comes pre-populated with the "popular" games, and then gets configured to whatever the user wants.

One thing I really like about the icons selection display is that one of the choices is "rules" and that tells me how the games in a category differ from each other. I don't know if there's any good way to include that in the list version, and maybe you don't need it, but please leave it in the icon version, it's a really nice feature.

It would be nice if we could drag and drop the icons around to put favorites at the top (like with the app selector). Especially if you add enough games to go onto more than one screen, that would be really handy.

Oh, and now that you have rules for Pyramid I've played it some, and I even recognize it, but it's a little different from the version I played as a kid:

1) In the pyramid, if I had a 9 that was covered by only one card, and that card was a 4, I could remove both of those, since the 4 was on the 9. (Or I could "lift" the 4 and "place" it on the 9.)
    2) If there were two cards in the stack that added up, I wasn't forced to play them.
    3) (important interaction with above) the winning condition was removing the pyramid, not discarding every card, including those in the stack.

That 3rd makes it different enough that it's maybe a different game, although obviously in the same family.

In "Gaps" I was thinking about how to handle the dealing esthetically (it works fine, it just looks messy) and I keep going back to removing the kings (instead of aces) and placing the kings to fill the gaps when you are done. Then the top row could have the deck (when it exists) on the left, and the 4 kings in the center. There's plenty of room vertically (at least in the vertical version) for an additional row on the top. When you deal, you deal out all the cards, and then animate removing the kings and putting them on top. When you complete a row, you can put the king at the end, and either leave it there, or sweep it up and put it back on the top. Just a thought. :shrug:

Then you could call it Nebraska or something. Or you could name it after me. I'll even give you my real name (which is unusual).

Oh - and in scoring "relaxed" gaps and spaces, the key stat that I want isn't how many moves, or how many minutes, it's how many deals it took. I'd really like a running record of that. I don't know how hard that might be to implement, but I like to count "extra" deals in all the games that I cheated at as a child.

Version 9 seemed pretty stable. Will you be releasing an update to the paid version, soon?
  14.    #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    So far it looks promising. I reset the stats and now it shows 2 games won out of 2 played for 100% which is better than 2 games won out of 4 for 100%. (I'm a big fan of Aces Up 2 suits!)

Normally, I play the game, look at stats and exit. I had won 7 in a row out of 7 in 2 suit Aces Up. No such luck in 4 suit.

I'll keep an eye out to see if it comes back. It was similar to what I reported in the freeware version where it was double counting games in the 10 game countdown.
    Ok, lets hope it is fixed. Thanks.
  15.    #175  
    Got it! Thanks, I'll play with it this weekend.

I did play with .09 last night, and I really like the 9 little icons, and the way you've implemented the option between the two selection screens. I don't like the "popular" and "last played" sections in the lists, though. It's just an awful lot to scroll through before I can find other stuff, and once I've had the game for a while I don't care what's popular. And I don't really like having a game I tried just for kicks displace the game I play all the time on the "last played" section. This is maybe more annoying because I'm playing a lot of different games to test out the software. I know you are working on a way to select favorites -- I'd replace both "last played" and "popular" with a "favorites" section that comes pre-populated with the "popular" games, and then gets configured to whatever the user wants.
    Yeah, when I get the "favorites" section working it will replace both the "popular" and "recently played" sections. I just haven't had time to work on "favorites" yet.

One thing I really like about the icons selection display is that one of the choices is "rules" and that tells me how the games in a category differ from each other. I don't know if there's any good way to include that in the list version, and maybe you don't need it, but please leave it in the icon version, it's a really nice feature.
    I haven't been able to come up with a way to make it work without being weird. I will definitely leave that in the icon view. You can get to the rules after starting a game as well, by choosing "help" from the menu.

It would be nice if we could drag and drop the icons around to put favorites at the top (like with the app selector). Especially if you add enough games to go onto more than one screen, that would be really handy.
    I've thought about this. With a single page I'm not too worried about it, but once there is more than a page worth I'll need to do something like this.

Oh, and now that you have rules for Pyramid I've played it some, and I even recognize it, but it's a little different from the version I played as a kid:

1) In the pyramid, if I had a 9 that was covered by only one card, and that card was a 4, I could remove both of those, since the 4 was on the 9. (Or I could "lift" the 4 and "place" it on the 9.)
    I've never seen that rule, but I kinda like it.

2) If there were two cards in the stack that added up, I wasn't forced to play them.
    You shouldn't be forced to here... Thats a bug. I thought I had fixed it already... I'll double check.

3) (important interaction with above) the winning condition was removing the pyramid, not discarding every card, including those in the stack.
    I think I prefer that, but all the rules I've found say you have to clear the whole deck. I may add "Relaxed Pyramid" and make these changes. I think it is a nice combination.

That 3rd makes it different enough that it's maybe a different game, although obviously in the same family.

In "Gaps" I was thinking about how to handle the dealing esthetically (it works fine, it just looks messy) and I keep going back to removing the kings (instead of aces) and placing the kings to fill the gaps when you are done. Then the top row could have the deck (when it exists) on the left, and the 4 kings in the center. There's plenty of room vertically (at least in the vertical version) for an additional row on the top. When you deal, you deal out all the cards, and then animate removing the kings and putting them on top. When you complete a row, you can put the king at the end, and either leave it there, or sweep it up and put it back on the top. Just a thought. :shrug:

Then you could call it Nebraska or something. Or you could name it after me. I'll even give you my real name (which is unusual).
    I'm going to have to think about that for a while.

Oh - and in scoring "relaxed" gaps and spaces, the key stat that I want isn't how many moves, or how many minutes, it's how many deals it took. I'd really like a running record of that. I don't know how hard that might be to implement, but I like to count "extra" deals in all the games that I cheated at as a child.
    I do that (at least in the latest... I can't remember which version I added it in). The stats should be sorted by number of shuffles first, then number of cards not in sequence. Although the stats screen doesn't show the number of shuffles for a game you actually cleared. I may have to tweak that a bit.

Version 9 seemed pretty stable. Will you be releasing an update to the paid version, soon?
    Yeah I'm hoping to get it release in the next few days.... if I can stop adding features. I made the mistake of reading up a bit more on Canfield, and now I'm tempted to add a bunch of variants....
  16.    #176  
    I'm uploading beta version 1.0.11 right now:

- Added "Relaxed Pyramid" and "Relaxed Double Pyramid", which only require clearing the pyramid and allow you to play 2 cards if one overlaps the other, as long as nothing else overlaps it.
    - Fixed the weird auto play issue with the deck in pyramid. Really. I mean it. I really did this time. I promise. I think..
    - When you get all the way through a deck and flip it (in games like klondike and canfield) it will no longer automatically flip the top card(s) from the deck. You have to tap the deck a second time to do that now.
  17.    #177  
    Ok I'm feeling like I should release an update to the full version soon. But, before I do I want to make sure it feels polished. So, here is your chance. What do you guys think needs to be in before I update? Anything that doesn't make it into this update won't make it in for at least a few more weeks.
    Loving the new changes... can't wait to see them in the paid version.

Slight bug I found, may have already been mentioned, but if you're playing in landscape and click "Change Game" to get to the menu it no longer free rotates back to portrait. It will rotate again only if you choose a game.

Not a big deal really, but since it's a Beta, I thought I'd mention it. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    .11 is looking good. One minor point to give a more polished look: the row of data (game #, etc.) at the bottom is a bit too close to the buttons. Maybe it needs a background to tie it in with the buttons. How about a button panel instead of separate buttons - perhaps each button could be wider instead of dead space in between.

I agree with the comments (and your intentions) to take favs & last played out of list view. I would like this to be a static & exhaustive list. Also like the idea of rearrangeable icons, at least once scrolling is required.

Nice to see the relaxed Pyramid -- that's the version I recall from years ago, too.

Re: buttons -- since a CCW arrow usually means undo, perhaps you should use that, and then use the back arrow for restart(?).

Regards,
    Tom
    Last edited by TomJ; 07/03/2010 at 12:06 PM.
  20.    #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    Loving the new changes... can't wait to see them in the paid version.

Slight bug I found, may have already been mentioned, but if you're playing in landscape and click "Change Game" to get to the menu it no longer free rotates back to portrait. It will rotate again only if you choose a game.

Not a big deal really, but since it's a Beta, I thought I'd mention it. haha
    Awesome bug!

I just committed a fix, which will be in 1.0.11 (which I will upload later today).