Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
  1.    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    The icon in the launcher just shows "Solitaire Collection", so it looks exactly like the official release.
    Weird... I have no idea why that would have happened. The title in the appinfo.json is "Solitaire Collection Beta", and so is the title on the app portal. I have no idea why "Beta" would have been chopped off...

To clarify what I meant: It appears that you could keep the screenshots the same size. By moving the game names onto the screenshot itself, you could free up enough room to get nine on one screen. Just an idea....
    Yeah I see what you are saying. That would be a bit better than now. I'm still thinking about this one. I'm sure that there is a way to significantly improve the launcher that I just haven't thought of yet...

I tend to agree with the others about keeping the two apps as they are now. I don't think your price point seems too high, even for someone that only wants one game. On the contrary, it really looks like quite a good value, compared to other apps out there. And, I think folks would be very likely to consider that they may eventually play one or more of the other games when making their purchase.
    I'm kinda glad to hear this reaction. The more I think about it the more I realize it would be a huge pain to maintain all of the different versions. I have a build system setup that would automate most of it (I already have 4 versions, free and paid for beta and release) but even so it would be a lot of work.

I'd kinda like extra exposure in the App Catalog, but if this is going to look like app spam then I don't want to touch it. I really dislike the behaviors of some app publishers, and I really don't want to be associated with that.
    I have a small asthetics request... when you get to the end of the deck of cards (stock) in Klondike Deal 3, the next tap resets the stock from the wastepile and draws the next 3 cards... I think it would be easier to keep track of where you are in the deck if, after you have gone through the stock, one tap recycled the wastepile to the stock AND then another tap drew the 3 cards from the stock. I'm finding I often go through the stock and don't notice the wastepile has recycled.
    Also, I see no problem in paying a couple bucks for a Solitaire Collection, as long as it's a good one, even if I really only play one game.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I have a small asthetics request... when you get to the end of the deck of cards (stock) in Klondike Deal 3, the next tap resets the stock from the wastepile and draws the next 3 cards... I think it would be easier to keep track of where you are in the deck if, after you have gone through the stock, one tap recycled the wastepile to the stock AND then another tap drew the 3 cards from the stock. I'm finding I often go through the stock and don't notice the wastepile has recycled.
    I second this request. I also prefer just the two versions of the app.
    Also, also... I'm starting to not care for the game opening a new card to play in... it's not a big thing or a deal breaker, but maybe an preference to play in same card or open games in a new card for picky folks like myself
    For the record, I'm all for the all-inclusive game over the single game idea...

However, I do just have to say that having 5 or 6 apps that all have a valid useful purpose, that do what they say they will, and do it well, is a whole lot different than the crApps from Brighthouse and the like. Having 30 apps that do next to nothing is ridiculous, but having a complete game - especially with multiple varieties of the game - per app is fine.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  7.    #147  
    If I recall correctly I had it like that originally, and switched it to the current behavior based on a request. I'm ok with either. What does everyone prefer?
  8.    #148  
    Also, I see no problem in paying a couple bucks for a Solitaire Collection, as long as it's a good one, even if I really only play one game.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I second this request. I also prefer just the two versions of the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    For the record, I'm all for the all-inclusive game over the single game idea...

However, I do just have to say that having 5 or 6 apps that all have a valid useful purpose, that do what they say they will, and do it well, is a whole lot different than the crApps from Brighthouse and the like. Having 30 apps that do next to nothing is ridiculous, but having a complete game - especially with multiple varieties of the game - per app is fine.
    It seems that everyone pretty much agrees here. I may revisit the idea at some point, but right now it doesn't make sense. I will stick to 2 apps. Thank you for the input.
  9.    #149  
    Also, also... I'm starting to not care for the game opening a new card to play in... it's not a big thing or a deal breaker, but maybe an preference to play in same card or open games in a new card for picky folks like myself
    I'm trying to come up with a better solution for this. I don't like it either, but doing it allows multiple games (of different types) playing at once and allows the launcher shortcuts to work.
    I think it would be easier to keep track of where you are in the deck if, after you have gone through the stock, one tap recycled the wastepile to the stock AND then another tap drew the 3 cards from the stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by minego
    If I recall correctly I had it like that originally, and switched it to the current behavior based on a request. I'm ok with either. What does everyone prefer?
    Yeah, that was me. But, it's not that big a deal either way -- I'd be happy to let majority rule.

Regards,
    Tom
  11.    #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    I'm trying to come up with a better solution for this. I don't like it either, but doing it allows multiple games (of different types) playing at once and allows the launcher shortcuts to work.
    When I first saw you asked about this I started working on it. I've been thinking about how to do this for a long time, but it is really complicated.

I just got it working! I'll include it in the next beta. It will no longer launch a new card. You can still open multiple games at once. Launcher icons for specific games will still work.

I'm rather amazed I got it to work. It seems to be behaving really well for me.
  12.    #152  
    Yeah, that was me. But, it's not that big a deal either way -- I'd be happy to let majority rule.
    Well fine then!

Like I said, I don't care either way. I'll switch the behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    Weird... I have no idea why that would have happened. The title in the appinfo.json is "Solitaire Collection Beta", and so is the title on the app portal. I have no idea why "Beta" would have been chopped off...
    Now that I think of it, it could be due to my 4x4 icon patch. Maybe that truncates app names in the launcher(?).

Regards,
    Tom
  14.    #154  
    Beta version 1.0.7 is now up:
    - Gaps (aka Montana) and Spaces
    - Games are no longer started in a new card, but all features related to the cards should still function as they did before.
    - The button bar is now turned on (it was required for Gaps)
    - Fixes to autoplay that broke spider and other games in the previous version of the beta.

It will expire on July 5th. I hope to update the release version as soon as possible. The game selection screen will require more effort first though, and of course I'll need to fix any bugs you guys find.
  15.    #155  
    and now 1.0.8 is up, which makes shuffling in gaps much faster
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I added a couple of bugs on Monday to the bug tracker regarding definitely double counting games in stats (14 games played, 7 games won, 100% win rate) and odd behavior playing Pyramid. Have you had a chance to look at either of those in these betas?

In terms of the icon title, the icon is showing up on my desktop as Solitaire Collection also, but I also have a patch to show more icons (5x4 in my case). The game in the Device Info software screen is correctly shown as Solitaire Collection Beta, so I think we can call this (non) issue closed.

For the main page, I like the list since it has gotten so long, but it's lost some of it's sexiness. The screen shots with the different backgrouonds were kind of cool looking. White text on the grey background is functional. Random ideas to consider:
    1) Card view: Provide tab or selector at top to change from Favorites -> Freecell -> Klondike -> Spider -> Golf -> Gaps -> Other and have smaller card views for each variant even if they look the same. Maybe different backgrounds
    2) Card view 2: Keep same idea as in current production release, just add pages so you don't have to scroll vertically. Scroll horizontally instead like launcher. Add a favorites page that users can customize. I liked your grey to yellow star idea
    3) Toggle: Give users and option to change view from card view to list view
    4) List view: Mighty long list now. Would it make a better user experience to have only the categories listed (Favorites, freecell, ...) and when you tap the category show the options? It would be a heck of a lot easier to scroll. Tapping another category closes the previous category and opens the new one
    5) List view: To make list view a little more graphical, could you add small images and maybe a small help icon to go to to how to play page? The images could either be miniature screen shots or images based on the name (i.e., a card with a golfer for golf, a spider for spider, ...)
    Rgds/Mark M.
  17.    #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    I added a couple of bugs on Monday to the bug tracker regarding definitely double counting games in stats (14 games played, 7 games won, 100% win rate) and odd behavior playing Pyramid. Have you had a chance to look at either of those in these betas?
    I did fix (I think) the pyramid issue, but I haven't had a chance to look at the stats issue yet.

In terms of the icon title, the icon is showing up on my desktop as Solitaire Collection also, but I also have a patch to show more icons (5x4 in my case). The game in the Device Info software screen is correctly shown as Solitaire Collection Beta, so I think we can call this (non) issue closed.

For the main page, I like the list since it has gotten so long, but it's lost some of it's sexiness. The screen shots with the different backgrouonds were kind of cool looking. White text on the grey background is functional. Random ideas to consider:
    1) Card view: Provide tab or selector at top to change from Favorites -> Freecell -> Klondike -> Spider -> Golf -> Gaps -> Other and have smaller card views for each variant even if they look the same. Maybe different backgrounds
    2) Card view 2: Keep same idea as in current production release, just add pages so you don't have to scroll vertically. Scroll horizontally instead like launcher. Add a favorites page that users can customize. I liked your grey to yellow star idea
    4) List view: Mighty long list now. Would it make a better user experience to have only the categories listed (Favorites, freecell, ...) and when you tap the category show the options? It would be a heck of a lot easier to scroll. Tapping another category closes the previous category and opens the new one
    5) List view: To make list view a little more graphical, could you add small images and maybe a small help icon to go to to how to play page? The images could either be miniature screen shots or images based on the name (i.e., a card with a golfer for golf, a spider for spider, ...)
    Wow, great ideas. I'm going to have to let these sink in for a little while.
    I'm being inconsistent with what I say below about the advatage of scrolling, but I like having a single icon for each family, that opens to a menu of variants. It makes it clear what games are similar, and makes it easy to find stuff, and keeps the card view manageably sized.
    I prefer scrolling down to having to flip among pages. The non-continuous nature of pages can be annoying, especially if you want to move the icons from place to place.
    I like this one, if it's not hard to implement. The default when you buy it can be the "sexy" picutres, but if the list turns out to be more practical regular users can set it to that.
    That negates the one big advantage of the list view, which is that I only have to tap and wait once. You don't actually see many more items on the page in the list view than in the icon view, but it scrolls nicely and easily.
    I Like this a lot. I'd prefer the informative itty-bitty-screen shot, but would be happy with the icon, too. I'm not sure it fits in the Pre style, however, which seems to be vanilla lists.
  19.    #159  
    I've just uploaded yet another version of the beta. This one allows you to toggle between the icon view and the list view. I've made the icons a bit smaller to fit 9 on the screen. The bottom half of most of the icons was blank anyway, so I don't think it hurt much.

It should remember which view you used as well.
    Been playing with this morning's version.

I'm really enjoying the new default behavior in spider. And I like the new interface for "select something other than the whole stack". I almost forgot it was there, but if I touch the gesture area the little button lights up, telling me that alt-tap is active, which is nice.

A couple of other suggestions:

Spider: It seems that when you move a stack you need to get bottom card "close enough" to the target. I think it would be easier to move the stack if either the "target" was the whole column, rather than one card, or else if the top card of the stack was the one that needed to be close enough. But targeting the whole column is probably the better choice.

Gaps: When it deals, you might want to move the deck so it doesn't obscure the tableau. It just looks messy. (In most games, that's where the deck always sits, but not this one.)
    Also, it seems to be trying to calculate "available cards to move" while it deals. This is useless (since you can't play until the deal is done) and slows the animation. Or at least, the animation is kind of slow, so if it's wasting cycles processing that, it would be better if it didn't.

Looking forward to trying the new beta interface. I'll be away (and with very poor internet access) this weekend, so I hope it doesn't expire on me.

Thanks!