Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I updated my Freecell to the new version and while I'm all for subtle, I'm afraid users wil be confused when they run it expecting to get Freecell and getting all the others too. Nowhere in the about or on the main page did it have a mention of the full version or how to upgrade, etc. Maybe you should consider a welcome page in the Freecell/demo version that has some text welcoming the player and explaining the demo features. Then you could have three options or buttons:
    -- Play freecell (equivalent of hitting Freecell card on main page
    -- Play solitaire demo (x games remaining) which takes them to the main page
    -- Upgrade to full solitaire suite which takes them to the page to buy the full app

Just an idea to consider

Also found a potential bug in the demo. Played 1 game of Aces Up. When it dealt, it said 9 games remaining. When I won, the winning dialog box said 8 games remaining. Not sure if the first one was right because it was dealing and had alread taken 1 away or if it should have said 10 so the one at the end would have said 9.
    Rgds/Mark M.
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    OK, this is now a cyclical conversation. I said a few posts ago that I cannot find a download link on that web page.
    Sorry if I wasn't being clear. If you visit that page from your phone then it will open the app catalog for you. If you visit it from your computer it has an option to enter your phone number and it will send a link to your phone.
  3.    #83  
    The full version is now available for download!

Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    I updated my Freecell to the new version and while I'm all for subtle, I'm afraid users wil be confused when they run it expecting to get Freecell and getting all the others too. Nowhere in the about or on the main page did it have a mention of the full version or how to upgrade, etc. Maybe you should consider a welcome page in the Freecell/demo version that has some text welcoming the player and explaining the demo features. Then you could have three options or buttons:
    -- Play freecell (equivalent of hitting Freecell card on main page
    -- Play solitaire demo (x games remaining) which takes them to the main page
    -- Upgrade to full solitaire suite which takes them to the page to buy the full app

Just an idea to consider
    Thats a good point. I suppose it probably would be rather confusing after an update. I'll have to think about that a bit. I think a welcome page would help a lot.

In the current version there is no link to the full version, until you use all 10 of your deals. Then the 'new game' dialog gets replaced with a new dialog that has a link to the full version.

Also found a potential bug in the demo. Played 1 game of Aces Up. When it dealt, it said 9 games remaining. When I won, the winning dialog box said 8 games remaining. Not sure if the first one was right because it was dealing and had alread taken 1 away or if it should have said 10 so the one at the end would have said 9.
    I may be off by one on the counter. I'll check it out. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    I may be off by one on the counter. I'll check it out. Thanks.
    This is either related, or an issue (small) of its own:

I was just noticing also on Solitaire Collection that as soon as a new game is dealt, the "Games Played" field in stats includes that game. It should probably wait until the next game is dealt.

The full version is now available for download!
    Got mine!

Regards,
    Tom
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    This is either related, or an issue (small) of its own:

I was just noticing also on Solitaire Collection that as soon as a new game is dealt, the "Games Played" field in stats includes that game. It should probably wait until the next game is dealt.

Regards,
    Tom
    It does? It shouldn't. It adds games to the statistics table when you deal the next game....
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I'm sorry that I didn't have the time to participate in this round of beta testing, but I wanted to say that I have joyfully downloaded the paid app. Even if it includes Spider (which I am NOT telling my fiance about!).

Grey.
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_girl View Post
    I'm sorry that I didn't have the time to participate in this round of beta testing, but I wanted to say that I have joyfully downloaded the paid app. Even if it includes Spider (which I am NOT telling my fiance about!).

Grey.
    You where a great help earlier and I really appreciate it! I hope you enjoy the game. Thanks!
  9.    #89  
    I'm uploading a new beta of freecell now. It now has a welcome screen, and is called "freecell" again. This is version 2.0.3.

I'm hoping to get this updated as soon as possible. Please let me know what you think.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I'm uploading a new beta of freecell now. It now has a welcome screen, and is called "freecell" again. This is version 2.0.3.

I'm hoping to get this updated as soon as possible. Please let me know what you think.
    Wow, that was fast. I like the welcome page. It gets your point across and markets the full game without being obnoxious. I didn't get a chance to do a game, but I wanted to check out the welcome page.
    Rgds/Mark M.
  11.    #91  
    Wow, that was fast. I like the welcome page. It gets your point across and markets the full game without being obnoxious. I didn't get a chance to do a game, but I wanted to check out the welcome page.
    I'm glad you like it. It is always really hard to write things like that. I also fixed the off by one bug you had mentioned.
  12.    #92  
    I've posted the update to freecell. Hopefully people like it.
    It does? It shouldn't. It adds games to the statistics table when you deal the next game....
    Yeah, it does. Here's what my stats looked like after one game of Freecell (from the Solitaire Pack official release), though it's the same behavior in all:

solitaire_2010-17-06_090638.png

All the other numbers look right (% won, etc.), it's just the Games Played that is off by one. When I reset the stats, everything's back to OK.

Regards,
    Tom
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Yeah, it does. Here's what my stats looked like after one game of Freecell (from the Solitaire Pack official release), though it's the same behavior in all:

solitaire_2010-17-06_090638.png

All the other numbers look right (% won, etc.), it's just the Games Played that is off by one. When I reset the stats, everything's back to OK.

Regards,
    Tom
    I think I found it. Easy fix too.
    I used to play Smallware's Sol Free, mainly Klondike Deal 3, (Smallware - Hard solitaire & puzzle games for Windows, Mac, and Palm OS) all the time on my Treos... I may have even had it on my i300 way back. I have yet to find a better solitaire incarnation than this. The layout, options, statistics, game play, etc, was all first class. I picked up Classic when I first bought my Pre just so I could still play it. This was not exactly an ideal solution... having to load Classic every time I wanted to play, and then usually needing to reboot after using Classic, became rather tedious. Anyway, since then I have been looking for a webOS solitaire that could compare to Sol Free, with little luck. I've emailed Smallware several times to see if they planned on making a webOS version, but have never heard back from them.

Would anyone care to comment how Solitaire Collection compares to SolFreee?
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I used to play Smallware's Sol Free, mainly Klondike Deal 3, (Smallware - Hard solitaire & puzzle games for Windows, Mac, and Palm OS) all the time on my Treos... I may have even had it on my i300 way back. I have yet to find a better solitaire incarnation than this. The layout, options, statistics, game play, etc, was all first class. I picked up Classic when I first bought my Pre just so I could still play it. This was not exactly an ideal solution... having to load Classic every time I wanted to play, and then usually needing to reboot after using Classic, became rather tedious. Anyway, since then I have been looking for a webOS solitaire that could compare to Sol Free, with little luck. I've emailed Smallware several times to see if they planned on making a webOS version, but have never heard back from them.

I don't think it would be right for me to compare the 2 games, because I've never played Sol Free, and I'm the author of Solitaire Collection. But, you can compare for free. The beta of Solitaire Collection is still available.

Just go to Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further. on your phone. The beta expires on the 22nd. There will also be a demo version available some time in the next few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I used to play SolFree on PalmOS devices up to the Tx, and agree that the Classic environment just wasn't cutting it. I started playing Pre-cell, and when minego's version of freecell came out, it blew Pre-cell out of the water. As with all games in the collection, the playability really matches the Pre's capabilities (& disabilities).

The best part, though, is that if you have any suggestions, post them here, and you might find them in the next version.

But, like minego says, try it yourself.

Regards,
    Tom
    Solebon, which I mentioned somewhere in this thread or the other one, is the paid version of Sol Free. As I wrote, Solebon is my yardstick for solitaire games, and it runs very well in Classic. But of course, I'd rather use a native webOS app than to have to crank up Classic, which loads pretty slowly and is something of a resource hog. I bought Solitaire Collection, and I think it's the best webOS solitaire app available. I applaud minego for doing a great job with the app's design and his responsiveness on this forum.

I find Solitaire Collection quite good already, but I hope minego keeps improving the playability and performance. IMO it hasn't reached the level of Solebon/SolFree in terms of smoothness.

Oh, and also I agree about the statistics part of Sol Free/Solebon setting the standard. It would also be great if the app could tell you when you've reached a milestone for a particular game, e.g. winning for the first time or breaking a time record.
    Last edited by Dr.Grace; 06/18/2010 at 11:22 AM.
  19.    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Solebon, which I mentioned somewhere in this thread or the other one, is the paid version of Sol Free. As I wrote, Solebon is my yardstick for solitaire games, and it runs very well in Classic. But of course, I'd rather use a native webOS app than to have to crank up Classic, which loads pretty slowly and is something of a resource hog. I bought Solitaire Collection, and I think it's the best webOS solitaire app available. I applaud minego for doing a great job with the app's design and his responsiveness on this forum.

I find Solitaire Collection quite good already, but I hope minego keeps improving the playability and performance. IMO it hasn't reached the level of Solebon/SolFree in terms of smoothness.

Oh, and also I agree about the statistics part of Sol Free/Solebon setting the standard. It would also be great if the app could tell you when you've reached a milestone for a particular game, e.g. winning for the first time or breaking a time record.
    Those are great ideas. I'd love to add those.

Would you mind entering some feature request tickets for me? Just go here: https://www.assembla.com/spaces/mine...taire/tickets/ and click "New Ticket". That will help me keep track of things.

I haven't played Solebon/SolFree, but I may have to buy classic and try it out just to have another example.

I have a lot of improvements planned. I promise that there will be frequent updates to Solitaire Collection.
    I just downloaded it... wow, very nice work! I can easily say this is the best webOS solitaire game yet. I like the sloppy card piles and landscape view is very nice. Seems like a lot of attention to detail... nice.

I'll definitely urge you to try out Sol Free and/or Solebon... I wouldn't mind seeing some bottom of the screen buttons implemented like in the Smallware solitaire games.

Again, very nice work.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast