Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    I think I'll allow unlimited plays of freecell and relaxed though, because I don't feel comfortable with taking away something that was already free.
    Yeah, that's a good point.

I'm thinking that I'll allow you to deal 3 new games for each variant. Resuming will not count against your total. I think that this will make it more likely for people to try variations that they don't know.
    You might even consider going as high as 10 or even 20 for each variant. That gives them more chance to become comfortable with the game, and if they come to like it at all, that won't be nearly enough to satisfy them anyway.

OR, install 3 deals for each game (i.e. by game number), and then allow unlimited play of those 3 deals for each game. You could even hand-pick the deals so as to be sure they aren't killers, or whatever.

Regards,
    Tom
  2.    #62  
    Alright I've posted a new version of the beta of the free version. This version allows unlimited deals of freecell and 3 deals of all other games.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Yeah, that's a good point.

You might even consider going as high as 10 or even 20 for each variant. That gives them more chance to become comfortable with the game, and if they come to like it at all, that won't be nearly enough to satisfy them anyway.

OR, install 3 deals for each game (i.e. by game number), and then allow unlimited play of those 3 deals for each game. You could even hand-pick the deals so as to be sure they aren't killers, or whatever.

Regards,
    Tom
    man, you just can't make it easy can ya? hehe

Is 3 too low? My thinking was that 3 would give them a good reason to try lots of the variants. I think I could be convinced to bump it to 5....

I could also try the "Enjoy Sudoku Daily" approach where you can play one game each day. Or possibly even a combination where the first day you get unlimited plays, and then after that you get one deal per day per game type.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Yeah, I agree that's a great idea. First time I played Aces Up was in this game and now, it's my favorite. Just need to make sure it's stored such that it can't be easily fooled.
    Rgds/Mark M.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    Yeah, I agree that's a great idea. First time I played Aces Up was in this game and now, it's my favorite. Just need to make sure it's stored such that it can't be easily fooled.
    Thats funny. I had never played golf until I wrote it, and now it is my favorite. I still love freecell, but golf is really nice for a quick game and you can play it entirely with tapping.

I'm still thinking about what restrictions to put in... At this point I'm sure of a few things though.
    A) I want people to be able to play all the games in the demo
    B) I don't want the demo to become useless after a few days
    c) I want people to be able to spend more time with it in the first few days.

So with that in mind I'm thinking that I'll do this:
    - Freecell and relaxed freecell are always unlimited
    - During the first 3 days you can play up to 3 deals per game type (for example 3 deals of any freecell, not 3 deals of each variant).
    - After the first 3 days you can play up to 1 deal per game type.

The 3 days starts the first time you play a game of that type, and would not count days that you don't play.

Ok this is getting really complicated....
    man, you just can't make it easy can ya? hehe
    That's just not my way.

Seriously, though, I'm just spewing out ideas. As always, when one of them sounds good, grab it and run. Otherwise, don't give it a second thought.

Is 3 too low? My thinking was that 3 would give them a good reason to try lots of the variants. I think I could be convinced to bump it to 5....
    My only point was that if the user liked the game at all, even 10 shots is not going to be enough. But, that'll definitely give them enough time to get comfortable with it, while sounding very generous. Seems like if they stop at 10, they weren't going to buy after three, anyway.

To be clear, I'm not saying 10 shots at each variation of Freecell, etc. Just 10 shots at each type of solitaire game.

Regards,
    Tom

The 3 days starts the first time you play a game of that type, and would not count days that you don't play.

Ok this is getting really complicated....
    Maybe it might be easier to allow unlimited play of just a handful of game #'s, like I mentioned earlier. Folks would certainly get tired of playing the same 3 or so deals over and over, but they could become comfortable with playability that way.

Regards,
    Tom (who may just get talked into playing golf one of these days)
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    That's just not my way.

Seriously, though, I'm just spewing out ideas. As always, when one of them sounds good, grab it and run. Otherwise, don't give it a second thought.

My only point was that if the user liked the game at all, even 10 shots is not going to be enough. But, that'll definitely give them enough time to get comfortable with it, while sounding very generous. Seems like if they stop at 10, they weren't going to buy after three, anyway.

To be clear, I'm not saying 10 shots at each variation of Freecell, etc. Just 10 shots at each type of solitaire game.

Regards,
    Tom
    Ok, 10 shots at each type of game is a lot more reasonable, and much easier to implement then the convoluted plan I just posted.
  9.    #69  
    Ok, now it allows 10 deals per game type. Give it a shot.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I don't see a download link anywhere on the web page. How do I get this on my phone?
  11.    #71  
    Solitaire Collection 1.0 has been approved!!!

(It may still be a while before it shows up in the app catalog)
    Last edited by minego; 06/16/2010 at 07:20 PM.
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    I don't see a download link anywhere on the web page. How do I get this on my phone?
    The game has just been released from beta. It has just been approved by palm, and should show up in the app catalog very soon.
  13.    #73  
    Until the app shows up in the app catalog you can try out the beta. It is the exact same code, but the beta will expire in a few days.

Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    The game has just been released from beta. It has just been approved by palm, and should show up in the app catalog very soon.
    Hopefully there's a free trial. I don't buy apps unless I like them.
    Add Westcliff and I'll buy it immediately!

I used to play a double deck game called Napoleon's Tomb that was great. If you could find that and add it I'd buy it even faster!

Thanks,
    Katherine
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    Hopefully there's a free trial. I don't buy apps unless I like them.
    There is a free trial. It will be in the app catalog in a few days. Until then you can try the beta. It is exactly like the full game, except that it will expire in a few days.

You can download the beta here:
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by koshki009 View Post

I used to play a double deck game called Napoleon's Tomb that was great. If you could find that and add it I'd buy it even faster!

Thanks,
    Katherine
    I've never heard of either of those games, but I'm excited to try them. Consider them added to my todo list.
  18.    #78  
    I just tried out a game of Westcliff. Great game. I don't expect it to be very hard to add. I hope to have it added in time for the 1.0.1 release.
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by koshki009 View Post

Thanks,
    Katherine
    I've just written Westcliff, and played a test game on my phone. It will be included in the 1.0.1 update.

I placed it in the menu with klondike since the games are so similar.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    There is a free trial. It will be in the app catalog in a few days. Until then you can try the beta. It is exactly like the full game, except that it will expire in a few days.

You can download the beta here:
    OK, this is now a cyclical conversation. I said a few posts ago that I cannot find a download link on that web page.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast