Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    The ". . ." is only there in the beta. Not much of a distinction though.

I'll make sure it is easier to tell them apart. I'll probably add the lil "beta" banner across the game selection screen again, and make sure that the info screen shows the full title.
    on my screen the '. . . ' is there on both versions. Well, I can't check the beta version right now, but it's certainly there in the paid app.

not a big deal, just something that would occasionally be handy when I stumble upon a bug.

thanks.
  2.    #242  
    I'm not having much luck finding an API to check for the existence of the paid app. There is a private call that will return all of the launch points, but it appears that only apps with an id starting with "com.palm." can use that, and I can't put an app in the catalog or beta feed with that.

I've posted a few questions to the developer forums, and I'll keep looking.
    Well I've figured out a way to tell if the full version is installed... but I have to actually launch it. Since the beta and full versions look exactly the same it is really confusing... I'll keep reading the docs. I'd like to get this in. Even if I don't get it working I'll try to update the beta today. Sorry for the long delay.

I have a couple other fixes I want to get in this next update as well, and a change to the launcher in prefereces. Once you add a game to the launcher the button will change to "Remove from Launcher". I can't detect launcher icons that have already been added, but I will be able to detect new ones.
  3.    #243  
    I've just uploaded beta version 1.2.9. If there are no new bugs reported by tomorrow night then I will submit the full version.

I've also uploaded freecell version 2.2.9 (same build, but freecell's major numbers are one higher). I'll submit the new full version of that on sunday as well, unless there are any new bugs reported.

EDIT: Ok it is now version 1.2.10 (and 2.2.10) because palm rejected the previous build.
    EDIT: The new versions of the beta should be ready to download now:

http://developer.palm.com/appredirec....solitairebeta
    http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...o.freecellbeta
    Last edited by minego; 07/31/2010 at 11:46 AM.
    I guess my idea sounded easier than it actually is. Not sure if it is possible or not but can the paid app and beta app share a cookie or some other file that would be the "key" indicating the paid app is installed? Then when opening the beta app it could access that file (or cookie). I've not worked on complex enough stuff on webOS so I'm not sure what all is possible.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  5.    #245  
    In web os apps are in a sandbox. There are a lot of checks put in place to be sure that an app author can't access data from other apps. For example, an app can't just look at your pictures. The app can pop up a dialog asking you to select a picture though.

So, there are APIs that allow accessing data about which apps are installed, but those APIs are private, and I can't get my app in the catalog if I try to use them.

I've posted on Palm's developer forums. Maybe there is a way that I haven't found. I'm also working on one other possibility. I can launch one app from another, and I can tell if it was successful or not. So the beta app can launch the full app. The problem is that suddenly you have 2 cards open. I may be able to work around this, but only with a change in the full app, and even then I'm not 100% sure it will work.
    Can an app tell what the user name or serial number (or anything else that's unlikely to be the same between many phones) is? Because if so, you could have the paid app encrypt some item like that that was phone specific, and generate a code that the user could enter into the beta app to extend the expiration date to "forever".

(That's sort of how you paid for stuff on the Treo. You got a magic code that was linked to your user name or something that extended the trial period indefinitely.)
  7.    #247  
    I think I can get access to a device ID. I don't really want to have a call home server to keep track of who has registered though.

One possibility would be to just hard code the device IDs of people who have been actively testing. I prefer to allow people who have bought the full version though.
    You don't have to keep track. You can use an encryption algorithm. You write code to encrypt the device ID. The paid version tells the user what the encrypted device ID is. If you enter that encrypted device ID into the beta version, it can check (by using the same algorithm to encrypt the device ID itself) to see if you've entered the valid "unlock me" code.
  9.    #249  
    I could do that if I had a proper encryption library. I'm not sure I can pull that off in javascript. I'll look into it though.

At the very least I'd need to be able to build an ASN1 hash, or something similar. It wouldn't be proper key based encryption (I can't do that without a server involved, because the client would have to have both keys) but it would be hard to break.

I suppose I could do key based by including the signing key in the paid version, but that isn't very secure.
    I can launch one app from another, and I can tell if it was successful or not. So the beta app can launch the full app. The problem is that suddenly you have 2 cards open. I may be able to work around this, but only with a change in the full app, and even then I'm not 100% sure it will work.
    This seems like a lot of work and probably a worse case scenario since it sounds like it would interrupt the user.

I think I can get access to a device ID. I don't really want to have a call home server to keep track of who has registered though.

One possibility would be to just hard code the device IDs of people who have been actively testing. I prefer to allow people who have bought the full version though.
    Call home server definitely is more work that it is worth and likely would increase your cost in the long run. I know back in the old days there was a way of generating a key that was linked to the device ID that was used to distinguish certain paid vs free versions of apps. Which was kind of where my idea came from. I'm just not sure how it would be done for webOS. Obviously if it requires too much work to make it happen then it probably is best to just not bother with it. After all the invested time only applies to the duration you maintain a beta version. And you probably don't want it to end up a nightmare.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I could do that if I had a proper encryption library. I'm not sure I can pull that off in javascript. I'll look into it though.

At the very least I'd need to be able to build an ASN1 hash, or something similar. It wouldn't be proper key based encryption (I can't do that without a server involved, because the client would have to have both keys) but it would be hard to break.

I suppose I could do key based by including the signing key in the paid version, but that isn't very secure.
    I don't think this is a case where you need something super secure. How hard do people typically work to avoid paying $3?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    This seems like a lot of work and probably a worse case scenario since it sounds like it would interrupt the user.
    I agree, this seems clunky and awkward for the user.

Call home server definitely is more work that it is worth and likely would increase your cost in the long run.
    DEFINITELY NOT WORTH IT
    I know back in the old days there was a way of generating a key that was linked to the device ID that was used to distinguish certain paid vs free versions of apps. Which was kind of where my idea came from. I'm just not sure how it would be done for webOS. Obviously if it requires too much work to make it happen then it probably is best to just not bother with it. After all the invested time only applies to the duration you maintain a beta version. And you probably don't want it to end up a nightmare.
    That's where my idea came from, too. I agree with StoneRyno that this "feature" isn't worth a lot of effort on your part. It's really not that big a deal to lose the beta app for a few days, or to have to update it from time to time. I assume you eventually plan to stop development, and let the beta version become obsolete. (well, identical with the paid version.)
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213