Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
  1.    #181  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    .11 is looking good. One minor point to give a more polished look: the row of data (game #, etc.) at the bottom is a bit too close to the buttons. Maybe it needs a background to tie it in with the buttons. How about a button panel instead of separate buttons - perhaps each button could be wider instead of dead space in between.
    I'll play with the spacing a bit. I'm hesitant to change the styling of the buttons themselves too much, because they are a standard webos control. In fact, I'm not sure if I can change them too much unless I switch to my own control.

I agree with the comments (and your intentions) to take favs & last played out of list view. I would like this to be a static & exhaustive list. Also like the idea of rearrangeable icons, at least once scrolling is required.

Nice to see the relaxed Pyramid -- that's the version I recall from years ago, too.

Re: buttons -- since a CCW arrow usually means undo, perhaps you should use that, and then use the back arrow for restart(?).
    I'll play with the icons a bit. The ones I have now are used in other palm apps. I used them because my buddy that is good with graphics is out of town. If I can change them without making them look bad then I will. Otherwise I'll wait until my buddy is back (unless someone else wants to offer help with images).
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    I'm hesitant to change the styling of the buttons themselves too much, because they are a standard webos control. In fact, I'm not sure if I can change them too much unless I switch to my own control.
    Oh, maybe the examples I've seen were "home-made". What I've seen is a bar with semi-circle ends, which is divided into equal sections; each section being a button of its own. I assumed it was a standard WebOS control.

On a related note: It might be nice to have dedicated positions for the buttons, rather than spacing them out equally depending on the game. It appears that all games get the first four buttons (menu, undo, restart, new deal), and some get the fifth (draw) button. So, some games would have blank spot as they don't require a "deal" button. The advantage is consistency for muscle memory, etc., but it might look odd.

Regards,
    Tom
  3.    #183  
    Oh, maybe the examples I've seen were "home-made". What I've seen is a bar with semi-circle ends, which is divided into equal sections; each section being a button of its own. I assumed it was a standard WebOS control.

On a related note: It might be nice to have dedicated positions for the buttons, rather than spacing them out equally depending on the game. It appears that all games get the first four buttons (menu, undo, restart, new deal), and some get the fifth (draw) button. So, some games would have blank spot as they don't require a "deal" button. The advantage is consistency for muscle memory, etc., but it might look odd.

Regards,
    Tom
    The bar with the semi-circle ends is standard, but usually only used for things that are closely grouped, like "back" and "forward" for example.

I like the idea of forcing the buttons to be in the same position, but I think it would look really odd... The only way I can think of to do it is to put in a disabled button. The button bar spacing is completely automatic, and I don't see anything in the SDK documentation that would let me control the spacing that much.

I did come up with a few better icons though. I just uploaded 1.0.12 which has the new icons and fixes the weird rotation issue that Spader reported.
    The bar with the semi-circle ends is standard, but usually only used for things that are closely grouped, like "back" and "forward" for example.
    I remember where I saw it -- Flixster. There, they use it for general functionality rather than closely grouped functions. With this type of control, a grayed out "Deal" button may not look too odd. No biggie -- just suggestions.

I did come up with a few better icons though.
    Yeah, that's better. Especially since the undo doesn't have a confirmation dialog, it's good that it's a well-known symbol.

Playability Issue: I know you've been playing around with stack dragging, but in Freecell, when I drag a stack to another tableau, it doesn't recognize the move if my finger is too far up on the tableau. Seems like anywhere in that column of the screen should be recognized.

Regards,
    Tom
  5.    #185  
    I remember where I saw it -- Flixster. There, they use it for general functionality rather than closely grouped functions. With this type of control, a grayed out "Deal" button may not look too odd. No biggie -- just suggestions.
    Yeah it is pretty easy to do. It just goes against the palm style guide. I'll keep thinking about it.

Yeah, that's better. Especially since the undo doesn't have a confirmation dialog, it's good that it's a well-known symbol.

Playability Issue: I know you've been playing around with stack dragging, but in Freecell, when I drag a stack to another tableau, it doesn't recognize the move if my finger is too far up on the tableau. Seems like anywhere in that column of the screen should be recognized.
    The new dragging code figures out the distance from where you would actually place the stack. So if you move your finger so that the cards are lined up like they would be when you let go then the distance will be 0. There is also a maximum distance.

I think it is a bit more natural now, but it does make it weird if you're dragging your finger to the bottom of the stack. I'll have to think about this. I guess I could calculate the distance from the top of the stack you are dragging, and from the bottom, and use the smaller of the 2.
  6.    #186  
    Ok 1.0.13 is uploading now. It calculates both distances and uses the smaller of the 2.
    Ok 1.0.13 is uploading now. It calculates both distances and uses the smaller of the 2.
    Yeah, that seems better. I'll let you know if it causes trouble elsewhere.

Regards,
    Tom
  8.    #188  
    Yeah, that seems better. I'll let you know if it causes trouble elsewhere.
    I think I could make it slightly better, but the math gets overly complicated for what it is doing.

Right now it is calculating the distance to the top and bottom point of the stack. If you have a really long stack then the distance to a point in the middle may actually be a lot closer.

So, the "correct" way to do it would be to calculate the horizontal distance only if the vertical distance is between the top and bottom, and do the current logic if it isn't.

I don't think it is worth changing though.
    I don't think it is worth changing though.
    Agreed -- it's fine now. I only brought it up because it almost seemed like it was a bug, since it was so different from before (at least for the specific situation that made me notice it).

BTW, I really like how the game starts faster on launch, instead of launching a new card first. Good work!

Regards,
    Tom
  10.    #190  
    Agreed -- it's fine now. I only brought it up because it almost seemed like it was a bug, since it was so different from before (at least for the specific situation that made me notice it).
    Yeah the behavior changed enough that it was a problem. I think the current solution works well. If I need to I'll implement the more correct solution, but I don't think I'll need to.

BTW, I really like how the game starts faster on launch, instead of launching a new card first. Good work!
    Thanks, I'm really happy with the change. It was really complex, but worth it. It is less confusing to users, and gets you to the game a lot faster.

I'm uploading 1.0.14 now, which replaces the "icons" and "list" buttons with icons in the header. I think they look much nicer this way. It looks like the song list in the music app.
    Wow... I don't think I've ever seen an app updated so many times in one day. Haha

Great work, it's looking great!
  12.    #192  
    I'm uploading yet another build now (1.0.15).

This is a pretty minor one. I noticed that the screenshot for pyramid was stretched weird, so I fixed that, and I improved the transition between the grid view and the list view. It looked like it was switching scenes before which annoyed me. (It really is swapping scenes, but the user shouldn't know that.)
    Is it possible to make the undo more "responsive"? If I want to undo several moves, I have to hit: undo..... undo..... undo..... etc. I'd like to be able to hit: undo, undo, undo, etc., without the lag. Hope that made sense.
  14.    #194  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    Is it possible to make the undo more "responsive"? If I want to undo several moves, I have to hit: undo..... undo..... undo..... etc. I'd like to be able to hit: undo, undo, undo, etc., without the lag. Hope that made sense.
    I agree that it would be nice if undo was faster. I'll keep working on improving it.

I'm also working on a feature that has been requested a few times to add 'bookmarks', which would let you save your state at any point in the game and then jump directly there.

I don't think either will make it into this next release, but I will be working on both after that.
  15.    #195  
    Solitaire Collection now has it's own forums here on precentral!

http://forums.precentral.net/solitaire-collection/
    About that "two taps to recycle the waste pile to stock and deal the cards" change I suggested... have you decided to go with it or leave as is? I must be so programmed from playing SolFree that I keep missing when the waste pile recycles.

EDIT: Never mind... just installed the latest beta I failed to notice earlier. My bad.

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by DrHeathenScum; 07/04/2010 at 12:53 AM.
    You are going to set a record for most updates in one day!! Wow!!
    I thought I had found a bug in Klondike Deal 3

8, 10, 7 (7 is top card)
    4, Q, K (K is top card)
    K, 3, 9 (9 is top card)

I'm trying to get the 3, so I drop the K and Q onto the tableaus and now I have

8, 10, 7 (7 is top card)
    4, 3, 9 (9 is top card)

I missed that the K was still showing when only 2 cards were drawn from stock (only two left)... why does this behavior seem odd to me?
  19.    #199  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I thought I had found a bug in Klondike Deal 3

8, 10, 7 (7 is top card)
    4, Q, K (K is top card)
    K, 3, 9 (9 is top card)

I'm trying to get the 3, so I drop the K and Q onto the tableaus and now I have

8, 10, 7 (7 is top card)
    4, 3, 9 (9 is top card)

I missed that the K was still showing when only 2 cards were drawn from stock (only two left)... why does this behavior seem odd to me?
    Yeah, many implementations of klondike will only fan out the cards that where last flipped... some (like mine) just fan the top 3. I don't think there is a rule about it (at least not any that I've seen) but both can be confusing...

At one point I had attempted to make mine fan just the ones you flipped, but it caused weird problems. If that way is really preferred then I can take another stab at it.
  20.    #200  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    You are going to set a record for most updates in one day!! Wow!!
    Yesterday was a good day. I think I'm really close to a build that I can release as a full update.

What else do you guys want to see in this update?