Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. joe_s's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
       #1  
    I was an early installer of FlightView as a beta/free application. I want to spend the $$$ to install the paid version. AppCatalog will only offer to install free version. Have tried multiple combinations of uninstall, AppCatalog updates, reset options (short of deleting Pre profile). Multiple e-mails to FlightView support and AppCatalog support have gone unanswered in the past six weeks. Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. #2  
    What country are you in? Is flight view the only paid application you are unable to install?
  3. joe_s's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    What country are you in? Is flight view the only paid application you are unable to install?
    Country is US; yes, FlightView is the only paid application I’ve not been able to install. Also, I’ve never attempted to hack or install anything homebrew-based; only plain vanilla webOS updates from Sprint. Thanks for the attention.
  4. ay
    ay is offline
    ay's Avatar
    Posts
    720 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by joe.s View Post
    I was an early installer of FlightView as a beta/free application. I want to spend the $$$ to install the paid version. AppCatalog will only offer to install free version. Have tried multiple combinations of uninstall, AppCatalog updates, reset options (short of deleting Pre profile). Multiple e-mails to FlightView support and AppCatalog support have gone unanswered in the past six weeks. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    You just alerted me to some long awaited news! I had FlightView pre-installed on my Pre when I got it last summer. When I encountered a problem with the phone later on, Palm had me Doctor it, and I lost the app because the developer had converted it to a paid app (and was no longer offering the "free version", and was not allowing those who originally had it installed to re-download it for free (which is what most developers do, even if they convert the app from free to paid). In fact, this is the ONLY app I've ever heard of converting from free to paid, and forcing those who already had it to pay for it if they ended up deleting it and wanted to re-download it. The way that Palm App Catalog apps are supposed to work is that one is supposed to be able to re-download the apps again for free (for both paid and free apps), if you already had installed it once before. So where am I going with all this ?.....I actually don't see a FREE version in the App Catalog, and I'm also in the US (on Sprint). What I see is that the paid version of the app can now be re-downloaded for free by anyone who previously had it installed. I'm finally able to reinstall the app which I never wanted to lose in the first place, so thank you for creating this thread and bringing the issue to my attention! I don't see any difference between the "paid" version now in the app catalog, and the "free" version I used to have. I think you might be mixing up paid/free v. the fact that you can now download the paid app for free because you once owned it - or am I incorrect in that statement?

    By the way, I'm not the least bit surprised that the developer has ignored your requests for assistance. When Palm and I realized what the app developer had done (switched it from free to paid, and blocked prior owners from downloading it for free), I tried reaching out to them repeatedly via e-mail AND TELEPHONE!, and not a single reply....

    Anyway, I hope my little rant and explanation of what transpired for me applies to you as well in that it addresses your concern about the getting the app back on your phone.
  5. #5  
    The Flightview developers, on this very forum, promised early users of the free Flightview that they could continue using the paid version. So their disappearance from this forum is no surprise.
  6. joe_s's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
       #6  
    Ay: The free version installs, but does not support entering flight information or integrating with calendar. I can only check individual flights on an ad hoc basis. Because of where I live, its difficult to get a direct flight to most places I travel, and many trips include two layovers, making constant ad hoc queries a hassle. It's a shame because I really like the app.
  7. ay
    ay is offline
    ay's Avatar
    Posts
    720 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by joe.s View Post
    Ay: The free version installs, but does not support entering flight information or integrating with calendar. I can only check individual flights on an ad hoc basis. Because of where I live, its difficult to get a direct flight to most places I travel, and many trips include two layovers, making constant ad hoc queries a hassle. It's a shame because I really like the app.
    This is strange - what network are you on? I'm on Sprint, and when I type "flightview" in the app catalog search box, the paid version is the only result returned to me. Is the free version called something else? I don't see this basic version with limited functionality that you're referring to...
  8. joe_s's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
       #8  
    I am on Sprint also. "Flightview" in AppCatalog returns a single app with the $4.99 price tag. Clicking through to the detail card only provide a "download for free" link at the bottom of the card.
  9. ay
    ay is offline
    ay's Avatar
    Posts
    720 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by joe.s View Post
    I am on Sprint also. "Flightview" in AppCatalog returns a single app with the $4.99 price tag. Clicking through to the detail card only provide a "download for free" link at the bottom of the card.
    OK - that's exactly what I get, and that's how it's supposed to work. You're getting a message to download the $4.99 app for free because your Palm Profile has a record that you already owned this app. If you go ahead and re-download it again, you should get a fully functional version with no limitations (I did). If you did do this, but still had trouble entering flights, perhaps if you provide detailed steps of how you attempted to enter the flights, we can find out what's going on. I just tried entering 2 flights after installing the app exactly as indicated here, and both entered properly without any problems. Please don't take any offense (just trying to help), but are you sure you're clicking Track a Flight as opposed to Track Sample Flight? I'm not sure why else you wouldn't be able to enter your flights if you re-downloaded the app after having owned it once before....
  10. joe_s's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
       #10  
    After installing the flightview app, the manage flights card does not include the interface tool with the "+" sign for adding flights. Also, there is no FlightView profile included in calendar preferences.
  11. ay
    ay is offline
    ay's Avatar
    Posts
    720 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by joe.s View Post
    After installing the flightview app, the manage flights card does not include the interface tool with the "+" sign for adding flights. Also, there is no FlightView profile included in calendar preferences.
    OK - perhaps we're getting to the bottom of this now. The way to add a flight is not from the Manage My Flights "card", but rather from the Track a Flight "card". From Track a Flight, you can enter the flight info either on the By Flight # tab or the By Route tab. Once you find your flight, THEN the + sign shows up to add it to your list of flights. If you then select the flight from either that "card" or the Manage My Flights "card", you'll then see a choice of Calendar Event where you can select to Add the flight to your calendar. Once you add your first flight to your calendar in this method, you should then see a FlightView profile show up in your calendar. I hope this works for you. It's working for me this way.

Posting Permissions