Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I'm sure this has been done a million times, but...

For the love of god, why does it take Google Maps so long to load! It's borderline comical considering how fast everything else works with an overclocked Pre!
    Yep. One reason is it loads maps over the internet when you launch...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Yep. One reason is it loads maps over the internet when you launch...
    even still it wasn't this slow by any means until the more recent OS updates came. I've switched to YPmobile and just use google maps to check out traffic.
    i agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    even still it wasn't this slow by any means until the more recent OS updates came. I've switched to YPmobile and just use google maps to check out traffic.
    i dont even use google maps, period. from the second i heard of ypmobile, i've been using that. google maps simply takes YEARS to load. about 12 shines (when the card is opened and shines breifly) until it opens.. bummer. i really liked google maps, too.
    who knows, maybe with in the next couple of OS updates, google will try and make the app more webOS friendly and less android-like. (have you seen the menu?)
    If you are on Verizon, I hear that they gimped any 3rd party app that uses location services and while it still works, it takes a while to load. The only app this doesn't affect is VZ Navigator...

Try downloading the patch to spoof your device into using the built-in aGPS and it should find locations quicker. As far as the speed of the app itself, mine isn't super quick, but it's not near as slow as you've mentioned here. And I'm a Pixi Plus.
    I prefer Sprint's Navigation App, it's free and it works awesome with it's traffic, search and voice turn by turn directions.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    google maps is slower to open now than it used to be. I'd guess it is at least twice as slow. Even worse is minimap. That app is so slow I've decided to delete it, though I'll miss the topo map info and hiking trails.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Yeah, it is slow. I started using YPmobile too.
    The GPS has always been a problem on Palm.
    Or if you're using a Pre Plus like me, just never close the google maps card. The extra memory is more than enough for double digit cards open all the time.

Now if only Verizon would get the gps to work properly...
    GPS works great on all Pre's except for the Verizon Pre Pluses.
    Palm needs better GPS hardware!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames101 View Post
    Palm needs better GPS hardware!!!
    Their GPS hardware is fine. I've never had a problem. For other mainly the plus users on verzion they are getting shafted due to the fact big red doesn't want to open up the use to 3rd party devs..
    I have found Google Maps to be extremely slow the past 50 days or so......it wasn't fast before but is was usable....now it's just horrific. YP is much more reliable.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I have found Google Maps to be extremely slow the past 50 days or so......it wasn't fast before but is was usable....now it's just horrific. YP is much more reliable.
    when we first tested the 800 mhz patches google maps opened real quick . now its a joy if it even opens for me , and its just started within the last 4 weeks or so .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Google maps is useless on the Verizon Pre. I was on a major highway in NJ and it didnt even show me on that same highway. it sucks. had a Touch 2 on Sprint 2 years ago and it was awesome. i never thought GPS would be an issue.