View Poll Results: What should I do with my Pre...

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do nothing different: the apps will come

9 42.86%
  • Why are you worried: certainly the program you need will be available by then

2 9.52%
  • Go back to your MotoQ: you can use the pre for games, music, or a paperweight until the apps come.

1 4.76%
  • Buy the next gen webOS device, even though it still doesn't have the app you need

1 4.76%
  • Buy an EVO

4 19.05%
  • Buy a Droid, and hack it to work on Sprint

0 0%
  • Run over my pre with my Suburban and put the video on Youtube.

4 19.05%
  1.    #1  
    My work schedule tends to lighten up a bit during the summer, and the need for document editing on my phone is lessened then. So, I am contemplating what my plans are going to be as things ramp up again in August. I really don't want to go for another year carrying around two phones, so something has to change.

I have thought of a few options, each one representing my general attitude towards Palm through the course of a year with my Pre.

I make no promises to follow the advice of the poll here, but there's always the possibility...
    I vote for :

1. install mobile hotspot on Pre
    2. buy a cheap netbook and install office on it
    3. use mobile hotspot on Pre to edit office docs (I guarantee it'll be a better experience than editing directly on the Pre)
    4. profit!
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    themirthfulswami FTW!

JD
    Last edited by SceneThat; 06/03/2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: change the name
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    I vote for :

3. use mobile hotspot on Pre to edit office docs (I guarantee it'll be a better experience than editing directly on the Pre)
    4. profit!
    Some people just don't get it.

1.) have it, but using it at work would get me fired
    2.) using it would get me fired
    3.) the whole point is that I need it on my phone. I don't doubt that it may be a better experience, but what about battery life? Can I carry it in my pocket? I've been doing it on a MotoQ for 3 years, what would be so bad about doing it on my Pre? Would it be any more accurate or faster? Any more secure? What are the chances that my pre will get stolen out of my pocket?
    4.) What profit is there in getting fired?

Look, we all have our different likes or dislikes. Leave me to mine and I'll leave you to yours.

Have a nice day!
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    On the serious side, especially if this is for your work/career, you have to go with your best solution. If you have to have something that the Pre can't provide, especially if there is another phone out there that can provide that missing link, then it's a no brainer: you have to go where the solution is. A phone is just a tool. If the tool you're have isn't working for you, go for the one that does. I love my new Pre Plus, but when/if the day comes when it doesn't do what I need it to do, I'll ditch it in less than a minute and get the phone that does.

Just my 2 cents,

JD
    As most have said before, if a tool doesn't meet your needs, it is pointless to have it. Get something that does.

That said, it seems odd that editing work documents at work on say a hotspot connected iPad would get you fired but not doing the SAME thing on a Pre??? A tool is a tool is a tool.

Reality check: Document editing probably isn't going to happen any time soon.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    doesn't scratch allow u to do it?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    I vote for :

4. profit!
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    What kind of work do you do ? Using a netbook get you fired? What kind of company is that. it's just better for me to use a PC for these tasks and netbooks are great. Only cost $250.00 and are very productive. Office apps on phones are really basic and tedious to use.
    See, this is your opinion. I do not find working on documents on my phone tedious. I set up my speadsheets on my PC, copy them onto my phone, and enter data throughout the day. Then when I get back to my desk, I sync it back to my PC. Saves time. Plus, my clientelle get results on the fly rather than having to wait, etc, etc....

Sorry, but I can't really talk about where I work. Let's just say it's a very secure environment, the rules regarding technology are strict. Phones are ok, notebooks or netbooks are not. Accessing outside networks will get you fired. So will having an online presence, so that is why everything I do on PC and other forums is always anonymous. I know, that leaves a lot to the imagination, and that's on purpose.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    As most have said before, if a tool doesn't meet your needs, it is pointless to have it. Get something that does.

That said, it seems odd that editing work documents at work on say a hotspot connected iPad would get you fired but not doing the SAME thing on a Pre??? A tool is a tool is a tool.

Reality check: Document editing probably isn't going to happen any time soon.
    Yeah, our IT director is just a little crazy on stuff. Here's a better picture of it:

I cannot access the internet except through the pc on my desk. Accessing the intenet by any other means while on duty is grounds for immediate dismissal.

I may not take any item of technology with me (outside of my locked, secure office) that is not approved. Laptops, notebooks, and netbooks are too easily left sitting on a table or desk and stolen or destroyed, plus remote wiping capabilities are limited (since we're not allowed to access ANY network with personal devices, not even the company wifi) and there is the potential for loss of private, confidential, or secure information, so they are banned. I do occasionally bring my laptop to work, but it stays locked up in my office.

I can bring my phone, and after I demonstrated a remote wipe on it, it was "approved." The motoQ is Winmo and they effectively have complete control over it, and can wipe it too whenever they want. I cannot access google docs, or anything like that, again, doing so with private, secure information is grounds for immediate dismissal. Whatever I want to do has to be done natively on the device and stored locally on the device.

I know, I know, an office suite is not coming anytime soon. But, I suffered through the last year, hung on every promise from DataViz, and I really love every other thing about my Pre. If the Droid was on Sprint, I probably would have jumped ship a while ago, but it's not, and there's really nothing else that interests me. So for now, I'm going to wait until things get busy again, and then I'll decide what to do.

Here's an interesting perspective: amateurhack webos document editing - Google Search
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for all the input, guys. I put this up for fun, of course. Sorry if I vent a little too.
    ah-hah.

amateur hack...your employment site seems supersecure.

you work for apple, don't you?

JK

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    ah-hah.

amateur hack...your employment site seems supersecure.

you work for apple, don't you?

JK

RRRRROOOOFFFFFLLLL!!!!

That's the funniest thing I've read in a year.

Thanks!

again, wouldn't scratch take care of your needs?

http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...atalog/scratch
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    again, wouldn't scratch take care of your needs?

http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...atalog/scratch
    I have scratch, but it is useless to me in it's current form. Here's why:

1.) My primary need is speadsheets. Numbers, formulas, results. Scratch is a word processor.

2.) No local save: I need to keep everything local, and in distinct files, and in Office friendly formats.

3.) Sync thru email = FIRED

I have had communication with that developer, and he is working on an excel solution, and local saves will be there as soon as the webOS API allows it. I will be his biggest fan!!!
    I'm a newb here but... Will DataViz run on Classic?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Caped Codder View Post
    I'm a newb here but... Will DataViz run on Classic?
    yes...unfortunately. Yes, it will work. Unfortunately, I cannot justify purchasing both programs just to use it, and in a klunky fashion for the price, just to have it on my Pre when I have a perfectly good working version on my winmo motoQ. I don't have anything against those that choose to do this, it's just not what I would choose to spend my money on.