Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I'd like to convert my audio books from iTunes to an MP3 format, so I can load it on my Pre. With all the knowledge in this site, I thought someone would be able to recommend something.
    Thanks.
    I use replay converter and replay media catcher. One pulls down unprotected streams, the other works like a screen scraper to record in real time. You start it playing and let it run. It can grab it as a single mp3, or automatically split it at time intervals or a gap in sound.
  3. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdmc View Post
    I'd like to convert my audio books from iTunes to an MP3 format, so I can load it on my Pre. With all the knowledge in this site, I thought someone would be able to recommend something.
    Thanks.
    You might also wish to check out DRM Removal (Remove DRM. Convert DRM. DRM Removal. DRM converter software. Converts iTunes, Napster, etc files - legally. Remove DRM from your files.) or Format Factory (Format Factory - Free media file format converter).
    do itunes books have drm, or are they just mp3 files?
  5. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    They are drm protected - .m4b. I actually just checked the software I suggested. While I'm very happy with Format Factory, it doesn't appear to work with iTunes books (I had never tried converting an iTunes book before). DRM Removal, however, appears to do the trick just fine.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    The audio book files are .m4b files, which I guess is DRM, since I can't play it on my Pre Plus.
    Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.
    the pre can play mp3 and mp4. Can you try converting one in itunes to mp3 or AAC?
  8. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    the pre can play mp3 and mp4. Can you try converting one in itunes to mp3 or AAC?
    Since the audio books files are DRM protected, iTunes won't let you convert the file to an mp3. You need to use other software like those we've mentioned. I tried that first too (Advanced Menu, Create MP3 Version), but it doesn't work
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I downloaded the preview version, it worked great, so I bought it... I'm converting my files now. Thanks again, this is just what I was looking for!! (I knew I'd get a good answer here!) One more reason to love my Palm Pre Plus.
  10. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    I downloaded the preview version, it worked great, so I bought it... I'm converting my files now. Thanks again, this is just what I was looking for!! (I knew I'd get a good answer here!) One more reason to love my Palm Pre Plus.
    Great - glad I could help. Enjoy!
    Which program did you download?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Oh, I forgot that part... I went with the DRM removal program, mainly because it will let me also convert my downloaded iTune videos into .mp4 format.
    Kewl. Please post your results. I didn't realize that you can clean the DRM off iTunes videos. I just haven't been all that excited about watching stuff on my Pre+ when I usually have my netbook in tow. But, I'd enjoy playing with it if that program works.

Thanks!
  14. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Kewl. Please post your results. I didn't realize that you can clean the DRM off iTunes videos. I just haven't been all that excited about watching stuff on my Pre+ when I usually have my netbook in tow. But, I'd enjoy playing with it if that program works.

Thanks!
    Yes, it works perfectly for video as well.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Thanks!
    I have to agree with ay... it works great! I was used to watching stuff on my iTouch when I traveled, so this is a great alternative... I can hardly wait to hit the road again.
    Hi, I'm leaving on a RV trip and would like to download audio books to my palm pre. I don't know anything about how to do that. Can you help?
    Thanks!
    I don't know if it was suggested, but fyi in the future---

You can burn DRM protected songs/audiobooks to CD and then rip them back to your HDD in any format you want.
    What I was wanting to do was buy a audio book online and then put it onto my pre. Do you know of any web sites to purchase audio books. What is HDD. I'm a newbie.
    Thanks!
    For me MelodyCan is the best software for different players. It can remove drm and convert files to different formats. You can try it_))
  20. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindy219 View Post
    What I was wanting to do was buy a audio book online and then put it onto my pre. Do you know of any web sites to purchase audio books. What is HDD. I'm a newbie.
    Thanks!
    What was being explained is that generally speaking (with iTunes, for example), an audio book will be DRM protected (copy protected). As a result, while you could buy such an audio book, you would only be able to play back the file, in the case of iTunes, on an ipod, in iTunes, etc. The same likely applies to other sites as well, just with whatever their proprietary audio book software is. Where ever you decide to buy the audio book from, assuming it is copy protected, you will need software to strip off that copy protection if you intend to listen to it on your Pre. There are other posts in this thread which describe this as well (such as http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...80#post2481591). You can use software such as that which can be found at Remove DRM. Convert DRM. DRM Removal. DRM converter software. Converts iTunes, Napster, etc files - legally. Remove DRM from your files. for this purpose. Hopefully this clears up the issue a little bit.