Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It sucks.

No dedicated app. No longer any homebrew apps, (i'm not paying for youmail to check a free service) so there is basically no way to listen your voicemails on your device. The transcription sucks and is basically useless. The web app sucks and i can no longer check my voicemails that way. It's frustrating. Going back to Sprint voicemail till I get an android phone.
    google buzz doesn't even work for webos, I don't know what they're talking about.
    If I have GV send me my voice mail as e-mail I'm able to stream the voice mail.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    you can access your youmail account from the web browser on your phone. You can also have youmail send the audio file to you attached to an email so you can open it on your phone.

I personally think the youview app was worth them money, and if you look at the rankings it continues to be at the top of the best-selling category...

Based on the pistol in your avatar, I hope I was VERY nice in this post. Please, kind sir, with your safety on... check youmail with your browser. And try having it send you a copy of the message.

...just please don't shoot me. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    google buzz doesn't even work for webos, I don't know what they're talking about.
    Check the front page article on Precentral today. Not that I will ever use google buzz or suggest that others use it, but you should read the article...

then use google to see where a lady had her abusive ex find her because her default settings exposed her info to him via BUZZ so he could figure out where she moved to get away from him....
    Google Voice just sucks in general, it has very little use, and annoying side-affects, the only thing worthwhile is the voice-mail, which transcribes and plays just fine for me.

However comparatively WebOS is astounding, I have no idea why something terrible would detract from something amazing....
    +1

Youmail is free, and superior. It uses your existing phone number... it creates personal greetings. It is amazing.... everyone should check it out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    +1

Youmail is free, and superior. It uses your existing phone number... it creates personal greetings. It is amazing.... everyone should check it out!
    Hey does the app sync with your Palm contacts? Like can you upload your Palm contacts to Youmail or if someone leaves a voicemail, will Youtube show your Palm contact info on the voicemail?

Also, the website says you need the pro service to use visual voicemail on apps, but I guess if you buy the app, then you don't need the pro service?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I sure hope you are getting an EVO....a whole year of seeing how your life has sucked with your pre is wearing us down. Hope your Evo treats you better. Just please do a little research and make sure it does what you want BEFORE you buy it, because I also own an android phone, and don't want another whole year of reading how your new phone sucks.

Please don't buy the phone expecting them to fix your perceived shortcomings for you in 24 hours...they MAY have other priorities, and might dissapoint you, then you will feel obligated to write a post about how google, or htc or whomever sucks because this should have been addressed before you got your phone.....

Good luck and best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    It sucks.

No dedicated app. No longer any homebrew apps, (i'm not paying for youmail to check a free service) so there is basically no way to listen your voicemails on your device. The transcription sucks and is basically useless. The web app sucks and i can no longer check my voicemails that way. It's frustrating. Going back to Sprint voicemail till I get an android phone.
    Check the front page article on Precentral today. Not that I will ever use google buzz or suggest that others use it, but you should read the article...

then use google to see where a lady had her abusive ex find her because her default settings exposed her info to him via BUZZ so he could figure out where she moved to get away from him....
    No..actually it still doesnt work. i get an error 404 page not found. I think google voice is awesome. I just got an account, thats probably why i like it so much. The idea of having 2 numbers on the same phone without actually paying more money sounds awesome to me.
    Last edited by Jason Black; 05/28/2010 at 12:42 PM.
    you don't need the "Pro" service if you bought the app. I also have the app on my blackberry... didn't have to pay for it - and it doesn't really work. I guess that proves something about free software.

Anyway, I don't know about synching contacts in the manner you are describing. When I first started using it I uploaded a bunch of contacts thinking it would use them like caller ID, but I never saw any actual value or recognition. When I check e-mail on the web page it doesn't seem to associate the uploaded contacts with the caller ID info it captures. I didn't have time to mess with it, and I figured that I was just not reading things correctly.

So, there are definitely methods to upload your contacts to youmail. Not sure if you can continue to "sync" them, and not sure what the value is. I just use it for custom greetings, notifications, and to make sure that I only ever have one place to check voicemail. Every phone number I have (including google voice) forwards to my cell phone so that there is no place to leave a message for me other than youmail.

Sorry I don't have more experience with the contact stuff.
    +1

You can setup GV voice mail to use your existing number as well with conditional call forwarding and you can also do personal greetings with it. Never used it to say one is better than the other, but just mentioning that GV has those features.
    Are you saying that today's article on Precentral.net about the Google Buzz app is wrong? I'm confused...
    Google probably didnt let it officially run yet. Read the comments on the article, users are ecountering the same issues. It says Error 404 "not found".
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    No..actually it still doesnt work. i get an error 404 page not found. I think google voice is awesome. I just got an account, thats probably why i like it so much. The idea of having 2 numbers on the same phone without actually paying more money sounds awesome to me.
    Sorry to confuse, I was responding to the post about google buzz...
    Ok, Scott. Watch yourself. Your posts are getting nasty again. Don't make me expose you!
    Who is Scott?
    YouView is worth the cost of the App and while I think it works with Google Voice, you can use their vm service which is superior (though you have to pay extra to get transcripts). It is nice to be able to delete visual vm messages from the phone with a swipe after listening to them in whatever order you wish.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by shcole View Post
    I sure hope you are getting an EVO....a whole year of seeing how your life has sucked with your pre is wearing us down. Hope your Evo treats you better. Just please do a little research and make sure it does what you want BEFORE you buy it, because I also own an android phone, and don't want another whole year of reading how your new phone sucks.

Please don't buy the phone expecting them to fix your perceived shortcomings for you in 24 hours...they MAY have other priorities, and might dissapoint you, then you will feel obligated to write a post about how google, or htc or whomever sucks because this should have been addressed before you got your phone.....

Good luck and best wishes!
    what a stupid pdf post....i said google voice sucks on the pre, try to stay on topic will you...
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    what a stupid pdf post....i said google voice sucks on the pre, try to stay on topic will you...
    ...and since he is holding a gun, I'd listen...

Mr vick, have you checked into youmail.com? Please don't shoot!
    +1

I agree with you. Youmail is one of the few paid apps that I have purchased, and it has been worth it. It works great. I was mad that I had to pay for an app to get visual voice mail, when I had it on my instinct, and when every other smartphone has it, but that is a Palm issue, not Youview's fault. It has filled the need, and for $5, I can get over not having it included.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast