Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there an app or patch that will allow a user to perform a deep search of their contacts? i.e. search all fields? The limited built in ability that only searches on the name, and for company searches only on the first word of the name, is killing me.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Convert; 06/14/2010 at 03:22 PM.
    I don't understand. If you want to find Apple Computer, you want to type "computer" rather than "apple"? Can you clarify this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    ...The limited built in ability that only searches on the name, and for company searches only on the first word of the name, is killing me.
    I don't quite understand either as the current Global Search doesn't just search the first word of the name... it searches the company name, and whole name. For John Smith, you can start typing either part of the name, or "JSJSJS&$quot$;, $or$ &$quot$;$JSM$&$quot$;, $etc$.

Are you looking for something that also indexes and searches keywords within contact notes too?
    yes, search the whole contact for key words
    I too would like the ability to search fields like phone numbers (for reverse lookup), notes etc. Google contact search can do this so I use the web browser as a work around.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I would LOVE to be able to search for the Notes in a contact!!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I don't understand. If you want to find Apple Computer, you want to type "computer" rather than "apple"? Can you clarify this?
    The Universal Search does not work like the old Find on previous Palms. My experience has shown that the Search only searches on the name, and for company searches only on the first word of the name:
    - If I have a contact Mike Smith with the Title "Plumber", and you search on Plumber - no matches are returned.
    - If you have a company named T&S Electricians and you search on "Electricians" - no matches are returned.
    - If you have a contact Village of Elmwood Park Water Dept, and Search "Water" - no matches are returned.

I would like to be able to search ALL fields like all previous Palm product did, including the Notes field.

I have over 1000 contacts and on the Pre the Contacts search is quite useless.
    Last edited by Convert; 08/31/2010 at 01:22 PM.
  8.    #8  
    What are the limitations on the Contacts app that you are not able to search on all fields like previously? A patch to enable this functionality seems like it would be a no-brainer.
    I can't believe there's not already a patch for this! I needed to call a specific contractor the other day but couldn't remember his name, but remembered his good work that I put in his Notes. I tried to search on that info but couldn't get any results. Man it took me 1/2 an hour to find that contact scrolling through all.
    If it's not frozen, don't try and thaw it.
    Does the "Google account search" app provide what you're after?

Seems like that would fit the bill if you sync to Google. (I only use the Google Calendar search, though).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    We need a search in the calandar (palm calandar)in the worst way.....
    Quote Originally Posted by sincityk9 View Post
    We need a search in the calandar (palm calandar)in the worst way.....
    Try installing the Agenda Homebrew App. You can load up mulitple days (i default to a full month), but you can even load up a full year if you want. And, it supports the "Type to search" functionality, so it gives you the closest thing to calendar search on webOS right now for the Palm Profile calendar
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I too would like the ability to search fields like phone numbers (for reverse lookup), notes etc. Google contact search can do this so I use the web browser as a work around.
    Yeah, I'd like to see a phone number search. Would the "Google Account Search" app have this ability?
    Maybe Google would work. But I don't use google for my contacts. At any rate, back to the real issue, what is so screwy about the Contacts data that you can't search all of the fields like you could in every previous Palm device????
    If it's not frozen, don't try and thaw it.
    I don't quite understand the problem. I just tested a few things out using the universal search and all searches provided my contacts.

I type in a name, contact came up.

I typed up a company contact came up.

I typed a number and contact came up.

I do not use notes associated with contacts. However when you open up memos, and then type a few keywords that memo pops up.

all these seem adequate to me. Note I used the word adequate. This may not be what you are accustomed too.
    you can also use the classic software and do things the way you're used to.
    It also searches the nickname field. That's what I use for category ie business, personal, medical.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    guys what he wants is a tealphone but for webos.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I don't quite understand the problem. I just tested a few things out using the universal search and all searches provided my contacts.

I type in a name, contact came up.

I typed up a company contact came up.

I typed a number and contact came up.

I do not use notes associated with contacts. However when you open up memos, and then type a few keywords that memo pops up.

all these seem adequate to me. Note I used the word adequate. This may not be what you are accustomed too.
    you can also use the classic software and do things the way you're used to.
    Well obviously you didn't try the examples I gave earlier from real every day use where the Pre's Universal Search returned no results.

Maybe Classic would work - but that would mean maintaining 2 different databases, and at an extra $30. No, maybe with the Pre I should just go back in time and have 2 devices like before smartphones - a fancy phone with lots of foo foo, and my old Treo just for PIMS.

In this IT centric day and age, it's all about the data - organizing it, managing it, and slicing and dicing it to meet the users needs. This is a mission critical concept that has clearly evaded Palm.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    guys what he wants is a tealphone but for webos.
    No, don't need TealPhone, just basic Find and PIM functionality like all previous Palm products had built in. I don't think this is anything beyond a patch, unless Palm did something really funky with the Contacts data.
    well I am a physician and have over 500 contacts, yet have no problem finding a contact.

if you're going to stick with webOS, you have other options including modifying your contacts slightly so they can be found more easily using palm's built in algorithm for universal search, using the classic software (which should be coming on sale soon per their last posting), request palm directly to add fielda to their algorithm to a future update, or ask a developer to create a patch that will include fields that you are requesting.

alternatively you can get a different phone, not sure what their universal search protocols are. Maybe someone with experience with bb's or androids or iphones can chime in here.

you have options. Just saying.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast