Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    been thinking, there are even more options.

instead of carrying a phone and pda, you again can use classic (with it's pda features) within webOS (phone).

you can add infrequent numbers such as your plumber to palm's built in speed dial.

get one of the myriad contacts programs (such as speed dial or super contacts) and set up categories for your contacts.

hopefully one of these solutions will help you enjoy your phone better and keep one device.
    I think that's why Convert started this thread, which I totally agree with. Man, to use Palm products for over 12 years and have all my contacts organized based on their contacts db, and then to have that totally thrown out the window.... is a bit annoying. I for one officially request a patch to fix this issue. I already added it to Palm's Feedback & Feature Requests page. http://www.palm.com/us/company/feedback.html
    Last edited by FrozenLoad; 05/29/2010 at 06:19 PM.
    If it's not frozen, don't try and thaw it.
    Really confused here. Can the OP clearly state what the actual issue is? I am a long (long) time Palm user (see sig) and the only two fields that are not "searchable" in US are "Title" and "Notes".

I have several thousand professional IT contacts and have not once had an issue looking one up. Hell, when I expense my phone usage to the company, I use the reverse phone # lookup to match against my bill which is a HUGE timesaver for charging work related calls.

While I did use Notes in the past, I never used "Nicknames" because professionally I never use Nicknames with clients and users.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Really confused here. Can the OP clearly state what the actual issue is? I am a long (long) time Palm user (see sig) and the only two fields that are not "searchable" in US are "Title" and "Notes".

I have several thousand professional IT contacts and have not once had an issue looking one up. Hell, when I expense my phone usage to the company, I use the reverse phone # lookup to match against my bill which is a HUGE timesaver for charging work related calls.

While I did use Notes in the past, I never used "Nicknames" because professionally I never use Nicknames with clients and users.
    The ability to search Title and Notes is critical.

Examples of issues again:
    1) I keep clear notes on peoples skills and capabilities, all listed in Notes, none of these are searchable. I may not remember their name, but I do remember their good work

2) Enter a new contact John & Sally Smith. A couple of weeks later - Hey honey what was the name of that couple we met last week? I can't remember his name but her name was Sally. Search on Sally, Pre returns -> NO SEARCH RESULTS.

3) Hey honey, what's the name of that shoe repair shop? Oh let me look, search on shoe or repair, Pre returns -> NO SEARCH RESULTS. The name was Quality Shoe Repair and listed under Company. You can only search on the first name of a business.

4) I want to send an email to all CIOs I know. Search on CIO which is properly in the Title fields, Pre returns -> NO SEARCH RESULTS.

5) Can you search on address? Hey do you know anyone in Scranton? Oh let me look, search on Scranton, Pre returns -> NO SEARCH RESULTS.

Here are several other threads where the lack of search is spelled out pretty clearly:
    Please add Universal Search on the Palm Pre - Palm Support Community
    http://forums.palm.com/t5/webOS-Soft...re/td-p/296271
    Re: Contact Search for Palm Pre - Palm Support Community
    Last edited by FrozenLoad; 05/30/2010 at 05:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenLoad View Post

1) I keep clear notes on peoples skills and capabilities, all listed in Notes, none of these are searchable. I may not remember their name, but I do remember their good work

2) Enter a new contact John & Sally Smith. A couple of weeks later - Hey honey what was the name of that couple we met last week? I can't remember his name but her name was Sally. Search on Sally, Pre returns -> NO SEARCH RESULTS.

3) Hey honey, what's the name of that shoe repair shop? Oh let me look, search on shoe or repair, Pre returns -> NO SEARCH RESULTS. The name was Quality Shoe Repair and listed under Company. You can only search on the first name of a business.

4) I want to send an email to all CIOs I know. Search on CIO which is properly in the Title fields, Pre returns -> NO SEARCH RESULTS.

5) Can you search on address? Hey do you know anyone in Scranton? Oh let me look, search on Scranton, Pre returns -> NO SEARCH RESULTS.

Here are several other threads where the lack of search is spelled out pretty clearly:
    Palm Pre--Where is the Universal Search Feature? - Palm Support Community
    Thanks for the clarification. Wow, in almost a year with the Pre I have probably looked up contacts 1000's of times and never ran into any of those specific scenarios. Based on my work with contact databases, it's an indexing issue and (theoretically) should be a pretty straight forward fix. (assuming standard contact table structure and distributed primary keys.
    wow, some of you guys with complicated contact searches. I usually know who my plumber is, if I put sally in to my contacts and search her name there she is, re: notes search like I said if you open memos and start typing a particular person's skills the memo pops up, if I were to put in a shoe repair shop I would enter "shoe" under company and any entry with "sho" would pop up, re: CIOs, if you get a program that categorizes all your contacts it should solve your problem.

I agree maybe Palm should update their universal search protocol, to meet some of the complicated contact search issues a few of you are having. But until they do there are plenty of decent solutions.

Glad FrozenLoad sent in a request to Palm, hopefully they are listening.
    My issue with search (Universal or via Contact app) is that there seems to be a memory leak and I invariably get the dreaded 'tmc error'. I have close to 7000 contacts btw
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I usually know who my plumber is.....
    well, I don't have to call a plumber often, and being a landlord I have several listed in contacts that I've used over the years for different projects. And that goes for numerous other trades. That's the point of having a contacts db.

if I put sally in to my contacts and search her name there she is
    not if you listed her like in my example. But maybe you have a different system for listing couples. Again, I thought that was the point of having a good contacts db, not having to have a "system" which you will forget down the road anyway. Simply enter a contact and you will be able to search for it in the future. Isn't that how Google became, well Google?

if I were to put in a shoe repair shop I would enter "shoe" under company and any entry with "sho" would pop up
    Again, if it's not the first word in the company name, you get No Results. So if you had a business called MDsmartphone Dermatologists and I entered you in my contacts as such, then later searched on dermatologist, guess what? -> No Results.

notes search like I said if you open memos and start typing a particular person's skills the memo pops up,
    Why would I want to have a note for a contact in the memos db? There is a Notes field for each and every contact, and it serves a great purpose.

This issue has been listed in several forums since the Pre first came out. I guess Palm won't ever do anything, so a Patch would be great. Are there any developers out there like to resolve this issue with a nice Patch?
    Last edited by FrozenLoad; 05/30/2010 at 05:07 PM.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenLoad View Post

Palm Pre--Where is the Universal Search Feature? - Palm Support Community
    Excellent examples there FrozenLoad! And thanks for the links that help spell out this issue. Now if a nice developer would take this patch on, or create an app. I would definitely pay for it.
    [QUOTE=MDsmartphone;2480522]

I type in a name, contact came up.

I typed up a company contact came up.

I typed a number and contact came up.

QUOTE]

I type in numbers and it doesn't find anything.
    that can't be true. Type a phone number of someone in your contact database and it will come up with universal search.

frozen load, I am not trying to be antagonistic with you, I wholeheartedly agree with you that palm needs to modify their universal search protocol and glad you contacted them. However, as it currently is, there are good work arounds. Case in point like I said I can always find a contact if I need to using the pre plus as I currently have set up. However different strokes for different folks, right? Otherwise you might
    benefit from another OS device.
  12.    #32  
    that can't be true. Type a phone number of someone in your contact database and it will come up with universal search.
    That is, type a number (no spaces) from the Launcher page; it does not work when searching within Contacts.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I have the same problem with the contacts search and would love an app that would fix this. I routinely search for things in my contacts only to be told None Found and in fact it's there I am just not searching for what the pre believes to be the "key words".
    what version of webOs are you running.
    I have vzw's 1.4.1.1, or whatever the latest build is. Or perhaps we are getting mixed up.

if you launch the contacts app, and then search by number, you are right, no contacts show up. That might be a bug or oversight by palm that should def be brought to their attn. It also only allows you to search by letter within the contacts app, might be intentional.

on the otherhand, if you start typing a number from the actual launcher pages, and avoid the contacts app it WILL show the contact. I've reproduced this 10 times
    I have my brother & sis in law listed as Kevin & Carol Bxxxx and when i type the first three letters of her name it comes up and underlines them. I think at one time I had to put a space or maybe a double space after the & sign tho, it didn't always work.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  16.    #36  
    It also only allows you to search by letter within the contacts app, might be intentional.
    You can search by number in the contacts, but you have to hold down the Option Key and select the number in order for numbers to come up e.g. 1st Bank. The goes the same if searching from the launcher for that type of mixed alpha/numeric entry.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    I have my brother & sis in law listed as Kevin & Carol Bxxxx and when i type the first three letters of her name it comes up and underlines them. I think at one time I had to put a space or maybe a double space after the & sign tho, it didn't always work.
    I can't get this to work. I entered exactly Kevin & Carol Bxxxx in the Name field - search on Carol and do not get a match on this. If you enter multiple spaces after the &, the Pre parses it automatically down to one space. This search does not work for me. Search Kevin - yes match; search Bxxxx - yes match; search Carol - no match.
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    You can search by number in the contacts, but you have to hold down the Option Key and select the number in order for numbers to come up e.g. 1st Bank. The goes the same if searching from the launcher for that type of mixed alpha/numeric entry.
    I do know to hold the option button down, but I also know two co-workers who had no idea. regardless, like it has been mentioned the contact doesnt show up unless you have a number in the contact name.
    So, any fix for this problem? I, too, find it one of the most annoying failings of the Pre. It's not crippling, because I sync (missing sync) with my Mac, and the Mac can still find my plumbers and electricians, but it sure makes the Pre seem like a stupid gadget. You'd think it would be at least as smart as a Treo, but it's not.

You guys who remember everyone's name, well good for you, some of us used electronic gadgets to help us with that.

I'd be happy to pay for an app that fixed this deficiency.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12