Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    <<deleted>>
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 08/11/2011 at 04:41 AM.
    Problem with that is it's still not the right catalog. I'm interested to see how are credit cards being charged. It's not fun having to get charged an extra 2.5% by the credit card company because of exchange.

I'm OK with region customization, but not region locking. Probably the reason why up till now we're still not seeing a global unlocked Pre or Pixi.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    is it a currency issue or a copyright issue?
    I'm willing to guess it's taxes issue. Palm needs to set up regional tax reporting.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I would think they've "opened" it up only if paid apps can be seen if activated outside the "official country" list. I doubt it.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I'm willing to guess it's taxes issue. Palm needs to set up regional tax reporting.
    And is that so hard to do?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Synopsis:

i_maq
    - bought his Pre Plus in Germany
    - activated it in the UK
    - sees German App Catalog (it seems)

mafiaboy01
    - bought his Pre Plus in the US
    - activated it in Canada
    - sees US App Catalog (it seems)

(right guys?)

Is Palm changing the App Catalog procedure and FINALLY opening shop everywhere on the planet, showing the App Catalog of the Pre's country of origin (with hopefully all credit cards accepted).

What will 1.4.5 bring...?
    I'll be testing the following in the coming weeks:

1) Purchased a Palm Pixi Plus in Switzerland (German unlocked GSM)
    2) Ship immediately to the US, without activating it first
    3) Activate it in the US with an AT&T Prepaid account.
    4) Create a Palm Profile and verify paid app access using www.simon.com card.
    5) Ship it to Australia
    6) Put in Australian SIM card, continue to use the www.simon.com debit card.
    7) Verify paid app access continues.

If it works for the Pixi Plus, I may repeat the process for a Pre Plus (which would then become my primary phone, replacing the German GSM Pre that I use now which has no access to any paid apps).

(Yes, this is how donations sent to me personally are used, as opposed to donations sent to the WebOS Internals team)

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'll be testing the following in the coming weeks:

1) Purchased a Palm Pixi Plus in Switzerland (German unlocked GSM)
    2) Ship immediately to the US, without activating it first
    3) Activate it in the US with an AT&T Prepaid account.
    4) Create a Palm Profile and verify paid app access using www.simon.com card.
    5) Ship it to Australia
    6) Put in Australian SIM card, continue to use the www.simon.com debit card.
    7) Verify paid app access continues.

If it works for the Pixi Plus, I may repeat the process for a Pre Plus (which would then become my primary phone, replacing the German GSM Pre that I use now which has no access to any paid apps).

(Yes, this is how donations sent to me personally are used, as opposed to donations sent to the WebOS Internals team)

-- Rod
    Rod, U ARE DA MAN!

Without the work you've done for the community, App development for WebOS would have fizzled. We already know the mistakes Palm made early on, so having the tools you've provided and made widely available has truly saved this platform IMHO.

I'll be the first to admit that my donation is long overdue. It's now coming your way! Keep up the great work.

Wouldn't want to be accused of hijacking this thread, and that wasn't my intention when I hopped over here. Before I switched gears to give Rod a pat on the behind, I had headed here to share my latest Palm pre Plus app catalog experience with y'all.

Not sure what to think after my latest experience. It sure seems like the only sure fire way to get the full USA app catalog on a Pre Plus destined for use on a different carrier than the one who sold it appears to be by going back to the original basics. Here a link to a post in which I shared my latest app catalog experience. Guess I did hijack one tonight. oops ....

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2468069
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    And is that so hard to do?
    It's a very tedious, expensive, and heavily regulated thing to do.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/23/2010 at 01:42 AM.
    Rod, you could also get a damaged or faulty QWERTY Pre from the UK, unlock it if needed, and swap the motherboard with your German Pre (which probably is in pristine shape)
    I've been trying to get such a test device for some time. If anyone knows of how I can get one for cost of shipping plus a generous tip, I'm all ears.

But what I want to end up with is an unlocked QWERTY EU Pre Plus, with access to the US paid app catalog ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    ...(Yes, this is how donations sent to me personally are used, as opposed to donations sent to the WebOS Internals team)
    -- Rod
    All you do is amazing! I donated to you on the 11th and wasn't sure if I donated to the right one. So after checking, I saw it went to you and not the Internals group... not knowing all this, I'm glad I sent it to the right one!

If you ever need another connection in the US to help activate a device or something... don't hesitate to let me know...
    I've been trying to get such a test device for some time. If anyone knows of how I can get one for cost of shipping plus a generous tip, I'm all ears.

But what I want to end up with is an unlocked QWERTY EU Pre Plus, with access to the US paid app catalog ...

-- Rod
    With all you do for Palm users.. and having been cited directly in Palm's last PowerPoint presentation, isn't there a connection directly at Palm who would be willing/able to send you one of their returned devices for testing?

I can't believe someone there couldn't help out for free... hmmm
    LOL, I was reading this as a reply to replacing the mobo.
    It's certainly tedious and expensive to do so ....

http://bit.ly/pre-disassembly

Palm Pre Disassembly - a set on Flickr

-- Rod
    LOL, I was reading this as a reply to replacing the mobo.
    LOL... I fixed the posting for ya!
    Yes, I've got the RapidRepair guide in my bookmarks for some time now, but it hasn't become relevant yet. I could replace the mobo, and that would get me apps, but it would also turn my Pre into a very regular one that doesn't get updates first.
    I've taken two Sprint Pre phones apart so far, and I'm still not 100% certain I can get that last keyboard bezel tab on the right hand side back into place without a visible blemish after swapping the comms board out.

And I need a spare GSM comms board to get the software side of things sorted out too (e.g. transferring the NVRAM settings).

-- Rod
    How does one know which AppCat is being accessed? (i.e. US, German, French)?
    One makes an educated guess based on where the device was first activated
    ...my story. Purchased French Pre+ and unlocked and activated here and have access to free apps only...so which AppCatalog am I accessing?
    The Free ROW App Cat. How many apps do you see? 500 or so?
    You bought an SFR Pre Plus and decided to activate it in Australia with all the threads about geo-filtering and unofficial countries? I've tried to be as obnoxious as possible in spreading the truth about Palm's ****** AppCat policy, but it seems I haven't preached hard enough.
    Relax tomi i didn't decide anything...I instructed the person I bought it from to activate for me and obviously didnt do it

thanks for clarifying though
    I've taken two Sprint Pre phones apart so far, and I'm still not 100% certain I can get that last keyboard bezel tab on the right hand side back into place without a visible blemish after swapping the comms board out.

And I need a spare GSM comms board to get the software side of things sorted out too (e.g. transferring the NVRAM settings).

-- Rod
    I may have an EU GSM Pre comm board coming my way for ya. Keep your fingers crossed. If I can get ahold of it, it's yours! I'll know in a week.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I may have an EU GSM Pre comm board coming my way for ya. Keep your fingers crossed. If I can get ahold of it, it's yours! I'll know in a week.
    Awesome. I'll be happy to pick up the shipping costs plus a nice tip for your trouble

-- Rod
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast