Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So Rod,
    If you hard reset your german pre, but "log in" to the account that came with your CDMA phone, does that not allow you to buy US apps on the german phone? Or is this not possible?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    So Rod,
    If you hard reset your german pre, but "log in" to the account that came with your CDMA phone, does that not allow you to buy US apps on the german phone? Or is this not possible?
    It does not. App Store access is based on country of first activation of the device - the profile is irrelevant.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'll be testing the following in the coming weeks:

1) Purchased a Palm Pixi Plus in Switzerland (German unlocked GSM)
    2) Ship immediately to the US, without activating it first
    3) Activate it in the US with an AT&T Prepaid account.
    4) Create a Palm Profile and verify paid app access using www.simon.com card.
    5) Ship it to Australia
    6) Put in Australian SIM card, continue to use the www.simon.com debit card.
    7) Verify paid app access continues.

If it works for the Pixi Plus, I may repeat the process for a Pre Plus (which would then become my primary phone, replacing the German GSM Pre that I use now which has no access to any paid apps).

(Yes, this is how donations sent to me personally are used, as opposed to donations sent to the WebOS Internals team)

-- Rod
    Hi Rod, in relation to using a simon card, how do you get across the payment info screen where you have to input the cc details to fund the giftcard or giftaccount? I have aussie cc's and so have tried to use but you can't select another country yadayada so authoristion fails....
    Quote Originally Posted by thewhitetower View Post
    Hi Rod, in relation to using a simon card, how do you get across the payment info screen where you have to input the cc details to fund the giftcard or giftaccount? I have aussie cc's and so have tried to use but you can't select another country yadayada so authoristion fails....
    I use a virtual gift account with a US address and paypal a colleague in the US to make the initial purchase.

-- Rod
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Just to dump more mud in the muddy water...

Earlier tonight my friend bought an used AT&T Pre Plus, that has been unlocked by a local phone shop. It has the Canadian app catalog, see below:

It has the CBC News app, so definitely it's the Canadian catalog. So now the plot thickens...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Just to dump more mud in the muddy water...

Earlier tonight my friend bought an used AT&T Pre Plus, that has been unlocked by a local phone shop. It has the Canadian app catalog, see below:

It has the CBC News app, so definitely it's the Canadian catalog. So now the plot thickens...
    Sounds like it was activated on a Canadian GSM network first. Can you get the pedigree from the original seller?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I PM'ed the seller over at HoFo, will post once he gets back.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

So he got back to me...

Hey there well to be honest I didn't do anything really. Once I stuck my sim in it i activated it on Canadian soil so to speak. I was told that if you activate it in America you will get the American app store, and you would have to use an American credit card. So I'm assuming that's how that works.
    I'm confirming if he first activated in Canada or US, but sounds like the initial activation was Canada.

^^
    And yep, that's what he did. Unlock, then activate in Canada.

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'll be testing the following in the coming weeks:

1) Purchased a Palm Pixi Plus in Switzerland (German unlocked GSM)
    2) Ship immediately to the US, without activating it first
    3) Activate it in the US with an AT&T Prepaid account.
    4) Create a Palm Profile and verify paid app access using Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards card.
    5) Ship it to Australia
    6) Put in Australian SIM card, continue to use the Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards debit card.
    7) Verify paid app access continues.

If it works for the Pixi Plus, I may repeat the process for a Pre Plus (which would then become my primary phone, replacing the German GSM Pre that I use now which has no access to any paid apps).

-- Rod

So have you won with a Pixi/Pre Plus in Oz and access to Paid US catalogue yet sir?

There is so much great stuff in these forums, but it'd be great to have a consolidated webOS in Oz guide/post (or better still ability for someone to hand over a lump sum to get a working device for Oz =D). Die Centro die.
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    So have you won with a Pixi/Pre Plus in Oz and access to Paid US catalogue yet sir?

There is so much great stuff in these forums, but it'd be great to have a consolidated webOS in Oz guide/post (or better still ability for someone to hand over a lump sum to get a working device for Oz =D). Die Centro die.
    My 7 step process worked perfectly. The resulting device got 1.4.5 ahead of the US too.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts

Nice! Any chance I can hand over a lump sum to get a clone?
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    ^^
    And yep, that's what he did. Unlock, then activate in Canada.
    I'm having a little trouble figuring out what app catalog I have. I imported a new in the box at&t palm pre plus to Canada and activated with a Rogers sim card (didn't realize that could be a problem at the time...dang...) Phone, text, 3G all work great on the rogers network. The only problem I'm experiencing is the catalog.

I would assume that it's using the Bell cat since it was activated in Canada, but I seem to be missing quite a few apps and don't even have access to the paid ones (should be available in Canada now)

I'm currently showing 1229 apps when a co-worker with an original Bell pre is showing over 2000 and has access to paid apps... Not quite sure, but I think the American catalog has well over 3000? so I know I don't have that one!

Anyone know what's going on here?... I don't have the Cbc app that was mentioned and I'm missing basic free apps like Engadget...

I've tried creating different profiles and installing different network firmwares. Was using the original 1.4.2 at&t firmware and just switched to Bell's 1.4.5 but still have the same crippled catalog.
    Last edited by nachuman; 07/17/2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: palm is da bomb
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12