1.    #1  
    So, gDial is totally not working for me now. I have no use for it now because I can't even text international free of charge. So how is YouView with Google Voice? Anybody can recommend it or is there anything else that works better with my Pre?
    I just made a bookmark to the mobile Google Voice site and put it in my launcher (third column, third row down). It isn't quite as nice as the gDial app, but it works.

I haven't tried YouView, although was looking at the info. and video of it in the App Catalog tonight. You have to pay $2/mo. in order to get certain features like transcriptions and some other stuff (I forget what).

I'm not sure if Voxofone does int'l texting or not, plus you might have to pay for it. I don't recall texting as part of YouView, but maybe I missed that?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I use youmail.com

wouldn't trade it for anything. Youview is the top selling app, and it makes youmail.com rock.
    I can't speak about that program... But as far as transcriptions go I just have them texted to my phone through google voice for free.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I don't use google voice but I do use youview and love it.
  6.    #6  
    I just bought youview and I added my youview email to my google voice email and still I have not received the email confirmation. I used:
    mycellNumber@my.youmail.com
    Any ideas how to make it work?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    I just made a bookmark to the mobile Google Voice site and put it in my launcher (third column, third row down). It isn't quite as nice as the gDial app, but it works.

I haven't tried YouView, although was looking at the info. and video of it in the App Catalog tonight. You have to pay $2/mo. in order to get certain features like transcriptions and some other stuff (I forget what).

I'm not sure if Voxofone does int'l texting or not, plus you might have to pay for it. I don't recall texting as part of YouView, but maybe I missed that?
    Is there a way to listen to the message from the mobile site? I can't seem to find a way, and often the transcription is laughably incorrect. Its kind of a game to figure out what was said from the text.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I just bought youview and I added my youview email to my google voice email and still I have not received the email confirmation. I used:
    mycellNumber@my.youmail.com
    Any ideas how to make it work?
    Thanks
    Yeah, i had this same problem. What I did was change my email address for YouMail to something other than my google email address (Another account that you can access). I then had it send he notification to the number@my.youmail.com again from GoogleVoice. I got the email (into my spam mail on the other account), clicked the link to verify, then went back and changed my youmail account email back to my gmail address. Seems that gmail is blocking it's notifications that come back via another email address route like YouMail. Hope that helps!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rpankoe View Post
    Yeah, i had this same problem. What I did was change my email address for YouMail to something other than my google email address (Another account that you can access). I then had it send he notification to the number@my.youmail.com again from GoogleVoice. I got the email (into my spam mail on the other account), clicked the link to verify, then went back and changed my youmail account email back to my gmail address. Seems that gmail is blocking it's notifications that come back via another email address route like YouMail. Hope that helps!
    THANKS! That was actually the solution to the problem. However, for some reason my voicemails in youview are showing unknow for the names and I'm not getting the transcriptions from google voice as text messages. Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    I have never liked the YouView app, never seemed to work reliably for me (increased battery drain, no option to NOT check for new Voicemail, not notifying me of new voicemail). However, I DO use youmail and love it. Very professional greeting for callers and as soon as I receive a message, I have it set to dispatch a text msg to me....I then call in for my messages.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    I have never liked the YouView app, never seemed to work reliably for me (increased battery drain, no option to NOT check for new Voicemail, not notifying me of new voicemail). However, I DO use youmail and love it. Very professional greeting for callers and as soon as I receive a message, I have it set to dispatch a text msg to me....I then call in for my messages.
    Odd i have used youview since the first beta and it has never failed me yet.

no battery drain...........i allways get notifications etc etc.

works great with google voice

maybe give it another shot.

probably my most used program on my pre.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
  12.    #12  
    OK, so I guess I gotta import my google contacts with the website in other to display the names. Now the only thing is that I don't get the transcripts at all. Also, when I add a new contact I'm gonna have to do the import again? At the same time if the contact is a business contact, it doesn't show the company name in the import, just the number.
    Quote Originally Posted by housetube View Post
    Is there a way to listen to the message from the mobile site? I can't seem to find a way, and often the transcription is laughably incorrect. Its kind of a game to figure out what was said from the text.
    Hmm, last time I checked there wasn't. But you can call up the voicemail like normal voicemail and listen to it.

The transcriptions are horrible! Worse than something that's been translated into English by somebody who doesn't speak fluently.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Maybe that is a feature that @Arcticus could look at to add to Youview so that GoogleVoice stuff forwarded through the drop-box would have the transcribed text. That may be a nice feature for free users of YouMail.
    has anyone else using youview with google voice gotten very shortened transcriptions in the app? Is there a workaround?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by PrestonJames View Post
    has anyone else using youview with google voice gotten very shortened transcriptions in the app? Is there a workaround?
    My understanding is that they are doing this on purpose to avoid competition from google. Otherwise, people will stop paying youmail for the transcription. I don't know if I can agree with that, but I hope they could allow longer transcriptions.

Also, have you guys ever received three voicemails at the same time and having them mixed up in youview? It happened to me yesterday when my dad called left me a message, then my brother left me another one and my dad called again to leave another voicemail. I got 1 from my dad with my brother's name instead. Weird....
  17.    #17  
    Is it just me or it takes about 2 minutes or more to get a voicemail sms forwarded from google to the Pre using youmail?
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Is it just me or it takes about 2 minutes or more to get a voicemail sms forwarded from google to the Pre using youmail?
    YouView only checks every 5 minutes for voicemails. It uses a scheduled alarm in WebOS to check for the voicemails at that interval. There's currently no way to adjust that time, so 5 minutes (unless the Palm bug that disables the alarms happens) is the longest you'd have to wait for a voicemail notification to come through.
    Also, have you guys ever received three voicemails at the same time and having them mixed up in youview? It happened to me yesterday when my dad called left me a message, then my brother left me another one and my dad called again to leave another voicemail. I got 1 from my dad with my brother's name instead. Weird....
    Treo can we pick the above issue up over in the YouView thread on the Syntactix forum to see if any others are having this issue and get to the bottom of it.

Thanks!
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
    BTW, if you set Google Voice to e-mail you when you get a voicemail message, the e-mail includes a link to the stream of the voicemail which does work on the Pre. (The e-mail also includes the funny translated text.) So, setup your GMail acc't on your Pre and either set it to check on an interval that suits you -or- also have Google Voice text you when you get a voicemail so that you know to manually check your GMail acc't to listen to the voicemail when you get the chance.