1.    #1  
    I posted this in the developer forums and didn't really get any responses so I figured I'd have a more diverse audience over here..

I'm developing a free (as it should) application called mobile enlightenment (subject to change). So far I've got a public domain version of the bhagavad-gita (saves last read position) and I'm planning on adding the tao te ching, maybe other poems and such from the vedas, chakra diagrams, simple guides to meditation. Pretty much Eastern philosophy, new age stuff. What inspired me to start this was seeing that brighthouse labs was charging 2 bux for buddah quotes. That's not right! Looking to profit financially off of this type of information is not good karma.

My goal is to have an application with a simple interface that one could look at and read throughout the day in order to relax the mind, calm the senses, provide some philosophical stimulation, and promote positivity. I'd like it to use for myself and to spread positivity and dharma (Path of Awakening). It is something that should totally 100% be free, and if I were to ever accept donations it would go towards a pilgrimage to india (haha in my dreams )

so if anyone has any ideas, material, or images, or links to material they'd like to add- post it here! This app will be offered for free with no ads on homebrew and possibly the app catalog and I'll be posting the ipk here as it comes along.
  2.    #2  
    Here attached is the ipk for the bhagavad-gita portion. It automatically saves your position when you close it, the only thing is when you put it in landscape it'll take you to a different part of the text due to the wrapping. But as long as you only read it in one orientation you should never have a problem losing your place. Enjoy and freely distribute!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    word, this sounds like a good idea I've been kinda annoyed there isn't anything free for webos apps that is eastern related. A simple meditation timer would probably be useful with a gong ending or tibetan bell or something. I'd recommend throwing in at least a couple of these texts; the heart sutra, dhammapada and eight verses of thought transformation. these are a good start and should all be pretty easily found online. apparently I haven't posted enough to link to anything so if you wanna email me I'd be happy to provide you with some good buddhist links. hope thats of some help
  4.    #4  
    nice! Thanks for the response! Sounds like a good idea, meditation timer with gongs. You got it. I'm glad to see there's others with the same interest. So far I've got the main screen down and am working on the text reader scene, I've found it's easier to use the webview widget instead of the html widget- it doesn't mess up when you switch between landscape. I'll post screenshots when I get back to my pc. If you have any other ideas, post em here at ur leisure
    I would love to see an app to cast I-ching hexagrams. I still use Easy I ching in Classic... There are free translations available. Wilhelm/Baynes is the best, with options for other translations would be great.
  6.    #6  
    Here are a couple screenshots. Let me know what you guys think about the color scheme for the book reader, figured this is easier on the eyes especially for reading in the dark.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  7.    #7  
    Got some stuff done this morning, coded it to save position on whatever you're reading when you leave the scene - no need to set mark. I'm very pleased with the readability of my color scheme, browsed around sacred-texts.com and got some ideas of what should be put in. Photoshopped a picture of buddha to put on the main screen.
    .:jIbMo:. (biatch)

Sprint Palm Pre, previously Moto Q9c, Moto Q

Palm is da bomb, don't hate!
    Nice work Jim.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmoAnest View Post
    Nice work Jim.
    thanks! my buddy who's an audio engineer is going to assist me with gong and bell sounds for the meditation timer portion of the app. He also has a couple of binaural beats he's engineered with calming music in the background... That may be a separate app though
    .:jIbMo:. (biatch)

Sprint Palm Pre, previously Moto Q9c, Moto Q

Palm is da bomb, don't hate!
    am just nowjoiningthethread ... & wldLove to use a meditation timerfor WebOS HP Touchpad .... ditto sutras etc ...can I be of any assistance ?

namsté
    This is Great. I would love a timer. A random timer. I have found it helpful to have a random signal throughout the day to bring me back to center. I used to have a small pocket timer that was very helpful. We get so caught up in the day that having a reminder (beep/signal) that can be used as a "wake up" call periodically through the day (especially at the most random of times) will help to break the Mind flow running and create an opportunity to slow down and Feel the deeper aspects. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbohsp View Post
    I posted this in the developer forums and didn't really get any responses so I figured I'd have a more diverse audience over here..

I'm developing a free (as it should) application called mobile enlightenment (subject to change). So far I've got a public domain version of the bhagavad-gita (saves last read position) and I'm planning on adding the tao te ching, maybe other poems and such from the vedas, chakra diagrams, simple guides to meditation. Pretty much Eastern philosophy, new age stuff. What inspired me to start this was seeing that brighthouse labs was charging 2 bux for buddah quotes. That's not right! Looking to profit financially off of this type of information is not good karma.

My goal is to have an application with a simple interface that one could look at and read throughout the day in order to relax the mind, calm the senses, provide some philosophical stimulation, and promote positivity. I'd like it to use for myself and to spread positivity and dharma (Path of Awakening). It is something that should totally 100% be free, and if I were to ever accept donations it would go towards a pilgrimage to india (haha in my dreams )

so if anyone has any ideas, material, or images, or links to material they'd like to add- post it here! This app will be offered for free with no ads on homebrew and possibly the app catalog and I'll be posting the ipk here as it comes along.