Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    thanks and you never need to reset to the default kernel?
    When Palm releases each new webOS version, if they have changed the kernel binary then you will need to run the Palm Kernel until they release the source code of the new kernel version (which we then modify and use to build a new UberKernel).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    When Palm releases each new webOS version, if they have changed the kernel binary then you will need to run the Palm Kernel until they release the source code of the new kernel version (which we then modify and use to build a new UberKernel).

-- Rod
    I'm sorry for the noob questions but how do you know if palm release or not a new binary code for the kernel?..
    I'm sorry for the noob questions but how do you know if palm release or not a new binary code for the kernel?..
    Developers get an early release of the update (to test / adjust their apps, etc) and it will be posted on here IF any action needs to be taken. I may be wrong (again?) but the OC kernel just would not work. It would not keep the phone from updating, etc. So, it COULD be done "after the fact" if you miss the 'warning'.
    If Palm don't change the kernel, then your existing kernel will remain installed and working.

If Palm do change the kernel, then it will overwrite your current kernel and your device will then be running the Palm kernel (you don't need to do anything).

Once we get the new kernel source code, we release the kernel update and you install it to start overclocking again.

-- Rod
    thanks guys for the time to explain me how this really work, the last question is what's the right setting to make my phone work just perfect?
    thanks guys for the time to explain me how this really work, the last question is what's the right setting to make my phone work just perfect?
    That is gonna depend on personal preference and individual phone. It is very simple to alternate, so just try different setting untill you find what you like and gives best performance / battery use.

For ME: Screenstate 500 off and 800 on works GREAT.
    Only you can answer that question.

Each phone operates differently when overclocked, and your usage patterns are unique.

-- Rod
    I just download uber- kernel and govnah...im using with screenstate 500 off and 800 on.. But I don't see too much diffence!

what about temperature? What's the right one?
    I too was on the fence, as I am an avid user of my Touchstone, and I installed the temp warning patches first to see where I was at running stock. To my dismay, my Pre always ran hot on the Touchstone and I would get device temp warnings while charging. I stepped away from the idea of overclocking due to my fears of turning my Pre into a molten slag of plastic.

But I kept reading the forums and all the people shouting the kudos of overclocking, so my inner nerd could not be held back any longer. I threw caution to the wind and installed the new UberKernel and Govenah. I have since seen three great things happen since. One, my phone is much more responsive and apps open so much quicker. It feels like how the phone should have been from the beginning. Two, my battery life seems to have improved. Not sure if this is a placebo effect, but I have no problems going all day with moderate to heavy usage with 20-40% remaining when I hook it up to charge at night. And three, my temp issues seem to have gotten better. Since overclocking, I don't get nearly as many temp warnings on the touchstone and the phone does not seem as hot when I pull it off. I am running the screenstate profile with 250/800, and this may be why my temps and battery are better, as it is running a lower speed when the screen is off. But overall, the experience has been positive.

A couple of notes for the sake of disclosure. I have had one lockup where the phone just froze mid app, and the only way I could fix it was to do a battery pull. And I cannot promise my results will be the same for everyone, your mileage may vary. But I am content with just one lockup so far, and have been happy overall with the results.
    I just download uber- kernel and govnah...im using with screenstate 500 off and 800 on.. But I don't see too much diffence!

what about temperature? What's the right one?
    What is odd is that I did the same thing. I put it on and saw little difference and was gonna remove it later that day. Thought I would give it a day, just because.

I tried out different settings throughout the day just to see what happened.

Suddenly, the 800 was MUCH faster / smoother. I have no way to explain it but I absolutely saw no difference at first and saw a HUGE difference later.

About Temp: It is a case by case issue. I have had no temp worries on mine, but have read where others (with same settings) did.

Just try out different settings and watch for temp differences.

Good luck.
    Ok I had installed uber and saw no difference and removed it. Read this, and intalled both Govnah, and uber. Where exactly do I go for the off on settings? I've opened gov and it has min 125, max 800, and set speed 500. Is this OK? Its the default I belive. What does each number change? Do I need to do anything with the uber?

Thank you gang!
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay69 View Post
    Ok I had installed uber and saw no difference and removed it. Read this, and intalled both Govnah, and uber. Where exactly do I go for the off on settings? I've opened gov and it has min 125, max 800, and set speed 500. Is this OK? Its the default I belive. What does each number change? Do I need to do anything with the uber?

Thank you gang!
    Nothing with Uber. The icon is there just to show it is on the device. You do not "launch" it.

Did you restart after loading Uber AND Govnah?

After that, launch Govnah and you will see a space labeled: 'Governor'

Click that for "state" options. Depending on what you select, you will get various setting options.

Example: Screenstate; Min / Max Freq.
    It had been suggested NOT to run less than 500mhz at this time. They developers feel that the 125mhz and 250mhz settings are unstable at this point.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    If you decide to overclock be warned that you wont want to take it off! I switched from an older version to the newest version recently. After I took the older kernel off, I played with the phone for a while and it was way sluggish and laggy. I could not apply the new version quick enough. I thought I loved my pre at 500 mhz but now that I have seen it at 800 mhz I just can't go back.
    So if I were to overclock, how would I un-overclock? If I install Uberkernal, how do I remove it without screwing something up? Do I install the Palm Default kernal? Thanks in advance
    What Time will not heal, nothing will.
    I just uninstall uberkernal, I believe you may have to download the pre kernal from preware not sure as I havnt uninstalled uberkernal I have been so pleased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk3lleton View Post
    So if I were to overclock, how would I un-overclock? If I install Uberkernal, how do I remove it without screwing something up? Do I install the Palm Default kernal? Thanks in advance
    You just uninstall it from Preware, like you would with any patch.
    The palm default kernel is a last resort recovery method.
    Ok now I just need to decide wether I'm willing to take the risk... I'm scared of having to doctor my Pre, my dad had to once and it's a real pain from what I've seen!
    What Time will not heal, nothing will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk3lleton View Post
    Ok now I just need to decide wether I'm willing to take the risk... I'm scared of having to doctor my Pre, my dad had to once and it's a real pain from what I've seen!
    If you stick to the public release uberkernel then you should not need to doctor. IT is pretty stable.
    Even if you did it really isn't that painful, and save/restore takes some of the sting out of it.
    I'm wanting to try Uber Kernal & Governah, but going to wait until after the 1.4.5 update.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast