Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry if this is terribly silly, or a conversation that shouldn't be discussed in public, but would MyTether be a decent alternative to an isp? What are the average speeds on 3G? EVDO? Does AT&T or Verizon put a cap on how much data you can use? I wonder how I can find out how much data I am using on my current ISP?

If that would work, I'd have to figure out a solution for my landline, because I have it through a voip, but that would be worth it to get rid of the $50/mo cable internet bill.
    Wouldn't advise it, 5g limit and tethering not officially supported for Sprint or AT&T.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Its less a problem of can it be done and more a question of ethics. Also top speeds on 3g are not comparable to a decent land line connection.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeganDoomFire View Post
    Its less a problem of can it be done and more a question of ethics. Also top speeds on 3g are not comparable to a decent land line connection.
    The ethics of using mytether altogether, or just mytether for an isp replacement?
    are you ok using your phone for everything but a phone? If that's the case, why do you have a phone?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    are you ok using your phone for everything but a phone? If that's the case, why do you have a phone?
    Not sure what you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    Not sure what you mean?
    If you use it as your ISP... can you still talk on it? And if you take it with you to the store, does no one need internet access while you are gone?

I don't know the answer, but I know I couldn't do that instead of broadband in my house or at my job.
    The 3G that I get here is ~ that of a 1.5mbit dsl line. So very crappy

With att he probably could Cantaffordit damn gsm lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    The 3G that I get here is ~ that of a 1.5mbit dsl line. So very crappy

With att he probably could Cantaffordit damn gsm lol
    Only if he lives alone... If broadband left the house with me, my family would kill me. They need internet access when I'm gone. And I need my phone with me...
  10.    #10  
    If you use it as your ISP... can you still talk on it? And if you take it with you to the store, does no one need internet access while you are gone?

I don't know the answer, but I know I couldn't do that instead of broadband in my house or at my job.
    Oh, I see what you are saying. I was thinking about with AT&T, being able to use the data and voice at the same time. Does mytether make the voice unavailable?

My wife is not a big internet user, so when I am gone, there wouldn't be much need for her to be online. Plus, with the money I'd save on not paying for an ISP, I'd have money available for a data plan for her and still save money.
    Oh, I see what you are saying. I was thinking about with AT&T, being able to use the data and voice at the same time. Does mytether make the voice unavailable?

My wife is not a big internet user, so when I am gone, there wouldn't be much need for her to be online. Plus, with the money I'd save on not paying for an ISP, I'd have money available for a data plan for her and still save money.
    I don't know if the voice would work with mytether running or not. You need to try it and let us know. I know that the phone would get really hot with voice and data running full blast, and your battery life would be about 60 minutes. It would have to be on a constant charge, and if the charger could keep up with all that stress - the added heat of charging (even through the usb port) would heat your phone up to egg-frying levels.

But, give it a quick try so we at least know if mytether and voice calls can run together on AT&T. Also, I see that free tethering was listed as a feature on the AT&T site... how are they providing that? Is it the old dial-up access that was used previously? I couldn't find any more info but that they said tethering was included. Any idea?
    As far as ethics; Att has a tether plan.
    With Att, you can do data and talk at the same time.

I have a similar need.
    I have no internet access at my house, so I have a Sprint Modem.

Though I'm with Att, I still went with a Sprint Modem, because I get Wimax at my office. Once LTE is up, I'll prolly dump the Sprint data.
  13.    #13  
    I don't know if the voice would work with mytether running or not. You need to try it and let us know. I know that the phone would get really hot with voice and data running full blast, and your battery life would be about 60 minutes. It would have to be on a constant charge, and if the charger could keep up with all that stress - the added heat of charging (even through the usb port) would heat your phone up to egg-frying levels.

But, give it a quick try so we at least know if mytether and voice calls can run together on AT&T. Also, I see that free tethering was listed as a feature on the AT&T site... how are they providing that? Is it the old dial-up access that was used previously? I couldn't find any more info but that they said tethering was included. Any idea?
    I wouldn't be using the phone and the data constantly, and rarely at the same time. It would be one thing if we were constantly streaming video or audio 24hrs a day, but we are just using the internet for email, web browsing, etc..

Regarding the tethering, I see that AT&T has a $60 smartphone data plan that includes tethering. I guess that is what you are seeing? It is funny, the $30 data plan says that it gives you unlimited data, and the $60 plan only gives you 5GB.
    the unlimited plan is for data used by the phone. Browser, email, etc etc. Same as verizon. If you tether, the data going to your PC is counted toward the 5gb cap. none of the phone data use counts.
    \
    That's why they don't like MyTether. It makes the attached PC look like it is the phone, and therefore it should work with the $30 plan and they can't tell what you are doing. At least, not yet.
  15.    #15  
    Just curious, with Pre on Verizon, when you are surfing the internet, and then receive a phone call, do you get a notification, or does it go straight to voicemail?
    Well aside from the various ethics questions, or function questions, I would say the bottom line is no.

If you are a fairly regular internet user , and frankly probably anyone posting on this forum, is between fairly regular, and Obsessive Complusive (myself included), I just dont think speeds of less than the 1mbs download with tethering as a regular user would be at all a satisfying experience.

That said, I DO tether, and its a GREAT thing to have for those times needed, when nothing else is available.

But as it is now, it does not replace regular high speed cable or even average DSL

For example, and I guess Im somewhat spoiled.

This is what I get at home on my Cable Broadband:

And here is about the best I ever get on a tethered connection on my Pre

I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Just curious, with Pre on Verizon, when you are surfing the internet, and then receive a phone call, do you get a notification, or does it go straight to voicemail?
    The phone rings and the data connection is suspended. It is a phone before anything else, so phone calls take priority.
  18.    #18  
    The phone rings and the data connection is suspended. It is a phone before anything else, so phone calls take priority.
    I agree. Just curious. The reason I ask is because with my Treo, whenever I am on the internet or checking email, the call goes straight to voicemail and I don't know that I am getting a call. I don't like this.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Well aside from the various ethics questions, or function questions, I would say the bottom line is no.

If you are a fairly regular internet user , and frankly probably anyone posting on this forum, is between fairly regular, and Obsessive Complusive (myself included), I just dont think speeds of less than the 1mbs download with tethering as a regular user would be at all a satisfying experience.

That said, I DO tether, and its a GREAT thing to have for those times needed, when nothing else is available.

But as it is now, it does not replace regular high speed cable or even average DSL

For example, and I guess Im somewhat spoiled.

And here is about the best I ever get on a tethered connection on my Pre

Wow, Yes, I'd say you ARE spoiled, with those speeds.

Yeah, I guess you're right. It's not really pracitical. I am just turning over every stone, looking for the best way to manage all of this. As it turns out, looks like AT&T has a huge promotion right now and I can cut my internet bill in half, plus get faster internet, if I switch.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post

Does your download speed have a decimal in the wrong place?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast