1.    #1  
    When I got my Pre in September '09, I ported my phone # from AT&T to the Pre. Unbeknownst to me, the NavTech account seems to be under that old original phone number before the porting and now the phone says my account with NavTech hs expired.

I called NavTech and they said it is a Sprint issue. Sprint wasn't sure how to do it so they checked with Palm on how to reactivate. Sprint says the navigation is tied to the phone number. Not the phone. They said that I have to do a hard reset on the phone before they can reactivate it.

I have a hard time believing that one has to do a hard reset to get navigation to work again. I would really hate to go through the pain or reinstalling all my apps, not to mention the risk of loss of data, especially knowing that these things don't always work.

Anybody with experience in this area?

Thanks.
    ding ding ding we have a winner! That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. I would ask the Sprint rep to escalate you to a vp level, and then just read that post to them... if they have any intelligence, their head should explode from shear embarrassment for how that sounds.

...the activation of the navtec service is tied to a phone number, and because the number was originally associated with a paid service, it isn't able to understand that it is now associated with a number that doesn't require payment...

You've either discovered a major flaw in the design of their system, or an opportunity for Sprint to figure out how to provision a service that has already been provisioned.

I used to work for a company that had a private label service that carriers sold. I was trying to think back on how we would have handled this. The carrier would have called the vendor (me) and told them to manually flip whatever bit is needed to associate your number with sprint and a non-fee service.

But, the devious side of me says that every sprint user should instantly switch to AT&T because it sounds like they would all be associated with sprint, and they would therefore get the service for free....

My head is already starting to hurt as I type this. Someone at Sprint should be able to hit Navtec over the head hard enough for them to fix this in the system...
  3. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclingdaddy View Post
    When I got my Pre in September '09, I ported my phone # from AT&T to the Pre. Unbeknownst to me, the NavTech account seems to be under that old original phone number before the porting and now the phone says my account with NavTech hs expired.

I called NavTech and they said it is a Sprint issue. Sprint wasn't sure how to do it so they checked with Palm on how to reactivate. Sprint says the navigation is tied to the phone number. Not the phone. They said that I have to do a hard reset on the phone before they can reactivate it.

I have a hard time believing that one has to do a hard reset to get navigation to work again. I would really hate to go through the pain or reinstalling all my apps, not to mention the risk of loss of data, especially knowing that these things don't always work.

Anybody with experience in this area?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ding ding ding we have a winner! That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. I would ask the Sprint rep to escalate you to a vp level, and then just read that post to them... if they have any intelligence, their head should explode from shear embarrassment for how that sounds.

...the activation of the navtec service is tied to a phone number, and because the number was originally associated with a paid service, it isn't able to understand that it is now associated with a number that doesn't require payment...

You've either discovered a major flaw in the design of their system, or an opportunity for Sprint to figure out how to provision a service that has already been provisioned.

I used to work for a company that had a private label service that carriers sold. I was trying to think back on how we would have handled this. The carrier would have called the vendor (me) and told them to manually flip whatever bit is needed to associate your number with sprint and a non-fee service.

But, the devious side of me says that every sprint user should instantly switch to AT&T because it sounds like they would all be associated with sprint, and they would therefore get the service for free....

My head is already starting to hurt as I type this. Someone at Sprint should be able to hit Navtec over the head hard enough for them to fix this in the system...
    Just to clarify, the company is Telenav . That being said, I used to run into this issue on occasion with my Centro and Sprint. Sprint needs to fix the issue with Telenav. Just get a more intelligent person from Sprint on the phone (sometimes it would take me a couple of calls!), and they should be able to fix the problem for you. Telenav will probably need to "cancel" and then "reactivate" the account associated with your phone number (since they knew it as an AT&T accountant which has since expired), and then you should be all set.
  4.    #4  
    AY - You are correct, it is Telenav. Although I did call Telenav and they said that only Sprint could reactivate the service. I agree with Cantaffordit that I'm just not getting the right person at Sprint. What is amazing is that this is a corporate phone and we are dealing with supposedly experienced corporate account reps at Sprint.

By the way, this is my first encounter with Sprint service since I got the phone in September, so I am probably better off than most people. Says something for the Pre, I guess.