View Poll Results: Who Still Uses Classic?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use Classic, and I expect I always will

26 21.49%
  • I use Classic now, but I hope to migrate off of it

39 32.23%
  • I once used Classic, but not anymore

24 19.83%
  • I never used Classic

32 26.45%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hey all --

I depend on Classic for Audible Player, Life Balance, and Datebk6.
    curious if you all had to buy docs to go. My treo 680 had it and I don't know how to get it if I buy classic. Should I wait for spreadsheet editing on the pre? Also Datebook 6 was on my phone before the 680, did you have to buy that again or use the old sync id? Are there any programs that don't work on the classic?
  3.    #43  
    I used the old sync ID for DXTG.

There are a lot of threads about what works and what doesn't.

I haven't been able to get e-mail working, which is frustrating. Not that I really care to use Classic, but if I could send an e-mail to myself out of Classic, then I could pick it up in WebOS and use the data there via copy/paste.

The sound does not work the same. As far as I know, any app that uses Palm sounds like alarms does not make any sound.
    I started using Classic again after my trials for Pepid and Lexicomp expired.

Nothing comes close to the amount of medical apps I had in Palms...
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    Every time I see a new comment about Classic, it shocks me. I realize that there were a lot of great things available on PalmOS; and I miss them too. But running an emulator of a dead platform on a next generation device is backwards thinking. I bought Classic, got upset like all of you, and finally gave up.

Even IF there's some greater version coming, the idea is still flawed. Instead of lining pockets of out of date developers, ALL emphasis should be going to finding a way to produce software designed to run on the modern OS. I don't know any iPhone users who run emulators of Macintosh's from the '90s.

Move on, let it go... There's too much available (including on other platforms) to be so insistent on keeping this old stuff alive.

In my opinion, anyway.
    Yes, just your opinion, well-stated, I might add, and this forum is a great place to express it.

For me, I'm very glad to have the option of Classic, despite a couple of warts. There are just a few things that the apps available on webOS can't do, and Classic fills that gap.
    I mostly use it for:
    Password Plus (probably twice a week)
    Warfare Inc
    Memos
    Docs to Go
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Daily:
    BibleReader (OliveTree.com)

Freequent:
    DocsToGo

Infrequent:
    Explorer
    McChords
    CardTXT - to copy text to USB so I could pickup in WebOS
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Have a lot of old Palm apps that will probably never make to webOS.
    The same for me...
    Seems odd to me that developers who had success with Palm OS wouldn't update their apps to work with WebOS. They've got to know that as time passes, less and less people will be using Palm OS and therefore will not be purchasing any upgrades.

Personally, I have only two apps that I really miss not using; Datebk6 and InfoSafe Plus. But I just can't bring myself to purchase an expensive app (Classic) just to get those two old apps to work on my new Pre+. And, the fact that they the old apps don't have full functionality with Classic/WebOS, makes it easier to give up on them. Still, I miss all they had to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent86 View Post
    Seems odd to me that developers who had success with Palm OS wouldn't update their apps to work with WebOS. They've got to know that as time passes, less and less people will be using Palm OS and therefore will not be purchasing any upgrades.

Personally, I have only two apps that I really miss not using; Datebk6 and InfoSafe Plus. But I just can't bring myself to purchase an expensive app (Classic) just to get those two old apps to work on my new Pre+. And, the fact that they the old apps don't have full functionality with Classic/WebOS, makes it easier to give up on them. Still, I miss all they had to offer.
    Classic is not expensive anymore
    is there a classic specific version of docs to go? I tried the one I had for my Treo and it told me it wasn't compatible with this device...
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Classic is not expensive anymore
    ?? At $30 it is one of the most expensive webOS apps. Nothing cheap about it.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    is there a classic specific version of docs to go? I tried the one I had for my Treo and it told me it wasn't compatible with this device...
    What version are you running? I'm running v8.003 (239) and it works just fine.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123