Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    Dear Palm and MotionApps:

    In Classic, you have set up a maintenance nightmare. MotionApps has to depend on Palm's webOS release cycle just to fix bugs introduced by releases of webOS. This extends the cycle time for fixing bugs by months. In the mean time, users suffer. Please get together and set up a better way for MotionApps to distribute updates to their application. How bad would it be to send out a webOS release where the entire change log consisted of updates for MotionApps?
  2. #2  
    I think because of the low lever access classic requires, there probally isn't a way to update it without updatong the entire os.
  3. Barebuns's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #3  
    I find it amazing that Palm hasn't joined themselves at the hip to ensure that Classic is as compatible as possible. When you throw Classic apps into the app count, it's got to be a phenomenal increase in number of apps that run on the Pre/Pixi.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I think because of the low lever access classic requires, there probally isn't a way to update it without updatong the entire os.
    I fully understand the technical situation. My request is for PALM to find a way to send out OS updates for Classic. Even if the entire purpose of the update is just for Classic. The interval between acknowledging a bug and fixing it is just too long.
  5.    #5  
    Another thing to consider is that maybe at the time Classic was conceived and implemented, the only way for it to work would have been via special low-level access. Maybe since webOS has matured a little (i.e. PDK), maybe it is possible to re-architect Classic so that is separated from the core OS.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    Another thing to consider is that maybe at the time Classic was conceived and implemented, the only way for it to work would have been via special low-level access. Maybe since webOS has matured a little (i.e. PDK), maybe it is possible to re-architect Classic so that is separated from the core OS.
    Or perhaps in time they should go the opposite way and integrate Classic even more tightly into webOS so that PalmOS apps can be launched from the webOS launcher and run without the long delay of loading Classic and won't be second class citizens that can't cut and paste data with other apps.
  7.    #7  
    I would love to see better integration, like being able to use the general webOS clipblard. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd first prefer they correct the bug/fix cycle problem.
    Last edited by RJKinsman; 05/12/2010 at 04:54 AM.
  8. #8  
    I doubt that Palm would ever release an OS update just for Classic. It would require the carriers to approve, plus everyone would have to download it, whether or not they were running Classic. It would be much better to separate Classic from the OS, as RJKinsman has mentioned.
  9. #9  
    Who still uses classic?
  10. #10  
    I do, for a critical app that will not likely be ported to webOS.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    Who still uses classic?
    There are a number of functions that can't be done without Classic. When Classic has a problem, MotionApps is hamstrung when it comes to issuing timely fixes.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    Or perhaps in time they should go the opposite way and integrate Classic even more tightly into webOS so that PalmOS apps can be launched from the webOS launcher and run without the long delay of loading Classic and won't be second class citizens that can't cut and paste data with other apps.
    this is what i , and I imagine a lucrative number of others would like.

    add the ability to buy classic apps from the app store, and you could se a huge number of the 20,000 estemated palmOS apps in the catalog quickly. Sure it would probably be a fraction of the total apps. But that fraction is likely to consist of developers whos apps were popular and in demand already. Things like datebk, isilo, ect. A large influx of tried and true productivity apps is something webOS could use. They don't have to be pretty, just functional. The biggest hurdle would be adding some "double tap to zoom" or other ability to make non stylus input more fluid.
  13.    #13  
    Please don't change the subject. If you want to post about something else, start a new thread.

    The subject of this thread is an appeal to Motionapps and Palm getting together to correct the horrendously long bug/fix cycle.
  14. #14  
    There are some great insights and suggestions here. Thanks much.
    Follow us on Twitter

    Hang out with us on Facebook

    Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    Who still uses classic?
    I do! As I mentioned in another thread, there are some great things that can be done with Classic that have no equivalent in webOS.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Codon 66 View Post
    I do! As I mentioned in another thread, there are some great things that can be done with Classic that have no equivalent in webOS.
    +1
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  17.    #17  
    Codon 66, ChasT, I appreciate you're responses to babydaddy75, but he's really changing the subject. I would like to keep this thread on the orignal subject, an appeal to MotionApps and Palm to get together and come up with a better process for getting more timely fixes to problems in Classic.

    We've heard from MotionApps, thanks!

    Palm -- where are you on this? Can you please post a response? Thanks!
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    Codon 66, ChasT, I appreciate you're responses to babydaddy75, but he's really changing the subject. I would like to keep this thread on the orignal subject, an appeal to MotionApps and Palm to get together and come up with a better process for getting more timely fixes to problems in Classic.

    We've heard from MotionApps, thanks!

    Palm -- where are you on this? Can you please post a response? Thanks!
    Totally agree with your posts and the other suggestions.

    I'd love to see Classic work better/quicker as standalone, or manage to be integrated into webOS so that PalmOS apps could be used direct from the webOS screens.

    And it's great that MA are on-board too.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I'd love to see Classic work better/quicker as standalone, or manage to be integrated into webOS so that PalmOS apps could be used direct from the webOS screens.
    If those kind of enhancements come with a shorter bug/fix cycle, great. Otherwise, I would like to see the bug/fix cycle problem corrected first.

    Palm? Where are you? What is your position? Could you please weigh in on this? Even if your response is no more than something like, "yes, we know it's a problem, but we can't fix it right now, and we appreciate your patience," that would be better than deafening silence!

    Thanks!!!!!
  20.    #20  
    BTW, I'm doing the best I can to keep this thread on topic. If you want to create a thread about enhancements you would like to see in Classic, or who still uses Classic, or anything else, by all means, be my guest (Precentral's)!

    But this thread is about the bug/fix cycle described in my original post. Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions