Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just saw the flashlight app. Flashlight. App. Costs $0.99. Are you kidding? Now, not to compare to the iPhone cause I realize they have a much larger user base to get your name out there, but I rarely see any good things to DL that don't cost money. Is there something I'm missing? Yes I realize people spend time and time is money, but some of these things are ridiculous. If you have a good app people (such as myself) will donate. But seriously, a quitting smoking tracker that costs $1.99?

Someone tell me if I'm out of line here.

EDIT: And I don't mean to sound condescending, there are apps that are 100% worth every penny and the people who work on them deserve it.
    Last edited by Walter E Kurtz; 05/11/2010 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Confusion
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    I do agree somewhat. I understand that people need to make money, and I also understand that a smaller userbase means a dev may see a need to charge more to make any return on investment. But the flipside of that is that so many apps cost money, especially like you said the useful ones, that people hit a spending limit and then choose to DL only free apps. Or like me only dl free apps as a general rule. It's a strange situation but I think with more users comes more devs comes more free (or at least cheap) apps.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    I just saw the flashlight app. Flashlight. App. Costs $0.99. Are you kidding? ... Someone tell me if I'm out of line here.
    Code:
    <html>
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    </body>
    </html>
    there you go; a flashlight application i agree with you that some applications only involve like 5 minutes of work - while others can get quite complicated and detailed. in the end; a submission of your app to palm requires $50 US payment - which, needs to be recouped at some point. unless you develop for a hobby, you also need to feed yourself.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Mobile 1UP, http://www.mobile1up.com/
    Caveman, Caveman HD (touchpad), Cronk and GW Series available on web OS
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Why do apps cost money? Why do you work? Or is everything in life free for you?
    People spend:
    $4 on coffees
    $10 on Martinis
    $15 on a movie drink and popcorn
    $24 on large pizza's
    all that you excrete within 48 hours.

You can't pay for a buck or two for a app that is useful for a two years?
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    People spend:
    $4 on coffees
    $10 on Martinis
    $24 on large pizza's

some apps yes, others no.. Depends.. I'm willing to spend cash on useful apps, but i'm not spending cash to read a book that's on the web for free.

I refuse to do that.
    /facepalm

I'm on the other end of the spectrum here. I love technology and I love that app stores allow me to greatly enhance the functionality of my device. I have often payed .99 for an app that ends up being extremely helpful to me, on my pre and on other platforms, and am more than willing to do so again if more apps come along that I find useful/appealing.
    I'm not going to call the OP any names, but I don't agree in general terms. We sem to all agree that a large selection in the app catalog will be important for Palm to compete wit Android and iPhone.

The best way to attract developers is for them to see it as a profitable neterprise.

I don't think the spam-app people should be maing money packaging public-domain books (Dijit, really? Brighthouse, are you crazy??).

But for stuff that serves a purpose, I have no problem paying for apps. I just wish I could try them for 24 hours before paying because I've purchased a few turkeys.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    People spend:
    $4 on coffees
    $10 on Martinis
    $24 on large pizza's

LoL

Seriously? I spend money on food to stay alive...

Quote Originally Posted by ardiri View Post

a submission of your app to palm requires $50 US payment - which, needs to be recouped at some point.
    That I didn't know. Apple has to have a similar formula, why are there so many free apps there?
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Yes, I am a big fan of being able to afford to eat.

You're right. A flashlight app for $1 is a bit silly. Things like the infamous iFart on iPhone shooting to #1 make all us developers that spend months on games cringe.
    [ Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike on Twitter | Blog ]
    Smiles [Drop Video, Zen Video] the award winning puzzle game is now on webOS 1.4.0+ (PDK)
    Now Available: Smiles Zen and Smiles Drop (standalone) with Pixi support! (1.4.5+ only)
    Free apps are not subject to the 50.00 fee as of right now!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

I had no idea that Palm charged $50 to submit an app. Excuse my french, but thats ****ing nuts.

They wanna charge $50 to submit a non-free app? That sounds great. Free apps should be submitted for free too. No wonder there arent nearly as many free apps for WebOS as there is android or the iphone.

edit: just noticed 2sslow's post above mine
    I haven't seen this flashlight app, but I assume it's one that activates the camera 'flash' LED. That's something that I'd actually find really useful - it used to infuriate me on my old WinMo device that there wasn't any way to access that feature.

Now, I could save myself the 99 cents and write my own flashlight. But I'd have to rummage around in the documentation for how to access it, and come up with a nice UI, and probably have a couple of runs at it before it was all working properly. That's easily used up more than 99 cents of my time, on a problem that's not terribly interesting to me and has already been solved by someone else. If I weren't a developer, it would take considerably longer.

(As it turns out, it's all moot because I can't buy apps in New Zealand, but you get the point…)

If you don't think it's worth 99 cents to you, well, no problem. Just don't buy it.

As far as the general question is concerned, I charge for my apps because otherwise my family would starve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    LoL

Seriously? I spend money on food to stay alive...
    Sucks to be you I guess or maybe not. People pay $10 to avoid traffic, (91 fwy-toll roads), they pay $8 to avoid walking from parking lots (valet), they pay for $100- $1000's for closer seats at a concert that consists of audio amusement, $5,000 premium for an electric car that saves them $2K in gas, $20 to mow their lawn and $80 to view movies via cable that in 6 weeks they could rent for $4 in 4 months they could rent for $1 and if they were patient they could rent for free at the library. It's supply and demad.
    OK, so it looks like the question is more about why there isn't such a rush to free apps on WebOS as there is on the iPhone. There's this beguiling idea that people are making money around free apps. It turns out, though, that most people aren't.

The approaches are:

Free+Advertising. You need to shift insane numbers to make any meaningful money this way (and that means a really simple, populist idea, really good marketing, and a lot of luck). And, of course, you need those intrusive adverts.

Free+Donations. No way to make a living. If you're a charismatic and well known developer you can get somewhere with this, but people I know who've tried this route made embarrassingly small returns on it.

Freemium. This is where you give a game away for free, but use social obligations and psychological tricks to sell people $200 virtual shotguns. Again, you need to shift large numbers for this to work. Also, you have to have a fundamental contempt for your fellow man.

I'm sticking to the boring traditional approach of making the best game I possibly can, and hoping that people like it enough to buy it.
    yeah, with people releasing patches that avoid ads in the apps, it's a great deal to spend your efforts and throw 50 bucks (developers have to pay for free apps too) for nothing...
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Free apps are not subject to the 50.00 fee as of right now!
    not true. all applications listed in the app catalog, unless you are open source - require a fee of $50 US. this means if we wanted to release a demo/trial version, it would cost $50 additional. you can submit a web application for free - but anything in the app catalog costs. effektz, our demo was subject to the $50 US fee as well.

this *IS A GOOD THING* - it may not sound like it, but consider the other alternative? 2000 useful apps, or 100,000 useless ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz
    That I didn't know. Apple has to have a similar formula, why are there so many free apps there?
    apple has a flat fee of $99 per annum, regardless of the number of applications. there are so much junk/crap in the store because it doesn't cost anything to list the applications. developers spam the store, meaning legitimate developers trying to make a living get slower review times and flooded within the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient James
    OK, so it looks like the question is more about why there isn't such a rush to free apps on WebOS as there is on the iPhone. There's this beguiling idea that people are making money around free apps. It turns out, though, that most people aren't.
    it is a good thing that palm charges money for the review process etc - it keeps the crap out of the store. unless you think you'll make a few dollars, do not bother submitting it. that said, we submitted 10 apps, some have covered the $50 fee, some haven't even sold a single copy. overall, we are in front however - mainly because we were early and got some press.

someone has to pay for the team that reviews the applications.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Mobile 1UP, http://www.mobile1up.com/
    Caveman, Caveman HD (touchpad), Cronk and GW Series available on web OS
    I just wanted to point out that the "Flashlight" apps in the official App Catalog only turn the screen white. The API for the camera LED isn't officially available. However, there are flashlight apps in Preware that use the camera LED
    For the OP:

Supply and demand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you think the price of the flashlight app is too high, don't buy it. If others agree, the rational thing would be for the dev. to lower the price until the dev. maximizes their profits (or the dev. can't make it worthwhile and stops working on apps.).
    Last edited by horatio8; 05/11/2010 at 07:54 AM.
    Alright. Since you asked. You're an ***.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast