Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevealaniz View Post
    (And please, if someone mentions a certain film by a certain filmmaker that looks like the offspring of a pig and larger pig, and who also is behind on bathing about 5 years, I will literally isht myself)
    You already have. Take it to Off-Topic, please.
    why do apps cost money?

Because open source/donationware doesn't pay. And developers that make something rewarding deserve to get paid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient James View Post
    I haven't seen this flashlight app, but I assume it's one that activates the camera 'flash' LED. That's something that I'd actually find really useful - it used to infuriate me on my old WinMo device that there wasn't any way to access that feature.

Now, I could save myself the 99 cents and write my own flashlight. But I'd have to rummage around in the documentation for how to access it, and come up with a nice UI, and probably have a couple of runs at it before it was all working properly. That's easily used up more than 99 cents of my time, on a problem that's not terribly interesting to me and has already been solved by someone else. If I weren't a developer, it would take considerably longer.

(As it turns out, it's all moot because I can't buy apps in New Zealand, but you get the point…)

If you don't think it's worth 99 cents to you, well, no problem. Just don't buy it.

As far as the general question is concerned, I charge for my apps because otherwise my family would starve.
    I accessed the camera flash LED for my flashlight for free through Preware.
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by stevealaniz View Post
    I have one question though. Has anyone thought about what the prices of apps are gonna look like on an HP tablet? Are devs gonna follow the same trend as the IPad and charge 10x to have a nice high res version?
    Yes, I do think a majority will charge more, but pricing a game today is such a difficult question. I come from a console game background, so these past couple years getting my business off the ground have been an interesting series of kicks to the face. . Practically every year since the 360 launched, the market has changed dramatically from the year before it.

After leaving my dayjob working on licensed games (Disney, Mattel, etc), I pitched an XBLA project (based on this), which was eventually turned down. That was the (now) old downloadable games business where you had to pass pre-approvals (XBLA still works that way, but now there's XBLIG). Today you have downloadable console games on Xbox360, PlayStation 3, and Wii. Those go for on average about $10, and are trending upward.

Then you have downloadable PC games, which are usually about $20. Though thanks to the recklessness of the casual games industry, and in some ways Steam, PC downloadable games are trending around $10. Steam should be thanked too, since it opened the mass market to lower priced PC games for the core gamer audience, but this only works when you're selling more than twice the number of copies you would at twice the price.

"Old Mobile" got replaced almost overnight by iPhone App Store like platforms, and is practically the dominant market for downloadable games now. Due to fierce competition prices go as low as $1, but some of us can push $5, though the value of anything over $1 will continue to be scrutinized.

Nintendo DS and PSP are adapting, but the costs to start and distribute are higher than mobile and PC. You need development tools which cost a few thousand, then ratings per region (US, Europe/UK, Australia) which can cost thousands more. It'll be rare to see games less than $5 here (unless part of a series, or just $1 less).

And now we have large format devices like the iPad and HPalm Slate to consider. Netbooks too. Where do they fit in to this picture?

That should give you an idea of the dilemma we as developers run in to, especially those of us developing for multiple platforms. Such exciting questions as:

- If a Netbook is a PC, should we charge the PC price?
    - If an iPad/Tablet/Slate is a PC/Netbook replacement, should they also charge the PC price?
    - Isn't the iPad just a big iPod?
    - Thanks to the screen size, I can run my PC game as-is on an iPad/Tablet/Slate (too small for iPhone/Palm Pre). Do I now have to charge 1/3rd of the price for the exact same game?
    [ Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike on Twitter | Blog ]
    Smiles [Drop Video, Zen Video] the award winning puzzle game is now on webOS 1.4.0+ (PDK)
    Now Available: Smiles Zen and Smiles Drop (standalone) with Pixi support! (1.4.5+ only)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Ninjas View Post
    I accessed the camera flash LED for my flashlight for free through Preware.
    Yes, I've installed that now

Nonetheless, I'd have been happy to pay for it.
    Getting something great for no cost, just the hard work of others? What a genius!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Like others have said - if you don't like it then don't buy it. Vote with your dollars.
    I don't know why some of you idiots are pretending as if the OP just literally meant "why aren't all apps free?"...learn how to read...

I wholeheartedly agree with his sentiment for one...thinking REASONABLY, I find it hard to believe someone would actually put a price on something as simple as an app that turns your screen white (or why someone would actually make an APP out of it for that matter)...or an app that just runs off random sound clips from a famous old movie...and even more clueless are the people actually paying money for things like that...had I been an avid developer (which I am not), putting hard work into apps that actually have some kind of decent functionality, it'd be hard for me to stomach seeing this apps being bought over mine; it's pretty much a mockery to those of you who actually work hard...

Why do I buy food? Because I eat to live...and the guy at the fast food restaurant isn't handing me a PICTURE of the food, the fact that he prepared it is actually CONVENIENT...
    <rude comment removed>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/29/2013 at 04:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FleetwoodSho View Post
    I don't know why some of you idiots are pretending as if the OP just literally meant "why aren't all apps free?"...learn how to read...

I wholeheartedly agree with his sentiment for one...thinking REASONABLY, I find it hard to believe someone would actually put a price on something as simple as an app that turns your screen white (or why someone would actually make an APP out of it for that matter)...or an app that just runs off random sound clips from a famous old movie...and even more clueless are the people actually paying money for things like that...had I been an avid developer (which I am not), putting hard work into apps that actually have some kind of decent functionality, it'd be hard for me to stomach seeing this apps being bought over mine; it's pretty much a mockery to those of you who actually work hard...

Why do I buy food? Because I eat to live...and the guy at the fast food restaurant isn't handing me a PICTURE of the food, the fact that he prepared it is actually CONVENIENT...
    <rude comment removed>
    This is very mixed up. The reason people put paid apps in the catalogue is because they believe there is a market for them that will generate them a profit.
    What you see as a relevant and useful app is different to my view and every other persons views. That is why people buy apps that you think are 'crap', others have uses for them that you are too limited to see.
    Nobody is forcing you to pay money for an app, so what other prople are willing to buy should not affect you.

Yes and ofcourse you buy food to eat, but you pay that bit extra for fast food because you enjoy the convenience and taste of it not because you have to eat fast food. It is a choice of yours that you eat such food. So let devs and users have the right of choice on what apps they sell/buy without being criticised.

An as far your last paragraph, that is a very pathetic and unjust opinion that resembles the truth in no way. I don't think I need to say more.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/29/2013 at 04:26 PM.
    I've found alot of stuff in the app catalog that is interesting. If they build it, someone is likely to buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I find that people will litterally buy feces and put it on their grass... should they get it for free just because it came out a horses rear end?
    Great analogy, I just wish I had read it before I ate.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Dude be real here. You pay for those things you want. In the real world rarely will anything be free. You pay the differnce between Coke, and fake Coke because you want to. Why do you pay a premium for a Porsche, and not for a KIA. Its rediculous to even post your question.

I dont mean to sound rude, and I apologize in advance, but really!
    I think it's great that we have both free and paid software. It's like with open source software and freeware on desktops. Some people write apps for themselves and decide to share it with others. Some do it for fun. But we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that software development is for the most part a business. I just wish there were more good apps available. As far as I know, we can't even edit documents or play audio books (though the Music Remix allows resume). Or how about a turn by turn navigation program that doesn't rely on a monthly fee (I'm on Verizon)? I would gladly pay for those apps and a lot more than 99 cents. Although I shudder to think what DataViz will charge for Docs to Go!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123